• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$250 budget build for a friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2gig

So, I'm working on a $250 budget build for my friend. For a gamer, $250 is not a lot to work with, but his chief concern was Maplestory, so anything else it can run would be gravy. Normally I wouldn't feel the need to come to a forum to double check a build, but I don't typically build in this budget range nor do I have any experience with using APUs for their graphics processing. Also, he's already got a hard drive and peripherals, which was pretty much mandatory considering the budget constraint.

MSI FM2-A55M-E33 Motherboard
AMD A6-5400K APU
G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2x4GB) @1866
Corsair CX 430W PSU
Cheapo Case & Case Fans

Skippable paragraph on decision making process:
I started my search with the case just to see how much of my budget that would eat. This was one of the cheapest cases with good reviews, and it has a lot more fan spots than most in its price range. I also factored the fans and PSU in this early on. Quality on the PSU was a must, and Corsair is known to provide. Next I searched for the motherboard again mostly to see how much it would take from the budget, since I'd read that the AMD APUs provide significantly better performance graphics wise. I obviously don't mean to say Intel is bad, but rather their built-in graphics seem to be geared strictly toward office/casual use. Next, for RAM, I would normally consider 4GB an acceptable minimum, but since the APU will be eating system RAM, I went with 8GB, which wasn't as much of a price hike as I thought it would be anyway. With all that stuff figured out, I went for the best APU that would still fit the budget, which was the A6-5400k as far as I could tell. It's dual-core, but as far as I know, Maplestory isn't multithreaded anyway lol.

I switched to the $3 more expensive Ares series because 1866 Mhz is the highest frequency the APU supports. While my previous choice was 2133 Mhz, it had worse clock ratings. My biggest concern right now is whether or not AMD provides stock cooling which is actually sufficient, but at least the case will should have good airflow with that fan pack. I'll probably slap some Arctic Silver 5 on it as well since I have it.

The AMD stock cooler is plenty good even for mild Overclocking.

Have you also factored in the Power Supply, Optical Drive, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor? $250 doesn't go very far, as you said.

What you have chosen thus far looks good to me as far as a tight budget build goes.

The AMD stock cooler is plenty good even for mild Overclocking.

Have you also factored in the Power Supply, Optical Drive, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor? $250 doesn't go very far, as you said.

What you have chosen thus far looks good to me as far as a tight budget build goes.

I already factored the PSU, it's linked right above the case and below the ram. He's providing an optical drive and peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitor).

Good call, I missed that. It looks good for me. You can also let him know what sorts of cards support Hybrid-CF with that CPU, so he can have a significant upgrade for like $70 in the future if he wishes to.

Good call, I missed that. It looks good for me. You can also let him know what sorts of cards support Hybrid-CF with that CPU, so he can have a significant upgrade for like $70 in the future if he wishes to.

Awww shoot that's something I wanted to ask about but forgot when I made the post. Do all FM2 motherboards support the Hybrid Crossfire? I couldn't figure out how to distinguish which motherboards support that.

Looks like the A55 does not support it. But that's according to Wikipedia. Can't seem to find anything on the AMD site regarding chipsets.

Looks like the A55 does not support it. But that's according to Wikipedia. Can't seem to find anything on the AMD site regarding chipsets.

Thanks, I guess I'll look over the other boards in the price range and check wikipedia for their chipsets.

Edit: Strangely Overstock.com and Amazon lists it as supporting Hybrid Crossfire, while newegg and the official MSI site make no mention.

Last edited:
Pretty good build on a budget. Mine is in my sig.... I basically wanted to do a little bit of gaming, but the gaming I do I don't need the highest fastest settings because I maybe play 2-3hrs a week.

I built mine for right around $300.

Pretty good build on a budget. Mine is in my sig.... I basically wanted to do a little bit of gaming, but the gaming I do I don't need the highest fastest settings because I maybe play 2-3hrs a week.

I built mine for right around $300.

Wow you got all that for $300?!?! It comes out to a lot more on Newegg.

Also, it actually does say that the board supports Hybrid Crossfire on Newegg. It just doesn't use the words hybrid, cross, or fire, which is what I was typing into ctrl+f... Rather, they referred to it as "AMD Dual Graphics".

Back