• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help Overclocking my I7-4930k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mustang58lx

Hi everyone I'm new to overclocking this processor and am looking for someone to walk me through the steps and get the best outcome.

is it better to figure out bclock -> Multi. -> Ram settings -> Video card

I'm open to questions and suggestions.

so lets hear your advise or steps to get this done.

My Comp. Specs
ASUS X79-Deluxe
Intel I7-4930k IVY-E LGA 2011
G.Skill DDR3-2666 11-13-13-35 1.65v
EVGA GeFprce GTX 770 classified
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme AIO water Cooling
Seasonic 80+ Plat. PS
Fractal Design DEFINE R4

Last edited:
Generally better to go through the multiplier first, rather than the base clock. as for how to over clock, google tutorials, and youtube could be of great help. also, over clock conservatively.. i.e. don't go from stock to 4.5ghz. Take baby steps then keep moving forward. I see you have water cooling, so you should have some good headroom there.
And don't forget to stress test. using programs like prime95 to max out the cpu completely as well as other things

Do you have all the monitor and testing programs that you would need to check your OC?? :shrug: ;)

AJ.

Ravik the information I seem to find varies on which way to go.

And from years ago I always maxed the FSB then the Multiplier, I know that base clock
is different than FSB but similar.

AJ I think so.

I have Prime95, CPUID HWMonitor, and Cinebench. Should I get some other programs too?

Thanks

well theres more than way to skin a cat. Overclocking can be done differently. Can it be just as effective? Sure, depends on the hardware and the person performing the over clock ;)
Soon I'll be switching over to liquid cooling. A little nervous about it. But eh.

It looks like you need to be pointed in the right direction, so this is what i would use!!

1, P95 for testing, Small FFTs for testing your CPU, or Blend for testing CPU + RAM!!

2, RealTemp GT, This can monitors Temps on your 6 cores, plus shows load readings on your CPU, and Temps on your GPU!!!

3, CPU-Z, This well show all the things you need to know about your CPU, for example core voltage and speed, also Bclk as well!!

These are the main 3 i use day in day out also when Benching on the HWbot, So download them and set them up!!

Good Luck! Oh as a tip just use the Multi and the Vcore first before you play about with the Bclk. And get it 100% stable OK!! ;) :thup:

AJ.

For CPU clock you raise CPU ratio , when it crashes in Prime95/Intel XTU / Intel Burn Test or other soft then you raise voltage and check again. Repeat till you decide it's enough or it will start overheating. Usually max stable on reasonable voltages and temps is ~4.5GHz. Reasonable means below 1.4V and 80*C for 24/7.

When you want to add bclk then you lower CPU ratio and change bclk to 125 bclk/x1.25 strap or 166 bclk/x1.66 strap ( higher won't work even if you have higher setting ).
In this case you have to adjust CPU and memory ratios.
Depends from CPU and motherboard higher bclk may need higher voltages like VCCSA/VCCIO ( depends if you set higher memory or not ).

For memory clocks up to 2133 you don't have to change any voltages. For 2400+ you may need to raise VCCSA/VCCIO ( how high depends from memory controller and board itself but let's say 1.35V will be max for 24/7 ).

In daily work bclk won't change much. It may only lower stability if you set it too high.

World record right now it 6864.58 mhz on Liquid Nitrogen. No idea what I can get with my water cooling, just bought parts for an all new system, waiting to return from Afghan to build it. got this CPU, EVGA X79 Dark Mobo, and GeForce GTX 780 Dual "FTW" along with $750 worth of Koolance water cooling parts, really looking forward to the build, a little disappointed at the difficulty in OCing this CPU.

Ok so here is what I came up with.

Base Clock
My max bclk is 145 with a CPU Strap of 125, it was like hitting a wall at 146 or higher. I tried increasing the VTTCPU Voltage but it didn't seem to help.

Multiplier
With my CPU Multiplier at 31 with a 145 bclk @ vcore 1.4V, (CPU-Z 1.39V) It would BSOD with Prime95, so maybe I could have bumped the vcore up slightly more and then pass? But my temps may have been to high?

Memory
My RAM is running at 2304 MHz with Timings at 11-12-12-31-2T
I tested the Memory using Memtest86+ v5.01 with 2 passes which took about 14 hours.

I feel I have 2 Choices for my OC
144x30=4320 MHz @1.36V (CPU-Z 1.344) I tested for 8 hours using Prime95 on Custom using up 97% of my available RAM. I'm currently running my Computer at this.

142x31=4402 MHz @1.4V I ran Prime95 on Small FFTs for 1 loop and it passed that. I did no further testing beyond that like can I lower the Voltage and still pass.

I have not OC my video card yet at this point.

Questions
Where should I go from here?
Try different voltages?
Any settings I should change?
Can I improve my memory Frequency or timings?
or any other things I may have missed.

Lets hear some feed back and what do you think I should try or change.

If it was me i would just use the Multi and leave the Bclk and the Strap alone, why because your just making a headache for yourself!! :attn:

Look the way i did this was to just up the Multi on its own to 42 and then work with the CPU Vcore. And try to get it P95 Stable, then save that in the CPU Profile Section of the Bios. ;) :thup:

After that i would try to get 44 Stable with P95 and save that in the Profiles and so on until YOU ARE EITHER COOLING LIMITED OR VCORE LIMITED. :salute:

As for the Bclk and the Strap you play around with those once you have a base line to work from hence putting your OC's into the Profiles. It saves on so many crashes and will help your OS from being Corrupted. I will post you want i have done so far here. :attn:

1, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740344

OK just take a look at this and it should give you some pointers what to do!!! GL. :) ;)

Respectfully,

AJ.

Back