• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD: "FX is Not EOL"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good read man. Thanks for finding and linking it. In the background with all saying AM3+ was dead, I was saying not so. BUT I don't trust PR reps from AMD anymore than I trust most congressmen. They speak with forked tongue most of the time. Matters of convenience.

HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture), hUMA (Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access), Those ideas are not brand new with AMD. Those ideas are one of the reasons AMD bought ATI those years ago. To get in at the ground level. But as in most things, there are pioneers of the future and prison guards of the past at war all the time. It takes a good while to get adoption of new ideas. Time to make the tech "pay".

Nobody wants a beige box anymore. They want a folding 20 inch screened pocket gaming, texting, sub $400.00 contrivance at their side at all times. Any company in business must go where the money is. AMD has been trying to find that money trail.
RGone...ster.

HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture), hUMA (Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access), Those ideas are not brand new with AMD. Those ideas are one of the reasons AMD bought ATI those years ago. To get in at the ground level. But as in most things, there are pioneers of the future and prison guards of the past at war all the time. It takes a good while to get adoption of new ideas. Time to make the tech "pay".

RGone...ster.

This may in fact be the next logical step in hardware/software devleopment, But as you say RGone it all takes time for the software community to first adopt it and then to actually optomize it.
Avery good example is 64 bit processing. Computers have progerssed in steps from 8 to 16 to 32 and now 64. 64 bit computing has been around since the 70's, Intel and HP had ideas of 64 bit in the late 90's but it took AMD's Idea of combining 64 bit into the current x86 structure to make a successfu mainstream launch in 2003. Me assuming that this is the next step bought XP x64 when I built a system around that time.
What a terrible idea that was, the software developers couldn't manage to get anything to work well, sometime it didn't work at all. But 10years later X64 is the norm. Too bad it took 10 years to get the software community to catch up, hell even multi core processors aren't utilized well at this point and 4 cores have been around for nearly 10 years.
As RGone was saying some are just resistant to change for whatever reasons either lack of /people/skills/money. Adopting new things in the computer world seems to take forever in the real worl.

surely if they are gonna make a new cpu core for the APU's its gonna be based off of the next gen of fx cpu's? i mean the next cpu cores for the apu's are gonna be steamroller & excavator.

or maybe they are just gonna move to only APU's but with the faster "8 core" FX chips on them instead of just using the lower end cpu's, perhaps they started it with the APU's they designed for the xbox, they are supposed to be pretty fast for on chip graphics. if so the fm2 or fm2+ or fm3 board they would release for these had better have some serious power connections on them :p

Those are the keywords though, not pulled from the market place but not upgraded either.

does not have any plans to update its FX-series microprocessors in 2014 and does not seem to have plans to replace them even in 2015
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...e_Not_EOL_ing_FX_Line_of_Microprocessors.html

Personally, I'd think they're holding back a bit about what they might or might not do with the FX. Here is another report about the upcoming Kaveri APU (steamroller cores) in which it looks pretty strong against a i5 4670K although the report doesn't make it clear whether we're looking at the strength coming from the gpu or the cpu.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/33387-more-kaveri-specs-and-performance-figures-emerge

I've heard elsewhere that steamroller brings around 20%-30% more performance on the CPU. I would imagine that AMD will do with the FX whatever it can do for relatively little R&D and development cost--perhaps, as Wagex speculated, we'll be seeing 8 core FX APU's with excavator or steamroller cores and high Ghz sooner rather than later....here's hoping :)

AMD also announced sometime back that in order to conserve development costs they would sometimes avoid moving to new processes and etch out as much as they could from existing processes. So perhaps we'll be seeing a third iteration of Vishera at 32nm with even higher speeds than FX 9370 and 9590

i seriously doubt AMD would just abandon the FX line without having something to replace it . AMD is most likely trying to not take on too many projects at once since their R&D budget is nothing like intels . they have to complete more profitable projects b4 undertaking less profitable ones. they made right decision in my opinion working out "Kaveri"/Steamroller on the smaller processors as they will be more popular in the mainstream and to let that tch trickle down to server/enthusiast builds later when they have the process more refined so they get better chip yields when you start trying to make 6+ core processors which will keep prices more competitive . IN the current market there is no absolute nessecity to force an upgrade in the next 6 months from AMD besides for benchmarking boasting. a good FX 6+ core processor with a good GPU will play any game on market within 2-3% of the FPS of its intel counterpart. with only very few exceptions and still considering MB and chip costs will be alot cheaper to do so .
IN my opinion AMD should not consider major socket changes until DDR4 is ironed out and then they can drop PCIe 3.0 with same upgrade with an uber optimises 8-12 core steamroller fx series with much better architechure. unlike INTel's strategy for forcing socket changes every 1.5 years or so

IMO there will be no "Steamroller". The next release will be "Excavator" die shrink/new chipset-pin count/probably even ddr4. So Steamroller is probably being passed over until the new stuff. This is just my speculation of course.

I was hoping for a "Steamroller" at the second half of 2014 for an upgrade but anyways these are good news.

Back