• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxicsock

Registered
I'm having trouble booting my computer after relocating it at a friend's house. I'm getting 2 beeps at the beginning, then 3 beeps continuously. I've read that this is a RAM problem, but I just don't see how it could be my RAM. I dont overclock, and the last time I opened up my rig was about 6 months ago. Nothing comes up on the screen either. I removing the ram and putting it on a different channel, but that doesnt seem to work.

This is my current motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130620

The comp has been running fine for 3 years and I move it a lot, maybe this time when I moved it I possibly messed up something? Any help or advice would really help.

Two. I've already tried putting them in different slots and also only putting 1 stick in each slot. I even reset CMOS and still nothing.

Have you trued this.

1) Power down the PC
2) Turn off the power supply (If not able, go to step 4, then 3, then 5)
3) Attempt to turn on the PC (To clear any residual charge)
4) Unplug the power
5) Locate JBAT1 Jumper (Lower right, near the front side connections)
6) Switch the jumper from 1-2, to 2-3
7) Wait 5 minutes
8) Switch the jumper from 2-3, to 1-2
9) Plug the power cord back in, and turn on the power supply.
10) Attempt to power the PC on

Did that as well. The only thing I haven't done yet is swap out the ram for different ones, which I won't be able to do until tomorrow. Other than that, I THINK I've done every troubleshoot step possible.

Yes, but I haven't messed with the timings or voltages since I built my pc. Do you think it could possibly be my ram or is that unlikely?

can you please list all of the systems specs.

It almost sounds like a bad power supply. Do the fans spin up? does the system post and are you able to enter the bios?

Also make sure the cpu 4 or 8 pin plug is connected and check sll of the plugs while your at it.

Specs:

CPU- AMD Zambezi 4100 @4.0GHz
GPU- SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870
MOBO - MSI 990XA-GD55
RAM - 2x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1866MHz
HDD - Seagate Baracuda 7200RPM 500GB
PSU - Thermaltake tr2 rx 850w
CASE - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K63
OS - Windows 7 64-bit

EDIT: Fans are spinning. System is not posting. Everything is connected.

I'm guessing its the ram or the motherboard at this point. I just can't imagine both sticks going bad especially since they're G.skill sticks. I know that MSI motherboards have had several issues in the past with AM3/AM3+ and the vrm's. I would try some different sticks in it but the chances of both sticks going bad is highly unlikely leading me to think its the mobo.

The flexing of components though the physical move or moving from warm inside to cold outside and back to warm inside environment may have caused traces on the motherboard to break.

Back