• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Haswell Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
So I ended up picking up a few parts last night
Big ones are the i7-4770k and GA-Z87X-UD4H.

Did my plumbing yesterday and started playing with it today.

@ default fail-safe I am hitting 63/60/62/56 with AIDA64 FPU test.
And any temp I list is the highest that RealTemp reports. So this is very worst case here.

I did the 1.2V x46 test and Windows is having problems loading. So I try 1.25V but I am not AIDA FPU test stable.

Jumping right to 1.3V, (1.298V @ load says CPU-Z) and tweaking a few other voltages here and their. I get it AIDA64 Stable 98/96/95/87 degrees C. Ouch and i thought my old 1366 would get hot.

Running more realistic things like Catzilla or Unigine Heaven I have some much more calming numbers. 55/55/55/49 degrees C.

So I will say I have been out of the loop for awhile as real life tends to get in the way. So I think i may be missing some common Haswell knowledge.
So i am pretty much looking for, what temps should i really be concerned with. Should i be pushing for higher clocks or more concerned with getting the voltage down?

This is going to be a 24/7 Stable do everything PC.

So any comments or tips would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20131123_164918.jpg
    IMG_20131123_164918.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 201
Well unlike your 1366 chip on Haswell and Ivy bridge Intel cheaped out and used thermal paste between the IHS and the chip. The end result is a CPU that runs much hotter especially once you start overclocking. Somethings the memory control holds these chips back at high clock speeds you may try setting your ram at 1600mhz and see if you can't get a stable overclock above 4.6.

Yeah i know about that epoxy causing the IHS to be too high up.
Waiting on some different hardware to come and i am going to mount the block directly on the die i think.

Haven't tried above 4.6 yet.
Original 4.6 Validation was done at my ram running @1333 9-9-9-25. Then at 2400 10-13-13-33.

But before I go higher, the AIDA temps are kind of the issue, no?
I think i am getting close to the point where the CPU is going to throttle itself down.
Most of the time the temps where high low 90's, but i like it list/ record worst case.

Temps are a bit high and for a 24/7 overclock I don't think I would push it anymore maybe even back it off to 4.5 and lower your vcore some if possible.

Temps are a bit high and for a 24/7 overclock I don't think I would push it anymore maybe even back it off to 4.5 and lower your vcore some if possible.

you talking real world load temps i was getting from Unigine Heaven in the low 50's? or AIDA 64 in the low 90s?

see that is why i am looking for advice on what i should be doing.....

Synthetic test temps high, normal high load usage, no issue.
Borderlands 2, mid 50's.

Real world is telling me more MHz. AIDA says less.

see that is why i am looking for advice on what i should be doing.....

Synthetic test temps high, normal high load usage, no issue.
Borderlands 2, mid 50's.

Real world is telling me more MHz. AIDA says less.

It all comes down to how your going to use your computer if your just playing games your fine and yes you could probably squeeze a few more mhz out of the chip and be safe. However if you plan to stress your chip much or run any heavy applications you may want to back your voltage and clocks off some.

If it were me I would back the clocks off some just so the load temps are kept under 90c and maybe think about delidding the processor if you think it is worth voiding the warranty and possibly killing your chip. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about this is what my computer been doing off and on for the past week my rooms ambient temperature varies from 23c-30c.

Delidded 3770k @ 4.7 water cooled mineing protoshares:
Stress Test.JPG
Keep in mind this is a oddball chip that just doesn't get very hot IBT on very high core 2 will hit 59c after a couple hours.

Well, for gaming, you won't see any difference from 4.2GHz+

I de-lided my 3770k because I was hitting max [email protected]/1.18v and knew the chip could possibly hit 4.8/4.9GHz with less than 1.4v.

With [email protected]/1.3v, I don't believe de-lidding is a smart idea as you won't be able to hit more than 4.7GHz max within a safe voltage range (below 1.4v).

Not worth loosing the warranty for a couple of hundreds at the very max.

Running Prime 95, IBT, OCCT, etc, will push your temps very high, but those are not what one would see from day to day use. 4.5 Ghz on Haswell is actually a great OC.

From game go game, temps can vary a lot an Catzilla and unigine benchmarks are not drawing a lot of power from the cpu.

BF4 runs hot, so does Crysis3 or Grid2, while BL2 not so much.

I'd say that when running a cpu intensive game, temps stay around 10ºC lower than what you would see in P95.

So another question. Why as Intel Burn Test fallen out of favor?
With that tester I Spike in the low 80's but am in the mid 50's for the majority of the testing.

Also I do fully plan to de-lid, just waiting on the mounting hardware for my block. Will be running the water block directly on the core.

Mounting the block directly on the die might no be the best idea: the heat exchange surface is much smaller than the IHS.

I think you'd better replace the horrible tim with some Liquid Ultra and keep the IHS.

Mounting the block directly on the die might no be the best idea: the heat exchange surface is much smaller than the IHS.

I think you'd better replace the horrible tim with some Liquid Ultra and keep the IHS.

I am going to have to disagree with you on that one.
And soon enough Ill have some temps to back it up....

Remember FC-PGA chips? We put block and sinks on them all the time.
Only problem was careless people started cracking the core. So the IHS was born to protect the core from the careless.

anyhow... just working on dialing in 4.6Ghz right now. Vcore down to 1.288.
.01V lower dropped a good 4-5C off each core.

^ Theorically, I'd agree with you, as you "add" a layer between block and die with the IHS.

but, IIRC, the few test I read with bare-die gave worse results than with the IHS and liquid ultra.

I mlight be wrong though... I believe a few forum members already tried it.

^ Theorically, I'd agree with you, as you "add" a layer between block and die with the IHS.

but, IIRC, the few test I read with bare-die gave worse results than with the IHS and liquid ultra.

I mlight be wrong though... I believe a few forum members already tried it.

Where they using a heatsink or waterblock?

As a heatsink would be worse off as the heatpipes would not all be in contact with the heat source. I guess what i am trying to say is, a heat spreader or not all depends on what your cooling with as for what will be best.

EKWB has a waterblock for a delided Ivybridge cpu, not sure about Haswell, though.

EKWB has a waterblock for a delided Ivybridge cpu, not sure about Haswell, though.

I know, if you look at the first post you can even see it in action :)
just waiting on the hardware mounts.

I order through dazmode (as i am in Canada) and hopefully they got on his current order. Daz said i might have just missed it also.

If i dont go through him its 20 Euros to shop 5 bucks of bolts to Canada.
fir $30 in shipping i can wait an extra week if i have too.

Back