• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU damage test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cubusmedusa

Registered
Hi,

i am new in this Forum and new to overclocking so please be Patient with me. :) As usual I did some tweaking without properly reading literature. Patience has never been my strong point. :) Therefore my question if there is a way to check a cpu for integrity. To check if there are any physical damages that may have occured during tweaking. Can a CPU compensate for damages up to a certain Point? Or is it going to be more like 0 or 1? If there is any Kind of damage (for example due to high voltages) it is not going to work anymore?

I am working with a core i5-760 on a p7p55lx with 4x2gb 1333 RAM and I have to say that at Default everything works perfectly stable (checked with prime95 and OCCT). Even slightly overclocked to 3,5GHz everything seems to be fine. But beyond that I am not stable and I would like to know whether this is a matter of Settings and/or OC-ability of my System or any Kind of damage to my cpu?

Chris

Chances are the Cpu will save itself, by shutting down or crashing, before you can do any real long term damage to it. Is it possible you damaged it overclocking it? It's possible, not knowing what you changes you have made, but again unlikely, if it still works. That said depending on how long you have had it overclocked and the temps that were run, it's possible it has degraded over time. Furthermore, overclocking to 3.5 on that chip isn't exactly a slight overclock. What are you using to cool it?

HI,

thanks for your reply. I started with Standard Intel cooler until i reached 90°C for 30 seconds or so at 3,8GHz. Then I switched to Corsair H60(2013). With silent fan Profile in BIOS i run at 32°C idle and ~50°C OCCT at 3.5GHz.

If your temps are at 50c using OCCT you're fine. You should have a read of this thread. I'm also going to ask an admin to move this to the Intel Cpu section, you'll probably get more responses there.

thanks for the link. I found it 3 hours ago and i am a lot wiser now :) .
So I can assume that if everything is like it is now, the cpu is fine sofar?

Yes, usually if you hurt a chip by overclocking, it just stops functioning. They will degrade over time but in reality unless you're really punishing it by running high temps constantly or really high voltages, the amount the life span is shortened is insignificant.

What you should do is this, download Cpu-Z and Hwmonitor "non pro" open hwmonitor and run prime 95 for 20 minutes. Then post a screen shot of hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, cpu, spd and memory. This will give people a better idea of what is going on with the rig under load.
how to attach photos.PNG

Hi,

These are the data you requested. In the meantime I went through the step by step process of this great tutorial and I am at the stage to have found the max bclk which seems to run stable. Beside Prime95 I have other programs running in parallel to verify stability. At the Moment I am running 210MHz at 1.35V IMC voltage.

I came to the question whether it is necessary to tweak RAM or is it Independent of my CPU Performance tweaks? Meaning, do I have to tweak RAM to be able to improve CPU Performance? I personally would prefer to leave it as is.

My plan is to leave out step 2 (RAM) and go to step 3, disable LLC since I am not interested in the ABSOLUTE MAX Performance and trying to reach as high Multiplier as possible by increasing Vcore if necessary.

Attachments

• OC_status.jpg
    OC_status.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 171
If you're just trying to your max multiplier then no you don't need to mess with the ram.
Are you looking for max stable 24/7 or just max and stable enough to run a benchmark?

Trying to find the max multiplier is relevantly easy, just keep raising the multiplier and add voltage. If you're looking for 24/7 stability, run prime blend or whatever stability of your choice and make sure the temps stay below what is specified in the guide.

Though, if you're looking for a max stable 24/7 oc tuning the memory for better performance is also helpful.

Good morning :)

ok, for the Moment i will skip the RAM issue. Maybe another day if I feel like tweaking more. I am looking for 24/7 stability.

According to the tutorial I have to raise BCLK and Vcore to find Maximum stable CPU frequency while having the Multiplier at max. This is what I am doing right now. I am now at 180x22 at 1,475V Vcore and 1,4V IMC. CPU:OCCT runs fine. If I run OCCT Power supply I get troughs where the Multiplier is set to 9. During more conservative OCing I got the Impression that this is systematic in this test.
But I am not sure. I swithed LLC on now and will check whats going on. I am not sure whether my Powersupply may be the bottleneck (450W bequiet).

Last edited:
Coming back to my Initial question for a Moment - is there something that can test CPU Status like MemTest for RAM?
Just so I'm clear, are you asking if there is a program you can run to see if the Cpu has sustained any damage from overclocking and degraded over time? If that is what you're asking, not that I know of. If you're asking what program to use to test if the Cpu is stable at the clockspeeds you have it at for 24/7 operation. I like Prime 95 but OCCT is also good, with my Pc's if I can pass 2 hours of prime 95 blend torture test, they are stable for what I use them for. Hope that helps?!

Also you're power supply should be fine, though I don't know what Gpu you have so it's tough to say what overall power draw you have.

Just so I'm clear, are you asking if there is a program you can run to see if the Cpu has sustained any damage from overclocking and degraded over time?

I was asking for that. Ok than I will Keep as you stated initially. If the cpu runs it should be ok. No major Degradation etc.

The grafics Card is a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD5770

Do you have an idea where These frequency troughs could come from in the occt power supply test?
Ok in this Moment I see the same in the cpu-test so it seems that I am not yet stable.

I'm not familiar with OCCT so I really have no answers for you there. But if you're concerned about your power supply Be Quiet makes pretty good power supplies, depending on how old the unit is that you have it should be fine with a Radeon 5770. If you overclokc the Gpu as well, you may start getting into to trouble power wise.

I was able to get a Voltmeter and a powermeter. Pretty old but working. At least to get an idea of Powerconsumption. Of course no info about Peak loads but a good indicator.

with Win7 Pro 64bit idle: 170 Watt
OCCT CPU: 250 Watt
OCCT Powersupply test: 370 Watt
all values constant load.

Considering my 450W PS (afaik the max power cannot be reached anyway by None of the PS´s) and the observed troughs I have a naive hypothesis. I do reach the Limits of my PS at least to a certain degree. The capacitor which is in an unknown condition cannot reload properly under the constant load of the PS test. The CPU frequency is therefore reduced to the Minimum multiplicator to reduce load to be able to load the capacitor again. Then up the Multi again until the Limit of the capacitor is reached again. This could be the Explanation for the constant apperance of the troughs and the Absence when the PS test repeatedly cycles RAM load from max to min.

Under CPU load alone These Problems do not appear. I will upload a OCCT graph of this trough-issue.

Well it seems right that when testing the Psu that it will take power away from the Cpu. Anyhow like I said depending on the model Be Quiet makes pretty good power supplies. You shouldn't have an issue with it unless your overclocking the Gpu and stressing the Cpu and Gpu 100%.

The OCCT power supply test puts 100% cpu, 100% gpu and 90% RAM. I think quite a good test whether or not your PS is able to deliver at full System load. With this data i am pretty confident that I reach the PS Limits. Considering its Age, model, working hours, etc.
At the Moment I run 2hrs OCCT CPU at 180/22, 1.5Vcore, 1.4V IMC at max 55-60°C. This is enough for today. I am pretty happy with the results.

Thank you very much for your Support. You helped me a lot to find my way through this. I have a list of things that can be worked on to tweak even more but this is for the future.

Cheers,
Chris

Back