• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, 4670k vs 4770k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyllan

Upgrading to a new PC, mostly wondering about intel chips. I am going to be buying these items;

Cooler Master HAF
WD Black HDD
MSI Board
and either a 4670k or a 4770k.. which is where im stuck, for a 70 dollar price difference is it worth the upgrade?

Items I already have for this build are;

HyperX Beast 1866 2x4g
Corsair CX600M PSU
MSI GTX N580 Lightning 2

If you guys have other ideas on components or anything im more than willing to hear you out!

Thanks in advance :)

too bad you didn't do this last week, microcenter or where ever was selling the 4770k chips for dirt cheap...

It depends what you're doing I guess...for me when I got mine in August, it didn't make sense to spend 25% more on the 4770k

I haven't even overclocked mine yet...which makes me wonder...should I have gotten the non K version...but I think I will oc it over Christmas.

The difference between the two CPUs is Hyperthreading. Do you run programs that can make use of the 8 threads? If you are primarily gaming, 4 cores/threads are usually plenty of power.

The 4770k is $249 now at Microcenter, the sale last week was for $199. However, those prices are in-store only so it really wouldn't help you guys in Canada.

Well I am Canadian so my question would have to be would Microcenter accept a canadian visa and would they ship internationally?

EDIT - Sorry, just reread what you said haha, so yeah it wont help me out a whole lot :p

Im just using newegg for ease, im willing to put in just about 1k to build off of what items I already have as I mentioned above. I just want to get something that will last me years instead of cheaping out and feeling left out of the loop like with my old builds.

The 4770K has 2MB of extra L3 cache over the 4670K. And it has hyperthreading. Don't count hyperthreading out though. New games developed for the recently released consoles will be using more than 4 cores when ported over to PC in all likelihood. The day is soon approaching when the 4 threaded processor, like the 2 threaded processor before it, will be the underdog when it comes to running the most current games. If you have the funds, get the 4770K. If you're on a budget, get the 4670K.

or just get the 4670k now and it will be good enough for a year or two anyway and then you'll build a new pc most likely.

or just get the 4670k now and it will be good enough for a year or two anyway and then you'll build a new pc most likely.

Hey! A fellow Torontonian! Go Rob Ford!
But yeah, we don't know how long the OP wants to keep this computer. Could be 2 years. Could be 5. In 5 years I'm pretty sure games are going to be using more than 4 cores. So it could be good future proofing to get the i7, it could not. We don't know

OP how long do you want to keep this computer??

Back