• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible for me to get back the backup drive data without formatting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gloria1873

Hi, there! I think I have got a really bad hard drive problem. Please, help me!
I have a 1TB drive that has stored 100GB of videos, images, documents, programs and other files for backing up. However, a couple of days ago, I noticed that it unexpectedly became RAW in Disk Management. And then, every time I tried to open it in My Computer, it will give a error message and saying “The Disk is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?” How ridiculous it is! The formatting process will erase all my held data, right?
I cannot afford to lose it. So, do you know anyway to help me out? Is it possible for me to get back the inner data without formatting?

ftk imager (forensic recovery tool) may also be able to help, you can google it and download the lite version which is free.

RAW hard drive problem is really common in computing. Don’t worry! As long as you take the right steps, you do have chances to get everything back:

1. Do NOT click "Yes" to format the drive in case that the formatting process makes things worse.

2. Do NOT attempt to write anything new on this hard drive in case of any data loss.

3. Download data recovery software to help you. There are many data recovery tools out there. But, no all of them could be efficient and useful enough. You should pay much attention to opt for a proper one.

So, if you are interested, you can firstly try some data recovery freeware available online that always work much more efficiently than some paid ones, such as Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

4. Do not save or back up all the restored data on the same hard drive in case of any data loss.

5. After the data recovery process, simply format this drive to see whether its RAW problem can be fixed.

In the future, you should learn a lesson to be more careful about your data and always back it up well.

Thank your for your guys’ nice help!
I really know nothing of the RAW problems and don’t know what should be done to save my data. But, after reading your answer, I absolutely know, especially the detailed answer of Jeremy1897. Now, I have restored all my needed data with the help of your mentioned data recovery freeware and the RAW problem is also fixed by the reformatting process.
Thanks very, very much!
I absolutely come to the right place!

Back