• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to set Asus M4A79T Deluxe RAM speed to 1600 MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GD88

Registered
Hello overclockers,

Im new here and completely inexperienced with overclocking and am hoping you guys can help me. I have an Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard and a GeIL GV34GB1600C8DC PC3 12800 1600MHz CL 8-8-8-28 2GB 2x DC memory kit. The RAM has a frequency of 1600 MHz and I always thought it ran at that speed. However, recently I noticed in the memory section of the performance tab of the task manager (Win 8) that my memory is running at 1333MHz. Apparently I need to OC my MB to run the memory at 1600 MHz. I just put the memory frequency to 1600 MHz in the BIOS (now you guys are probably laughing), which clearly was not the right way to do it since my PC wouldn't boot after that. I reset the BIOS using a jumper on the MB and now am back to the default settings. I still would like to run my memory at 1600MHz. Can you guys help me configuring this the right way?

Typically, motherboards will use a default RAM frequency of 1333 mhz for any AM3 or AM3+ CPU. Most likely you will need to take the Memory (or "DRAM") configuration setting in bios off of Automatic and put it on Manual. Then you will see the frequency choices. "Automatic" obscures choices in bios.

Yes that is what I already did. The RAM frequency was set on automatic and I put it on manual and then on 1600 MHz. But then my PC wouldn't start anymore.

Raise the voltage to the ram by 0.05 volts which is normally a harmless raise but might allow then to GO BACK and try again ram at DDR3-1600Mhz. Have had a few have issues lately with Geil ram and AMD so no real assurance either way.
RGone...

Another thing to consider is we have no idea whatCPU you are trying to use in that board. The Older PII's would typically work with 1600 ram but you may need to loosen the timings a bit or bump up the CPU_NB volts as well. But knowing what you have could make a difference as to the root cause.

Full specs:
Motherboard: Asus M4a79T Deluxe (AM3, 790FX)
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition (3,4Ghz) (quad-core)
Memory: GeIl 2x2Gb 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel kit (4Gb total)
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 DD Black Edition 3gb
Harddisk: Western Digital Velociraptor 150Gb (10.000RPM SATAII) + Western Digital Raptor 150Gb (10.000RPM SATA) + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM
DVD Drive: Aopen DVD+RWDVD-RW
Power: Zalman ZM850-HP (850watt)
Casefans: 4x 14cm (sharkoon), 2x 12cm (coolermaster) en 1x 10cm (zalman) silent casefans
CPU fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 PLus
Case: Coolermaster CM690

Hope this helps

Like RGone and I suggested you probably should raise the voltage on the ram and set the CPU_NB to 1.25, then see if you can boot at 1600.You haven't raised the FSB at all or using any OC software are you?

That CPU should boot with RAM at 1600 mhz though it may not be completely stable with the RAM at that frequency. The integrated memory controller on the Deneb core CPUs is rated at 1333 mhz and some of them just will not like the ram at 1600 mhz. You also may need to relax the timings.

So far I should raise the voltage to the ram by 0.05V, loosen/relax the timings (of the ram? how?) and set the CPU_NB to 1.25. What is the first step?

Unstable means BSOD's?

I haven't raised the FSB frequency and I am not using any OC software.

There should be a Dram voltage adjustment in your BOS as well as the CPU_NB. These will all be under the AI tweaker section. You will need to set voltages to manual then adjust. Consult section 3.5 Of the Motherboard owners manual for more info.

Maybe start off a square 1 and post a screen shot of Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory tabs. That way we can see what your timings should be at 1600mhz and tell you what to set.

I made some screenshots of the AI Tweaker tab of the BIOS. Most settings are on auto so I don't know how usefull this is. What exactly am I looking for?

1zegkxs.jpg
6r2886.jpg
3486n7p.jpg
2h3vrjk.jpg

I can't set it to DOCP. I only have the options Manual and Auto. I have it set on auto, but for the screenshots I put it temporarily on Manual so the options are visible.

Download and install CPU-z.

Click on the SPD tab and see what the ram manufacturer recommends for timings and voltages at 1600 mhz. The info will probably be in the lower half of the interface and the column farthest to the right.

Compare that to what you see in the Memory tab of CPU-z. The memory tab shows what the timings are actually set to.

Then go back into bios and make adjustments as necessary. To do so you must take the main timing header off Auto. You only need to be concerned with the five or six that show up in CPU-z. Leave the other timings in bios on Auto. The terminology may vary between CPU-z and bios, so beware of that. Sometimes it helps to look at the magnitude of the number in order to sort those uncertainties out. Some of them will be small numbers - single digits or low double digits. Others will be in the 20s and 30s.

If you are not sure you are making changes to the right parameters in bios then take a guess, make just a small change and then go back into the CPU-z Memory tab and check if what you have intended to change was what was actually affected. Small changes in the wrong parameters are not likely to keep it from booting. The exception to that might be the CAS Latecny and the Command Rate, the first and last ones that show in the Memory tab of CPU-z.

Thank you very much trents. I used the values from the CPUz SPD tab and input those in the BIOS. My ram is now running at 1600 MHz. Stable so far. Im curious if this will fix my Battlefield 4 framerate drops when entering large area's. For those interested:

2v34lqc.png.jpg
2dhwq6u.png.jpg
25upl4p.png.jpg

Back