• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Pricing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reaver22

Registered
I was wondering what everyones thoughts on how the pricing of Video Cards are going to be around the first of the year to say the first 3 months of 2014 I need a new card but with the holidays and stuff I am just going to wait and see if prices go down. do you think that we will see good price drops or nothing at all.

Depends on the card you are looking at. I would assume you want either a GTX 780 or R9 290. What is your budget?

I understand there is cards at or around what i am looking for right now but because of the holidays (christmas) cant really buy atm. Wish i could but can't

I'm just saying the 290 won't be going UP in price. And I doubt the 290X will be coming DOWN to $500, either. So, probably the 290 would be the card in your price range when the time came, too.

I can't imagine the prices changing very much as I'm unaware of any other cards to be released.

I-O!

Loved that pic :D

Nvidia could definitely change the market if they come out with another card, but I don't know what bracket it would be in.

This is Maxwell, should be in all performance brackets (assuming no rebranding of course, LOL!)

Source = History / Intuition / The fact that in 2 years video cards have gone from my 560ti to the 780ti with 100 cards in between.

There will be an R9 295X or 290XX and an nVidia 790 by Spring. Mark my words. And if I'm wrong, I'll totally eat crow.

mmmmmm crow. :rofl: (not saying you will eat it note!)

Being serious, and not to split hairs so much as I want to clarify... I define 'new cards' as new architecture, like Maxwell and like the Hawaii chips from AMD (290/290X). Again there are rumors that Nvidia will be releasing Maxwell 1Q 14. If AMD does anything, it will be a minor refresh since they just released new cards and because that is what history tells me, LOL! :)

560ti to the 780ti with 100 cards in between
That is two generations of cards. Fermi and Kepler. ;)

That makes sense. But I do also think if there is a 295X, that would seemingly push the price of everything below it down at least slightly. Would the 290X magically become $250? Of course not. But perhaps the 280X would get in that range with the release of a new top-end card.

I only see AMD coming out with such creatures if the Maxwell release is solid. They will not magically release a 295X for giggles. So we will wait for Nvidia's release, and AMD's counter.

New card introductions aside, until early spring don't expect any price relief on any of the newer cards, those introduced over the past 6 months at least. I just was looking at the Egg and they are close to sold out on the 290's for example. The Christmas shopping season along with the fallout of folks spending up gift certificates after the holidays will keep pricing stable in a favorable way for AMD, NVidia, and the retailers for a short while. Barring unforeseen economic cataclysm of course.

Back