• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED a good budget board for FX 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj1992

My friend is upgrading from a 1100T (stock) to a FX 6300, which he will be overclocking I think. Currently his mobo is ASUS M4A88T-M (which sucks) and he has a 8GB 1333Mhz RAM(the ones without heatspreaders). Please suggest a budget mobo with the 990 chipset. I am thinking of the ASRock 990FX Extreme4 or the ASUS M5A97. Which will be better? For the RAM, I have decided on G-Skill Ripjaws, 8GB DDR3-2133Mhz (CAS Latency 11-11-11). He already has a GTX 560 which will be used. This machine will be used as a HTPC as well as some casual gaming. For the cooler, I think the Hyper 212 EVO will be a good choice. Any suggestions are welcome. :)

From many looks at FX clocking...

The ASRock 990FX Extreme4 by ALL means. The plain jane M5A97 should never be mention in a sentence or paragraph when the word overclock FX is mentioned.

For the cooler, I think the Hyper 212 EVO will be a good choice. = In push pull with two fans in a darn good case with good air flow thru out the case, the CM 212 EVO should be okay with the Asrock 990FX Ext4, up to about 4.6Ghz. But you say he will be using mostly as an HTPC, so I would not think him to overclock much.

I use this ram with my FX-8350. It has NO freeken tall heatspreaders to be interfered with by air coolers or to make me choose certain ram slots. It overclocks well and is Cas 9 not 11 as that DDR3-2133 you have chosen is. I will not say you might not be able to run the DDR3-2133 slower and "then" tighten the timings, but AMD still is not very responsive to ram a ton faster than DDR3-1866 at tighter timings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231550
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB

Well for $40 or so Dollars extra i would go with these 2 Motherboards instead!!

Why because if you ever decided to up grade your CPU in the future these would easily support it, and because they are of a high quality.

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157358

2, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

They would easily work with the FX 6300 CPU you are looking at, Always go with a high quality Motherboard. As RGonester would say it saves a hell of lot of pain later on if and when you wish to Overclock any CPU!!!

Regards,

AJ.

Ajay, the OP "dj1992" has for his own setup the AsRock 990FX Extreme4, FX 8320 @ 4.2Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, and for that reason I did not suggest any higher priced mobo for building his buddies mostly HTPC setup.

"dj1992" likely already knows about the limits of the 990FX EXT4 setup since I see he is using his 8 core FX-8320 at a reasonable 4.2Ghz with a good air-cooler. His buddy intends to use a 6 core processor and use the setup mostly as an HTPC, so I just did not see the need with all that background, in suggesting some dollars more. There is after all a limit for some of us and it is okay if we understand the limitations.
RGone...

Hell stick the 1100T on an Asrock Extreme 4, Asus M5A99Fx/X or any of the two AJay mentioned with a set of 1866 Ram and you don't need the 6300!

Thanks for the suggestions AJ, but as RGone said he has a budget and the sabretooth is too expensive. The ASRock 990FX Extreme4 is a good board. I have my 8320 OC to 4.2Ghz at 1.4V and temps stay within 55C (its winter here now...don't know what'll happen in Summer). I think the 6300 should be able to do 4.2Ghz on that extreme4.

Hell stick the 1100T on an Asrock Extreme 4, Asus M5A99Fx/X or any of the two AJay mentioned with a set of 1866 Ram and you don't need the 6300!

+1.
I had actually told my friend to keep the 1100T and try to overclock that to around 4.2Ghz. The 1100T at 4.2Ghz will beat a 6300 at 4.2Ghz, but the power consumption of the 1100T will be higher since it's TDP is 125W as compared to the 95W TDP of the 6300, which again means that the 1100T will be generating a bit more heat.

but the power consumption of the 1100T will be higher since it's TDP is 125W as compared to the 95W TDP of the 6300, which again means that the 1100T will be generating a bit more heat.
Not necessarily true, TDP 95 w at stock clocks using turbo. I doubt highly the 6300 on all 6 cores running 4.2 will be putting out less heat then the 1100T at 4.2. Additionally the 6300 would probably need to be running around 4.5-6 to equal the performance of the 1100T @ 4.2. Depending on the ambient temps you should be able to get 4.5 with a CM 212 Evo and don't get me wrong the 6300 is a good chip. I'm just thinking of cost savings and real time performance gains. I personally would keep the 1100T and upgrade the mobo and ram, then take the money I would have spent on the Cpu and buy a SSD.

GA-970A-UD3P

This is a new version of my board, I would go for that. I run 4.4GHz daily, and around 5GHz for benching.
There were a few bugs with later revisions of my board, but this new model fixed them as far as I've heard.

@ "dj1992". I read your first post and tried to put my ownself in your shoes and you working with a buddy to put a system together. And from the gist I get, you will also be pretty responsible for your buddies rig. All that taken into account, I would not think to suggest a brand of mobo not already in your close up knowledge base. H*ll you already have experience with the Asrock EXT4 thing and have good results.

The problem from the outset is that most people have bought on price alone. They bought the cheap arse 970 chipset boards and that was for Asrock the EXT3's. I looked thru the specs for every 990X or 990FX board from the beginning of the later FX series of cpus and 'every' 990 chipset board was more robust than that brands 970 boards. Cheaper chipset just brought a cheaper board all around. IF and that has been huge for a little over 2 years now, if the consumer had spent just a hair more and gotten the Asrock 990FX EXT4 to begin with, we would have seen a much greater following for that board. It showed the better stuff 2 years ago and still is a pretty darn good mid-level board with the ability to go SLI or Crossfire as well at a pretty fair price point. Now that is how that board, at least in these forums, has gone mostly unnoticed. Not that it ever was useless but buying habits that major on cheap0 kept it overlooked.

Now I agree with "manny" that trying out the 1100T on a good board with faster ram would be my course of action. Heck you can buy the FX-6300 at any time. But if you/he could only get to 4.0Ghz with that 1100T it would still take about 4.5Ghz for the FX-6300 to perform more so than the 1100T at just 4.0Ghz.

You have already been around inside the bios of your EXT4. You do not have to go and REinvent the wheel with another brand. Crap, I think you should get a CHV or the Sabertooth 990 board, BUT h*ll man I am biased that way AND I put my bias away in order to get inline with you and your buds needs.

EXT4, push/pull 212 EVO, faster ram and give that Thuban a circle around the block. That is what is likely the most sensible and in the long run the better system alternative.
No matter what man...good fortune to you and your bud.
RGone...ster.

I would just like to throw out there that while the 1100t will have marginally better CPU performance, the Bulldozer's memory controller does have its advantages, namely native 1866 RAM.

That being said, perhaps the best bet is to forgo the CPU temporarily, but to upgrade the Motherboard and RAM to fully support the next generation of AMD CPU. This way, you will get more out of the 1100t than before, and you will be ready for an easy $200 upgrade to the new architecture 6- or 8-core.

Unless he is using the igpu, faster ram yields little to no gains in most activities, especially gaming, note.

+1 earthdog.
I have a 1090t and game with a 6300 and a 965, I have to clock the 6300 to 4.6-5.0, depending on the game to match the phenoms, so why not just invest in a video card?

if your deadset on a 6300.I have a top notch 6300 I'll pull out of the gamming rig and swap you for the 1100t, that will free up the budget some for other stuff, ( if he bites I'll be getting the better end of the deal).

if your deadset on a 6300.I have a top notch 6300 I'll pull out of the gamming rig and swap you for the 1100t, that will free up the budget some for other stuff, ( if he bites I'll be getting the better end of the deal).

You sly dog !! :shrug:

Back