• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tindam188

I am upgrading to an FX-8350 with the possibility of overclocking in the future, any recommendations for motherboards?

Just so another thread isnt needed, any recommendations for a psu for a simple setup with an FX-8350?

Thanks in advance and I apologise for my lack of experience.
Tindam188

1, Asus 990FX Sabertooth Rev Original or 2 only!!

2, Asrock 990FX Extreme 9.

3, Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z.

The reason why these have been chosen is they have the capability of Overclocking a FX 8350 CPU!! You really need a VRM Section built like Brick, To supply the necessary current and Voltage needed. ;) :thup:

AJ.

I've got sabertooth 990 r 2.0. Also new to overclocking, but it takes what I throw at it with no complaints. I'd look into that board. bout 180 on the cost scale. and the psu will depend on your gpu and what you're looking to do with it (ie overclock). good luck

Quote:
Why not Asus 990Fx sabertooth gen3

Nothing but problems when overclocking the Fx 8xxx on it.

Plus it appears, unless it has changed in the last 2 weeks or so, it has been removed from the Usa market. I found some left over in the EU but none here in Usa that I could see. I did hear that after it was out that Asus put it into limited edition mode and that would mean they only made a few.
RGone...ster.

The ASRock 990FX EXTREME 4 is pretty good for its price and has a nice BIOS that is easy to navigate. Like Ajay57 said, you NEED a solid VRM, otherwise you will run unstable.

i am using a ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 with my 8350 and it works great i am overclocked to 5 GHZ with idle temps in the low 35 c range and gameing temps around 50 c after a few hours of playing

i am using a ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 with my 8350 and it works great i am overclocked to 5 GHZ with idle temps in the low 35 c range and gameing temps around 50 c after a few hours of playing
How long have you stress tested it at 5.0 using prime 95?

Thanks very much for all the help, after much consideration I think I am going to go for the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0.

Thanks Again
tindam188

Good choice you wont be sorry. Now decide on how much overclocking you'll want to do, it will be vital in choosing what cooling you will want to go with, do it right the first time.

tindam188, you in the Usa or somewhere else. Right now at the holiday season in the Usa there have been many 'deals' on items. Power supplies at NewEgg for Usa customers have had some good price cuts on power supplies. Some even already sold out.

Lately it seems somethings cheap in Usa are high other places and somethings elsewhere are even cheaper than the Usa. The value of money is moving.
RGone...ster.

Reviews - Seasonic G Series 650W
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=348

JGuru has been doing a good job at his site on really looking accurately at what a power supply
is able to do. Well at least the one of a brand/series in his lab.

When you get to the page where he finishes up the scoring and he is doing the "VALUE" segment some interesting things come out. OTHER similar power supplies in the price range of the one tested.
I did not have to read 10 or 15 reviews to get pretty clued in.

I also like to have 4 of the 6/8 pin connectors for the PCIe video cards. Well heck I might do SLI or Crossfire and having the cables at first instead of trying to do something later is a plus for me.

I doubt you will find a better P/S in this watt rating. Something maybe cheaper but that is not the same as better.

Some would say that 500 wattts would handle your load and might do so. I don't ever buy power equal to only what I think will need. I get some extra. Now if money gets to be a real "item" then of course one must do as one must do.

If you knew everything you were going to use in your rig for the next 6 to 8 months, might be able to look for a little lesser and maybe cheaper unit.
RGone...ster.

I would go for a higher rated PSU than you want, the reason being you can use it from build to the next build. And as RGone suggested its better to run a PSU @ say 50% to 75% then running at Max or nearly Max output. There is also RIPPLE to consider in a PSU so i would look at the ones on the OCF List, oh by the way if you can, always try to buy a Fully Modular PSU.

1, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

This was up dated on the 10th of November!! Happy reading.

AJ.

Cant thank you guys enough for the help, I think I am going to go for a OCZ ZT 750 psu as it fits my budget and it seems to have reasonable reviews
Thanks once again,
tindam188

Cant thank you guys enough for the help, I think I am going to go for a OCZ ZT 750 psu as it fits my budget and it seems to have reasonable reviews
Thanks once again,
tindam188

I use that one in my gaming rig, does great for my needs.

Back