• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weak Core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papadan

I believe that my FX-4170 might have a weak core. Up to 4.7Ghz approx. the chip runs good, all four cores stress fine with prime95. one tick more on the fsb & core#4 drops out with a (illegal sumout) no more than 15sec. after start. Vcore (1.44) I then started to increase Vcore one tick at a time & retest. Got it all the way up to 1.52v & core #4 still gets illegal sumouts almost from the start. The other three cores will continue on without a problem. Is this just the way it is & nothing will help #4 to stress good? I really don't think I should take the Vcore up higher when the other cores are functioning correctly.

Attachments

• core 4.PNG
    core 4.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 127
Something you could try is bumping the CPU_NB voltage. Even with the same NB frequency it seems to need more volts as the CPU speed get closer to the 5G mark.

Something you could try is bumping the CPU_NB voltage. Even with the same NB frequency it seems to need more volts as the CPU speed get closer to the 5G mark.
Hi, I have the CPU NB voltage set to auto & bios has it set at 1.35v. I read somewhere that 1.35v is about the top of the safe range. True or False?

First if it's on auto then it's hard to tell what voltage it's setting in windows unless you're actively monitoring it. Try setting the NB_CPU LLC to high and the CPU_NB voltage to 1.275v in bios. They recommend not going over 1.45v on regular cooling but I'm not a regular guy.

Hi, I finally got some little cooler air down here (lower 50s) & just that little bit of cooler air has let my #4 core be stable to 4.745 with 1.5 Vcore. Only ran Prime for 20 min. but all was good. It is suppose to be down into the 40s on Fri. morning I'll see what happens then. I just can't imagine what can be done with some really cold air. I don't get much of that.

good stuff papadan, yes cool air makes a big difference. Though Florida and cold air is usually not used in the same sentence.

Although it does beg the question of whether or not more efficient cooling system such as a custom water loop would make that core stable all the time.

Well Yes...

When I took my FX-8350 out from under my water block, the Vcore requirements went up by 0.03 at each step, from 4.3Ghz to the 4.8Ghz, that I tested with P95 Blend for 2 hours. With P95's core numbering system, my core 3 was the bigger failing offender. Previously under my g00d water, I did not really think there was 'A' failing core or weak core...the thing just quit wanting to run P95 somewhere up in the 5.4Ghz range.

Problem actually is though that he (papadan) could almost "try" another FX-4170 cheaper than he could go g00d water with the cheapness of the FX-4170. I mean that is the 'big' picture as it stands right now in my mind and knowing that Vcore does not settle his ailing core down to run. Cool might not help the particular cpu he has right now but another better FX-4170 like one C_D used to have might buzz up on over 5.0Ghz on a g00d water cooling system.

Case in point. C_D had his original FX-8350 and it seemed rather bow wow to him. So he sent it to me to see if it did any better on my g00d water. NO it did not. Still a bow wow. BUT his newer FX-8350 is a whole different matter for sure; since I can pretty much say it is not a bow wow from a few hundred miles away.

Although it does beg the question of whether or not more efficient cooling system such as a custom water loop would make that core stable all the time.

You got that right, I don't ever hear too many people wanting cold air down here.

I went to school there for a year or as my dad still likes to remind me 20 years later, a year vacation. You Floridians don't know what cold is. :D

I had thought about the water route but I really wonder if it would give me much of a benefit most of the year. My ambient temp. of the house is about 77 for 10 to 11 months of the year. So I don't see how even water would bring my temps. down that much.

When I took my FX-8350 out from under my water block, the Vcore requirements went up by 0.03 at each step, from 4.3Ghz to the 4.8Ghz, that I tested with P95 Blend for 2 hours. With P95's core numbering system, my core 3 was the bigger failing offender. Previously under my g00d water, I did not really think there was 'A' failing core or weak core...the thing just quit wanting to run P95 somewhere up in the 5.4Ghz range.

Problem actually is though that he (papadan) could almost "try" another FX-4170 cheaper than he could go g00d water with the cheapness of the FX-4170. I mean that is the 'big' picture as it stands right now in my mind and knowing that Vcore does not settle his ailing core down to run. Cool might not help the particular cpu he has right now but another better FX-4170 like one C_D used to have might buzz up on over 5.0Ghz on a g00d water cooling system.

Case in point. C_D had his original FX-8350 and it seemed rather bow wow to him. So he sent it to me to see if it did any better on my g00d water. NO it did not. Still a bow wow. BUT his newer FX-8350 is a whole different matter for sure; since I can pretty much say it is not a bow wow from a few hundred miles away.

Yes, but going with another chip would be a crap shoot. He might get one no better or even worse than the one he has now. But it does seem he has already demonstrated that colder temps stabilize that core. Maybe even a Corsair H100i would do the trick. Someone in the classies has one for sale.

I agree with you about my #4 core, I don't believe it will go too much farther even with lower temps. I am going to be getting a new 6350 probably this month & see what I can do with it.

I agree with you about my #4 core, I don't believe it will go too much farther even with lower temps. I am going to be getting a new 6350 probably this month & see what I can do with it.

While I do agree with 'trents' about buying another cpu rather than better cooling is just a crap-shoot...I have seen some stange things here lately with FX processors since the binning by AMD to produce the 9370 and 9590 FX processors. That is all that I am comfortable in saying. I do not like to interject more speculation than fact.

"Johan45" surely likes his FX-6350 and it overclocks like mad according to "johan". I have to remember he is on g00d water though. One thing about having 6 or 8 cores is that you can always disable down to only 4 cores, if that is all the cores you need at one time and RE-enable the cores for heavier duty work.

All things considered "papadan" you will likely enjoy a good FX-6350.
RGone...ster.

Back