• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp.... oddity?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luke1978

First the basics,

AMD FX-4130 (forgot, stock AMD cooler)
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Rosewill performance 600w
Seagate Barracuda 1tb
WD 320gb
EVGA GTX 550ti
NZXT Source 210 case
Windows 7 pro 64bit

Very modest OC of 4ghz on the cpu (200x20) stock voltage, RAM is all at default timings.

After the screen shuts off (not sleep, just screen off) and I go to use the PC speedfan is reporting high NB and CPU temps, CPU idles between 16c and 20c, and NB in the mid 30's, but when the screen comes back on the CPU is around 39c and the NB around 55c~ is this normal?

Also, Gigabyte's ET6 seems to interfere with speedfan being able to control the fans... and speedfan will not adjust the speed of the front fan on the 4 pin system header on this board, even with et6 uninstalled...

Sounds to me like you have too much software. Are you OCing through the ET6 ?
That is a bit of a weak board so you should expect some higher temps.
Have a read through this guide this will help you to Overclock through the Bios which is preferred. Use HWmonitor free version to monitor your temps and volts and get rid of the other software.

No, not overclocking through ET6, was just part of the utility install disc etc. Not a fan of software OC, never have been. All I used et6 for was fan control, but there is no variance/slope with it. Just min/max. Which led me to try speedfan. Before installing speedfan I uninstalled et6, but it seems like it left some sort of remnant in the registry or something (baseline fan speed stays at whatever I set ET6 at before uninstalling, tried several times to make sure). speedfan will NOT let me control either fan (CPU and system are 4 pin). and no matter how I set speedfan up the system overrides the settings.

Im not expecting anything earth shattering out of this board, and haven't really messed with desktops since socket 939 days, had an opteron 150 at 3.6ghz on phase. Ive just never seen temps go UP on an idle not in use rig and go back down when you start navigating around the desktop.

some boards will not idle the fans when they sleep, I have seen this before.

System monitoring software gives false readings sometimes on certain boards. It's not uncommon for them to report momentary temp spikes in transitions between sleep and wake. Have you tried using HWMonitor (non pro version)? That's the one most of us around here use. It reports current, max and min readings for temps and voltages. That may help you sort out if this is just a transition spike.

System monitoring software gives false readings sometimes on certain boards. It's not uncommon for them to report momentary temp spikes in transitions between sleep and wake. Have you tried using HWMonitor (non pro version)? That's the one most of us around here use. It reports current, max and min readings for temps and voltages. That may help you sort out if this is just a transition spike.

Yes I've tried HWMonitor.
Also I got my fan speed problem fixed. Typical in most cases like this I forgot to change the control type of my fans to SW controlled in speedfans settings.

Also, the problem seems to have fixed itself since then. My best guess is that while the fans were system controlled it was telling the fans they didn't need to spin any faster than a low idle while the screen was off to save power etc.
Rgone said:
Is what he said. No sleepie just monitor off. Humh?
RGone...ster.

:facepalm: Yes, as in computer is set to never sleep, just turn the monitor off after 15 minutes of inactivity.... :eh?:

HWMonitor report log...BIOS reports +12v rail correctly, HWM well not so much.

The red text is what its reporting my CPU temp as....

Hardware monitor ITE IT8728
Voltage 0 0.94 Volts [0x4E] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 1.49 Volts [0x7C] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 2.03 Volts [0xA9] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 3.41 Volts [0xA9] (+5V)
Voltage 4 8.06 Volts [0xA8] (+12V)
Voltage 5 -5.04 Volts [0x69] (-12V)
Voltage 6 -8.93 Volts [0xBA] (-5V)
Voltage 7 2.78 Volts [0x8A] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage 8 1.57 Volts [0x83] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 29°C (84°F) [0x1D] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 30°C (86°F) [0x1E] (TMPIN1)
Temperature 2 4°C (39°F) [0x4] (TMPIN2)
Fan 0 1372 RPM [0x1EC] (FANIN0)
Fan 1 354 RPM [0x775] (FANIN1)
Fan PWM 0 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 99 pc [0x7F] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM2)
My cooling is not that good....

Luke you're better off posting a screen shot directly to the forum. To do so click on "post reply" not quick post reply. Then look at the top click on the attachment tool "paper clip" next to the "smilies" then upload the pic to the site. It's best to use the windows snipping tool of the window not a whole screen shot, it just makes it easier to read. It will give us a better idea of what the temps and voltages are. To give us a true reading, download prime 95 and run it with hwmonitor open and then post a pic of hwmonitor.

Luke you're better off posting a screen shot directly to the forum. To do so click on "post reply" not quick post reply. Then look at the top click on the attachment tool "paper clip" next to the "smilies" then upload the pic to the site. It's best to use the windows snipping tool of the window not a whole screen shot, it just makes it easier to read. It will give us a better idea of what the temps and voltages are. To give us a true reading, download prime 95 and run it with hwmonitor open and then post a pic of hwmonitor.

after running p95. will snap a pic of BIOS showing correct voltages after I get back from the parade my daughter is in.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 154
You need to catch the bottom of the HWMonitor screen and stretch it until the CPU by name and "package" temp is visible also.
Gone...Again.

You need to catch the bottom of the HWMonitor screen and stretch it until the CPU by name and "package" temp is visible also.
Gone...Again.

It's between 68-70f in the house.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 153
It is never a real good idea to depend solely on software to read a chip correctly and report the exact voltages or anything else really for that matter. I have seen 100's of Giga boards report something incorrectly in software no matter which software is being used.

It is pretty plainly obvious that the software is in error on some of those voltages because the board would not even be running if the +5V were really just about 3.4V. So I would simply disregard the volts for the power supply as inaccurate when trying to be read in winders by some piece of software.

If I am ever in real concern about voltages I go and find the test points and read them with a good DMM.

Sure try some other software as it maybe calibrated better, but looking at your readouts, my bet is the I/O chip is showing wrongly to the software.

Some of the cheap Asus boards have given problems as well.

Gone...Again.

Your temps are fine, the Nb is a bit warm but nothing alarming. As far as voltages go HWMonitor is usually not accurate and I agree with RGone.

:bump:If I am ever in real concern about voltages I go and find the test points and read them with a good DMM.:bump:

Sure try some other software as it maybe calibrated better, but looking at your readouts, my bet is the I/O chip is showing wrongly to the software.

Some of the cheap Asus boards have given problems as well.

Gone...Again.

PC repair man's best friend :thup:

Thanks for that.

Back