• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Syliss

Registered
How much would I benefit in game performance by upgrading my FX-4350 to an FX-8350 or 9590? I will also be buying a Radeon R9 280X soon to replace my 8800GTX. Should I eventually get one of the 8 cores, or will my 4350 be enough for the newest games for a while?

reallly that gpu will boost youre performance exponentially compared to that chip. dont bother with the cpu. hell if thats saving you a few get a 290x.

If I were you I'd just buy the 280x and see how much better it is. You won't see much of a benefit with more cores. You didn't list your cooling, but if you can bump up the clocks on your current CPU and a new GFX you'll be rocking for games.

If I were you I'd just buy the 280x and see how much better it is. You won't see much of a benefit with more cores. You didn't list your cooling, but if you can bump up the clocks on your current CPU and a new GFX you'll be rocking for games.
Well I was for sure going to get the GPU. I mean, 4.2Ghz isn't slow, haha. But yeah, I think I'll see how much better it is.

Syliss,

Games tend not to be able to take advantage of many cores very well. They thrive more on core speed.

Keep in mind as well that the cores in the fx 8350 are simply a logic divide. Its a true 4 core processor split via programming to operate as an 8. I have it, and I love it, but it won't give you the problems a true 8 core will. Also, the 9xxx series processors have horrible reviews from buyers. whatever you do, do your research

Keep in mind as well that the cores in the fx 8350 are simply a logic divide. Its a true 4 core processor split via programming to operate as an 8. I have it, and I love it, but it won't give you the problems a true 8 core will. Also, the 9xxx series processors have horrible reviews from buyers. whatever you do, do your research

That's not exactly true. What you describe is more like how the hyper threaded intel CPUs operate. With the AMD FX 8xxx and 9xxx CPUs there are eight physical cores but the compromise is that they share a cash pool rather than each core having dedicated cache. At least that's my understanding.

See the attached. According to mine, it's a 4 core, logically split into 8. This is run with msinfo32 in the search bar of the start menu. Not throwing it in your face, just saying. But you get the advantages of speed from an 8 core without the problems because it's only a true 4 core.

Attachments

• 8350 4 Core.PNG
    8350 4 Core.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 56
Here's a simple diagram of a Module. Which shows the shared resources. Tasks are sent to the module from windows and passed through a shared scheduler which sends to the "cores" The cores work independantly and are seperate logical cores. The shared scheduler tends to slow things a bit, cache is shared in processors all the time. All calcs pass through the L3 on it's way out of CPU's.

buul mod.jpg

So maybe I don't have a good understanding of what physical and logical is. I see four pipelines on each side of Johan45's pic but they are "pipelines" not "cores". What I'm thinking of is those xray pics of CPUs where you see the imprinted circuits exploded and you can see rectangles in them that look like what I would call cores. To me that's a physical core. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Here is a pic. Not exactly what I was looking for but it illustrates my concept anyway.

Attachments

• FX-8350.PNG
    FX-8350.PNG
    125.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Here, this is more like what I was looking for but is of an old Athlon 64 X2. You can see the two cores and that to me is physical.

Attachments

• AII-64.PNG
    AII-64.PNG
    219.2 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for all the replies. However, I found an EVGA GTX 770 for $359 (which is now the same price as the 280x I was looking at.) I think I'll get the 770, just because it has the 3 free games, and higher reviews, etc.

Here, this is more like what I was looking for but is of an old Athlon 64 X2. You can see the two cores and that to me is physical.
Yeah, I agree. I think of my CPU as a quad-core, even though it only has 2 physical cores. I mean, it performs like a quad-core, so I have no complaints.

Back