• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help deciding between these 2 boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JRoX85

Registered
I am a newb at pc building, making the switch from consoles this xmas.. I will be picking up either an AMD 8320 or 8350 on blk friday and need help deciding between these two.

The majority of my time will be spent on general use, with gaming and streaming video 2nd most. I am looking for best bang for buck and trying to keep numbers to a reasonable amnt as I am a family man and my children come first..

1)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

2)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

The Sabertooth is the better of the two boards and will be better able to handle the heat generated by an FX 8-core chip.

I don't know about the new Rev 4.0 boards but the Rev 3.0 of the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 doesn't have proper power management settings in the BIOS which leads to CPU throttling down.

With the Sabertooth make sure you go with the Ver 2.0 and not the 3.0. The 3.0 had a bunch of issues out of the box whereas the Ver 2.0 has all of the "bugs" worked out of it.

I own both boards that you are looking at and would choose the Sabertooth over the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 everyday and twice on Sundays. It is one of three or four boards that I would select for the FX chip.

I agree with Zebodog, while the Gigabyte board is a good board, the different revisions have had some issues when trying to run the Fx 8xxx cpu's. The Sabertooth is tried and true, we have a few members running their 8 series Fx's on it and are pleased with it's performance and ability to run these chips without issue.

Another option, in the same price range as the Fx that we have seen people run the 8xxx on is the Asrock 990fx Extreme 9

The Sabertooth is tried and true, we have a few members running their 8 series Fx's on it and are pleased with it's performance and ability to run these chips without issue.

Yes and actually there are enough Sabertooth 990FX Rev2.0 NON-GEN3 that we just about know what 'should' happen within a given set of parts and pieces. Of course any troubleshooting that might be required will depend on how readily the one in need picks up on what we need to help in the troubleshooting process. Willy, nilly. flailing about takes a lot longer to get to the better situation.

I think it has been said a number of times but only taken to heart a few times from the get-go is that if you go water cooling to try for the big numbers, you will have to provide or add back some air circulating over the VRMs and around the cpu socket or you will flounder around with some high temps. Many of the Sabertooth users have posted their fixes for adding air flow back to the VRM area and also many put fans on the rear of their boards pulling air from the rear of the socket thru the cut-out where the cpu goes. Anyway it has been said again about the Air-cooling to W/Cooling air replacement
RGone...

Awesome advice guys, I really appreciate it. I will go with the Sabertooth and add a better air cooler to it. I don't want to have headaches on my first build..

Awesome advice guys, I really appreciate it. I will go with the Sabertooth and add a better air cooler to it. I don't want to have headaches on my first build..

May I make suggestion here after going back and REreading your first post. It does not look like you are really planning to do anything that the heat of 8 cores is required. Why not instead go for an FX-6300 which is fast as shipped and you should be able to overclock it more easily into the 4.6Ghz range with stability in a good case with good air-flow thru it and use a relatively inexpensive CoolerMaster 212 EVO cooler with an added fan in push-pull mode thru the cpu cooler.

Just a thought to try and be cost effective since in gaming the faster the cpu is run, the better your AMD gaming experience. And the 6 core cpus are about 20-25% cooler than the 8 cores when really pushed.
RGone...ster.

I am trying to future proof it as I don't want to have to upgrade it for about 3-5 years, if a 6300 will do the job than I am all for it. Do you still recommend the Sabertooth board if I go the 6300 route? Also my local Tigerdirect is only carrying the crosshair V, and I refuse to buy from newegg as I they peed in my cereal, lol.. Is that a good board if I need to go the 8k series platform?

JRoX85, I really don't expect that a 6 core FX-6300 would be any less future proof overall than an 8 Core FX processor. Since you do game and cpu speed is a benefit there, I just don't see you having to deal with the heat of the 8 core processor. Now that is as I see it. You are not benching so a few more points in a bench have little to do with how your rig will perform in day to day work, but still am trying to get you into a pretty darn decent overclock without having to go full on water which is almost a must to make sure an 8 core is stable at 4.6Ghz or a little more. I mean stable without any cause for worry.

Less heat you will just have more fun in the long run unless you want to go full on water and this is your first system intergration and you need to have as many points in your favor as possible.

Yes, go for the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 non-GEN3 board. There is just about no way you will not have happier camping with a good board rather than one that 'might' do okay. Now there is your future proofing spot if I know of one.

