• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching to Intel from AMD..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oysti82

So, I've been thinking of changing sides.

I've already ordered a EVGA 780Ti to swap out my two 7970's with, as I'm not happy with the CF-sollution.

So it made me thinking of swapping out my mobo and 8350 aswell.

Will I notice much of a gain while gaming, going for a 4670k(?) instead of my 8350.
My rig is beeing used only for gaming, and obviously surfing the web :p

As now I am able to run my 8350 with 4,8ghz @1,5V 24/7. But it produces a ****load of heat that way, so most of the time I'm doing 4,6ghz@1,4V.

So what I've come up with is;
Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula
CPU : 4670k

Does this sound reasonable ? Or is it a total waste ?

You should really get a 4770K if you want a significant upgrade. The 8 threads will come in handy for future proofing when games start to use more than 4 threads.

All you need to run these chips motherboard wise is a cheap and unassuming ASUS Z87-A. $135.

I really don`t see it as an upgrade ONLY if 2-3fps(on avg) matter for you.
If you do decide to go intel with new mb+cpu+vga why not do a new build? Also no need for ASUS Maximus VI Formula unless you plan on using DICE or LN2.

Tibi:chair:

The 8 threads will come in handy for future proofing when games start to use more than 4 threads.

Been hearing this for so many years it makes my head hurt. I think he will have upgraded at least twice before this happens by the majority of developers. At least that is how it seems.

The only time a 4670k is going to be a significant gaming upgrade over an 8350 is for games with coding that heavily favors single threaded performance, like world of warcraft or planetside 2.

When it comes to futureproofing, I'm not really into that. I tend to swap out my gear quite frequent.
So Formula is not needed then, I do like the look though. However, the Sabertooth looks quite sweet aswell.
Wether something costs 135$ or 200$ is not really a dealbreaker for me.

Is there any difference heatwise between 4670k and 4770k ? Is the 4670k a "poor" chip compared to 4770k? Or are they both as willing to OC ?

They are both a massive lottery as far as overclocking. Some will only do 4.2, others will do 4.8, a few gems will do 5.0 on ambient cooling but its very uncommon. The 4770k has a bit more l3 cache and hyperthreading. It makes almost no difference in most games on the market today.

if you live anywhere near a microcenter( and i cant believe im saying this because i dont like them) go there on black friday and they have some good deals on the 4770k and mobo combos.

Ok, so 4670k is still the most reasonable for me then if they are not lower binned chips then.

As of now I do have both a fx6300 and a fx8350. And the fx8350 is by far more willing to OC, even though I have no use whatsoever for the extra cores.
So that's why I'm thinking about 4670k vs 4770k, but I guess it's not compareable to AMD's chips, or what ?

When it comes to Mircocenter, I live in Norway. So unfornately there's no such things around here.

Sooo.... Sabertooth and a 4670k then...? Feel free to spit in whatever thoughs and experiences you have. :)

Sooo.... Sabertooth and a 4670k then...? Feel free to spit in whatever thoughs and experiences you have. :)

As someone who bought a top-tier motherboard (Maximus IV Extreme) for something near $400 when it first came out, let me assure you that there is no need for doing so. The giddy feeling of having purchased an expensive slab of electrical traces and integrated circuits fades quickly. You can spend $130, and get the same connectivity, overclocking, audio quality, and bios richness as the Sabretooth.

If I was getting a Haswell tomorrow this is what I would get for a board. Wanted one for some time now. Would love to play with this piece of hardware. You of course may not have the same desire and that's ok. Im just tossing it in there :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157380

That board is only worth the money if you have some liquid nitrogen around the house. Otherwise you're paying $100+ more than you need to. On air or AIO water, the Z-87A or ASRock Extreme 4 offer everything anybody could ever need. Except wi-fi and bluetooth.

That board is only worth the money if you have some liquid nitrogen around the house. Otherwise you're paying $100+ more than you need to. On air or AIO water, the Z-87A or ASRock Extreme 4 offer everything anybody could ever need. Except wi-fi and bluetooth.

I don't have hardly any hardware that I really need. Everything I have is based on pure want and making myself happy in this hobby :D If everyone bought based on only what they need this forum would be baron LOL

I'm kinda on the same level as "rogbur22" above me on this. If I only were after buying what I needed, I wouldn't be switching at all.

I've kinda guided myself towards the Sabertooth or Maximus VI Formula, as I like the looks of it. And even though I might not need it, I know it's good **** :)

So if we leave out the factor of price, is there any reason not to go for Sabertooth / VI Formula ?
Same with 4670k vs 4770k. If we leave out price, 4670k or 4770k for gaming ? (My concern here is if the 4770k produces more heat than 4670k(?), if there is any difference in how well they might overclock compared to each other..?)

Last edited:
(My concern here is if the 4770k produces more heat than 4670k(?) = Yes with hyperthreading 'on' the cpu runs hotter. But when un-needed I used to disable hyperthreading for a significant lowering of temps. I would suspect in daily use though the difference in temperatures would not be objectionable with HT on or off.

if there is any difference in how well they might overclock compared to each other..?) = I think in a post further back it was said of the cpu that it was all a dice-roll about max cpu speed anyway. Heck it has always been that way. So you get a slow 4670 it will seem to suck and if you get a slow 4770 it too will seem to suck. Roll that dice good because I have not been able to see where either one outclocks the other only which dice roll gives the best silicon.

I would not have bothered to post at all except the forum seems a little slow today with everyone out for Black Friday runs. Went to Walmarts early BF yesterday and that was a real eye-opener. Wow.
RGone...

Thanks for a precise answer RGone, just what I was looking for.

I'm aware of the dice-roll, was just wondering if one was a bit "ahead" of the other. But this clearifies that.

Noticed we're starting to get that Black Friday thing in norway too. But mostly on webshops.
We tend to copy stuff like that after a while from US. Valentine, halloween etc. All those things have pretty much gotten popular the last few years...

Ok, so 4670k is still the most reasonable for me then if they are not lower binned chips then.

As of now I do have both a fx6300 and a fx8350. And the fx8350 is by far more willing to OC, even though I have no use whatsoever for the extra cores.
So that's why I'm thinking about 4670k vs 4770k, but I guess it's not compareable to AMD's chips, or what ?

When it comes to Mircocenter, I live in Norway. So unfornately there's no such things around here.

:shrug: sorry lol

question. whats the difference between formula and hero. i see the formula with armor is that the only diffference? sorry for intruding my questions on your thread. just seemed appropriate.

Back