• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Explorer.exe crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigpottomus

MEANT to say Windows Explorer. Not Explorer.exe.

Not what it says in title, Window Explorer crashes and recovers. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't really happen as much but dislike it because sometimes it gets annoying, kicking me out of games etc.. Any help would be appreciated, been thinking of just rebooting since i don't have much on my SSD, other than Windows 7 itself and programs. Windows 7 SP1, Computer specs are in sig. Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Something caused my whole computer to crash during playing GTA IV, then tried booting back into Windows 7 but kept getting stuck at Windows Logo... Took 3 times to get into the OS...

Last edited:
If I got you right, reinstalling the OS wouldnt take too much effort for you? If you cant think of anything you changed before that behavior I'd try that. Seems like a corrupt OS. You could / should check if your SSD/HDD is malfunctioning, too.

What have you done as far as troubleshooting so far? If you haven't already, boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive and check the RAM for stability. What model of Ballistix do you have, and what's the current DRAM frequency, including timings and voltage?

MEANT to say Windows Explorer. Not Explorer.exe.

Not what it says in title, Window Explorer crashes and recovers. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't really happen as much but dislike it because sometimes it gets annoying, kicking me out of games etc.. Any help would be appreciated, been thinking of just rebooting since i don't have much on my SSD, other than Windows 7 itself and programs. Windows 7 SP1, Computer specs are in sig. Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Something caused my whole computer to crash during playing GTA IV, then tried booting back into Windows 7 but kept getting stuck at Windows Logo... Took 3 times to get into the OS...

Would consider looking at the overclock. In sig says stock voltage at 4ghz. perhaps cpu degradation has finally set in?

Hard to say, there's not much to go by here.

Check your error reports.

Would consider looking at the overclock. In sig says stock voltage at 4ghz. perhaps cpu degradation has finally set in?

Forgot to say, i had downclocked the speed back to 3.4ghz after posting this. Its also, i just got the whole build towards the end of september of this year, so the CPU is fairly new, Overclock was only for like 1 day or so since i just bought an h100i on black friday.

What model of Ballistix do you have, and what's the current DRAM frequency, including timings and voltage?

Im not really sure, they were my brothers and he bought them last year. I could give you the Dram, timings and voltages though. They are at 666mhz, 9-9-9-24, and stock voltages.

What have you done as far as troubleshooting so far? If you haven't already, boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive and check the RAM for stability.
And either post the info from the sticker on each module, or post pic's of CPU-Z open to the Memory and SPD tabs.

I haven't really done much other than uncheck non microsoft Shell Extensions through Autoruns.
Here are the pictures from CPU-Z:
Capture.JPG

Oh yeah, do i download the one where it says: Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*
Also, computer has been on for about 30 minutes and it haven't happened yet... Usually it would've already, but we'll see.

I have been having the very same prob. dosent happen often, i did the memory test, even reformatted, i have no idea what to do next to fix the prob.

Back