Now that said of course the CHV is a good board. I have one as do a number of the others that pro-offer help in these forums. It is usually a good deal more expensive than the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. But if NewEgg is off your plate for purchases and you are in a must or will buy local, you will not be ashamed of the Asus CHV mobo.

I am at a crossroads of sorts myself. I have an Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional mobo that is just about the equal of my CHV and certainly of the Sabertooth 990FX in my eyes and by user experience clocking the Pee out of the FatLady Asrock board. I am likely to go the 6 core route this purchase since it will likely have that FX 6 core under an air cooler I have already and my FX 8 core will then revert to the original W/Cooling setup it was under before. Just not sure even my ownself if I want to deal with 8 core heat in a rig that 6 cores and air cooling should work well for me. Now you have heard some of the rest of my thinking on a more personal level.

However I am not going to say you should not go 8 cores but rather it might be easier in the long run to deal with the 6 cores for air cooling. Now you get it in your mind before buying that a full on water loop is in your future...yeah get the FX-8350 since they seem to clock just a hair better voltage wise than the FX-8320 version. FX-8320 is n0t a dud by no means, but I am speaking to the law of averages here lately with 8 core FX processors. YMMV. Luck man.
RGone...ster.

RGone, I really appreciate all the help I will en up getting a fx6300 and more than likely pair it to a CHV board due to the money I save. That way I won't be getting in over my head on my first build..

RGone, I really appreciate all the help I will en up getting a fx6300 and more than likely pair it to a CHV board due to the money I save. That way I won't be getting in over my head on my first build..

JRoX85, the CHV is a great board, the reality is, it is total overkill for most users. It's really intended for overclocking using sub ambient cooling ie. Dry Ice, LN2 etc... For normal usage the Sabertooth seems to be equal to the CHV, you could always pick one up on Amazon if you're against using Newegg. Just looking to save you some cash.

I agree with RGone as far as the 6300 goes, for gaming you will not notice the difference. I don't think there is a game out there that will use more then 4 cores at this time. On Air you'll be able to push the 6300 further then the 83XX due to the heatload the 8 series puts out. If you choose to overclock that is.

May I ask what the rest of the components you're planning to add to the system?

yea!!!!! sabertooth!!!!!
yea!!!!!! 6300!!!!!!

I have both boards, get the sabertooh and save the cash, for amd gamming its the kitties meow.
the chv is the battle axe.

I might be running a little be overkill but I really like my 6300 on my UD-7 board runs very nice @4.5.. but then again there are not to many folks using the UD7 but it's a very nice board.

Or buy the FX83xx chip and disable 2 cores for 6 and overclock the **** out of it
If needed later all 8 cores np just turn them on
And yes the Sabertooth board is one sweet overclocking board

Well ima end up getting an 6300k and a CH-V board.. Any recommendations on a water cooler?

Last edited:
Water coolers are having lots of problems of late, with bad pumps, air in the system etc.

So depending on the size of your PC Case, try to get a top of the line Air Cooler with 2 or 3 fans!! Something like this maybe! :shrug: ;)

Nets new photo's 086.JPG

Nets new photo's 087.JPG

Nets new photo's 088.JPG

Nets new photo's 089.JPG

Nets new photo's 090.JPG

Regards,

AJ.

Nets new photo's 091.JPG

I agree with AJay, about going big Air, if you really want water go full custom not AIO water kits. Some the AIO water kits are pretty good and work well. Though, unless you get a really good deal on one, less then $100 i wouldn't buy one. If you're going to spend $100+ on one you may as well spend a few more and go full custom and get better temps.

big air? cheap, good ones work fine at around 4.5-4.7 witch is where you will game with an 8 core and they don't leak water, what's not to like?

Personally, it really doesn't pertain here too much I imagine.

But id about like many things over the years like why I like WD, over time things fail and I had a Gigabyte board die once through the caps leaking years ago and bought ASUS ever since and have never had a problem like that.

Quality seems to cause a bit of loyalty to a product IMHO.

I am trying to future proof it as I don't want to have to upgrade it for about 3-5 years, if a 6300 will do the job than I am all for it. Do you still recommend the Sabertooth board if I go the 6300 route? Also my local Tigerdirect is only carrying the crosshair V, and I refuse to buy from newegg as I they peed in my cereal, lol.. Is that a good board if I need to go the 8k series platform?
Yeah I was trying to future proof a bit when I put this thing together years ago, I think I could still upgrade the thing and use it a few more years on the CPU and RAM :shock:

Back