• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony Bravia white stripe issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zagi

I hope this is the right sub forum for this post, not sure where else to put it though. I just picked up a new TV from my boss at work. He was just going to throw it in the dumpster because of a "white line" down the right side of the screen. However, he said if I wanted to try fixing it, I could have it. Awesome.

So here's the deal, I've found what the problem is, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I'm not even sure if it CAN be fixed... It's a ribbon cable with several corroded traces. It must have gotten wet at some point in time.

Any ideas on how to go about repairing such a problem? I'm afraid I'm a little out of my league here. Is it even do-able? I'm considering trying to clean the area , then replace the bad traces with conductive epoxy. I'm still using a 27" 4:3 CRT in the living room so this would be a welcome upgrade.

IMG_1930_zps79d94cfb.jpg

Here's the culprit...
IMG_1932_zps854dd44b.jpg
IMG_1944_zps20603100.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know much about fixing TV's as much as I know about fixing PC's but I will try to be as much help as possible.

1) Please type full TV model number and if it is a NA version.
2) Try to isolate the bad pcb from the rest of the tv. See if you can get a part number on it.
3) Call sony service and try to contact a service guy with actual knowledge on the parts and try to get the part number. There are sites that sell replacement pcb's from scrapped electronics everywhere. From ebay to china. Also you may find the same model of tv completely not working for a cheap price.

I doubt cleaning up the pcb will work but go ahead anyways. You have nothing to lose:D

Model is kdl-46hx800. Problem is, the ribbon cable is part of the panel. To replace the cable, you would have to replace the entire panel itself.

I don't know much about fixing TV's as much as I know about fixing PC's but I will try to be as much help as possible.

1) Please type full TV model number and if it is a NA version.
2) Try to isolate the bad pcb from the rest of the tv. See if you can get a part number on it.
3) Call sony service and try to contact a service guy with actual knowledge on the parts and try to get the part number. There are sites that sell replacement pcb's from scrapped electronics everywhere. From ebay to china. Also you may find the same model of tv completely not working for a cheap price.

I doubt cleaning up the pcb will work but go ahead anyways. You have nothing to lose:D

Well if the pcb is corroded there is no going back from broken lines. Perhaps after removing the corrosion you could fill the traces with a syringe and some conductive material, but that's highly theoretical..

I still think the best practice would be replacing the pcb/ribbon cable at a sony service for the cheapest.

Anyone here used any kind of conductive epoxy? I know some folks used to do cpu pin modding with window defroster repair stuff. I have no experience with it, so I'm not sure if there's a brand that's supposed to be really good or if there are some I should avoid.

v200_cpu3.jpg

Bumping this old thread, I think I've actually made some progress on this thing. After talking about it with several people, I decided to try and bridge the corroded areas with wire soldered to the ribbon cable and corresponding via on the board.

I've never tried any kind of smd soldering so this is all a bit tricky for me. Once I got the TV under the microscope I was able to count 38 bad connections. Some of which I think I've been able to fix just with a solder bridge. The rest I'm going to have to use wire on.

Here's the station I've setup to try and get this done. Hardly professional but it seems to do the trick.
M0A83Wv.jpg

And here's a shot of the progress so far. That's 40 gauge wire. Very hard for me to control the amount of solder I've got on the iron. Generally if I can see any at all, its too much. I resoldered the top left wire in the picture, I just wasn't comfortable with it being so close to the next via to the left. I've got 8 done, and quite a few to go. Wish me luck!
meguqxF.png

Back