• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any updates on the 290/290x aftermarket card situation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
I have a few friends waiting for me to tell them when these darn Aftermarket cards come out and its been far to long without any updates.

anyone know anything?

I'm proably waiting mostly to see the giga windforce 3 model but anything at this point would be good new's.

I'm waiting for the same info, haven't heard anything new and have a friend using iGPU right now just waiting.

I've checked on this every now and then and what I am reading is end of Dec early Jan. Also I believe the 290 is coming before the 290x.

I'm waiting for the same info, haven't heard anything new and have a friend using iGPU right now just waiting.

I'm in the same boat.
Just finished selling both my 7970s (at a profit, lol miners) and had already lent my 6950 to a friend who is also waiting for 290(x) third party coolers.

I'm in the same boat.
Just finished selling both my 7970s (at a profit, lol miners) and had already lent my 6950 to a friend who is also waiting for 290(x) third party coolers.

Today I got money from selling 7970, ~$385 ( local prices are sick ) so I could buy R9 290/X if anything good non-reference will be available soon or 2nd GTX780 ( Classified or something like that ).

Today I got money from selling 7970, ~$385 ( local prices are sick ) so I could buy R9 290/X if anything good non-reference will be available soon or 2nd GTX780 ( Classified or something like that ).

Those 780TI 's are calling me!
My will power waning

Me neither.
I'm even less impressed with the prices, so much so I just went out and bought a reference 780 last night.
It'll have to do until next gen

So now the MSRP has gone up a $100?? Yeah...might be going back to Nvidia after waiting all this time for the 290...

So now the MSRP has gone up a $100?? Yeah...might be going back to Nvidia after waiting all this time for the 290...
For $100 markup I can watercool it... No idea what they're thinking. Still not sure that would drive me back to Nvidia (thought $/performance was still in favor of R9), but it is making it a difficult decision.

yes amd is currently not doing itself any favors for its enthusiast market when the bit coin bubble pops which it has been they are going to find alot of customers whom would have been buying amd using nvidia cards already.

Just recently told my friend to get a 780GTX instead he can get a Gigabyte windforce 3 oc 780 GTX for 510$ cad -- cant beat that when the 290's are all up around 500+ area with the stock **** coolers on them still and that's the ones you can get stock on atm.

I just cant recommend a 550-600$ 290 when its supposed to be a 400 starting price card maybe 435$ max after aftermarket cooler is on it , that was the whole purpouse of the card to begin with "its price per performance value".

I dunno about MSRP going up, but LTC and BTC miners have certainly driven the street price of the cards up... I want a 290/X pretty badly, but not at $1-200 markups... You could try to blame the retailers, but people keep buying them at these prices, so why not raise the price?

Wait until after the holidays die down, supply will catch up, prices will fall back down and aftermarket solutions should become available.

There are 290X's being leaked/unveiled/announced fairly regularly now. The Asus DCII version was announced (I'll see if I can find a link, I can't remember where I saw it) the MSI Twin Frozr version has been shown, there's a Lightning version in the works, Powercolor just announced a liquid cooled version that comes pre-installed with an EK water block, etc.

It certainly does make that 780 Ti look a lot more attractive when you're seeing R9-290X's going for anywhere from $7-900 depending on how bad the retailer wants to gouge.

I dunno about MSRP going up, but LTC and BTC miners have certainly driven the street price of the cards up... I want a 290/X pretty badly, but not at $1-200 markups... You could try to blame the retailers, but people keep buying them at these prices, so why not raise the price?

Wait until after the holidays die down, supply will catch up, prices will fall back down and aftermarket solutions should become available.

There are 290X's being leaked/unveiled/announced fairly regularly now. The Asus DCII version was announced (I'll see if I can find a link, I can't remember where I saw it) the MSI Twin Frozr version has been shown, there's a Lightning version in the works, Powercolor just announced a liquid cooled version that comes pre-installed with an EK water block, etc.

It certainly does make that 780 Ti look a lot more attractive when you're seeing R9-290X's going for anywhere from $7-900 depending on how bad the retailer wants to gouge.

I linked to a post about the DCII in this thread

In reality how loud is the reference cooler? I've heard its bad but this 550ti at 100% fan speed is LOUD. Like crinkly lays bag in the middle of a movie distractingly loud..

Back