• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the answer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psybertec

I bought a prebuilt system back in April 2013 which lead me to pursuit pc tech (currently studying for CompTIA) and learn to build my own systems. I bought the system for gaming expecting to play Arma 3 with no probs but that was not the way it went. Since then Ive upgraded the gpu to try to improve the system but still having trouble in getting optimal gameplay in fps like COD:Ghost (lag and such)which lead me to this site thinking I may need to learn to overclock if not upgrade my CPU. Ive dabbled a little in the bios to no avail and havent got noticable results in the AMD ECC. I was sure the graphics card I just purchased would be up to the challenge but not sure now. Have set all adjustments back to default. I need help so here I am. My CPU is in my specs & its a 3.3GHz. I have 16GB DDR3 and my card is DDR5..is that a prob?

I also noticed when I put the new card in (3 weeks ago) I was getting 200 FPS on BO2 and recently it started dropping to 100 and below throughout online gameplay. Checked for driver updates and all is good. Why the sudden drop, causing lag and also getting "connection interuption" a lot lately. Good ping though.

I also noticed when I put the new card in (3 weeks ago) I was getting 200 FPS on BO2 and recently it started dropping to 100 and below throughout online gameplay. Checked for driver updates and all is good. Why the sudden drop, causing lag and also getting "connection interuption" a lot lately. Good ping though.

I know that AMD is a little weaker than Intel, but 6 cores at 3.3 GHz... Seems weird that it would be the cpu.

I can relate to the fps dropping; I got an Msi N550GTX Cyclone II OC edition video card from a classmate for free, and when I replaced my GT 420 with it, fps in Minecraft were upwards of 400! No, I struggle to maintain 100 fps :(

I still have yet to figure out why, except that the gpu usage during Minecraft is below 40%, yet in Far Cry 2, it's 100% and I get 80 fps on full settings.
low gpu usage is probably to blame for your fps drop--and I have no fix. (if you find one, let me know!)

EDIT: I see it's pre-built... You're in the same boat as me Here is my thread in regards to overclocking my sig rig. It too is pre-built OEM.

Thre might be some useful info as I look deeper for an overclocking answer for my rig.

What would cause low GPU usage? I think I'm currently @ 900mhz...I guess I would open the ecc in game play n watch it?

"connection interuption"
Is an internet issue not related to the Gpu or Cpu. You can check your gpu usage by downloading Gpu -Z go to the sensor tab and then log to a file while playing. Go back and check the file and see if the gpu is loading up fully.

Back