• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build new rig (first build) Need V-card now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iSamoStefan

Registered
I have everything working properly but unfortunately I have no graphics card!
My thoughts were to wait for r9 290 non-reference to buy one of those.
-------So the questions I have are:--------
1. Is the 290 series best price/performance ratio on market guaranteed?
2. Will I be just as happy with r9 290 as I would be with r9 290x? Playing on 1080p monitor.
3. Should I get a cheaper card for 1080p gaming?
4. The r9 290(x) will future proof my gaming capabilities?

p.s. I play BF4 most of the time, but will be playing Dirt 4, Assassins Creed, Elder Scrolls online, you get the gist.

Thanks for the help!

An R9 290 will probably be better value than a 290X, and it certainly is one of the best value cards, if not the best value card out there in the high end GPU market. At 1080p, a 290 will probably be the best bet for now, but if you can afford a 290X then go for it. And of course a 290X will future proof your system more than a 290, but whether or not you want to spend the extra money is up to you.

I'm in between these two cards as well. I understand that AMD is offering BF4 with these cards - but on newegg and amazon, they aren't listed in the product description. I think I'm wanting the R9 290, as long as it comes with BF4...

Thing is: I already own BF4 premium. Plus, will the non-reference r9 290's still be able to be unlocked to 290x? Because I heard its like a manufacturing error that isn't supposed to be like that. So, will they correct that by the time the non-reference's are released?

Thing is: I already own BF4 premium. Plus, will the non-reference r9 290's still be able to be unlocked to 290x? Because I heard its like a manufacturing error that isn't supposed to be like that. So, will they correct that by the time the non-reference's are released?

Unlocking the shaders is a hit and miss thing. Don't buy any card with the expectation of being able to unlock it, just be happy if it does unlock. Don't forget that flashing the BIOS on a video card can brick the card. If the card has 2 BIOSs (look for a BIOS switch), then it's usually safe to flash but it's not without its risks.

Where are those darn non-reference cards?!

Wait a few more weeks.

Back