• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I watercool my GTX 690 to achieve near-silence?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Klendagon

Hi Folks,

My reference GTX 690 runs very loud and hot under load, and I want to watercool it to make it as quiet as possible. I don't plan to overclock at all - quietness is my only priority.

Has anyone managed to achieve this? If so, what sort of rads and fans do you have? And in what case?

I hear the D5 pumps are very quiet. Is that true?

Will a single 360 rad be enough? Could I fit anything bigger into a Corsair 800D?

Do cases make that much of a difference to noise levels? Should I be considering quiet cases like the Fractal R4 when my radiators will be mounted so closely to the outside anyway?

Thanks so much everybody.

If you dont plan to overclock at all, a 360 rad with 3 quiet fans will be more than enough. Probably around 600-800rpm would beat the stock cooler temps.

If you dont plan to overclock at all, a 360 rad with 3 quiet fans will be more than enough. Probably around 600-800rpm would beat the stock cooler temps.

This. I'd use an MCP35x pump though. The PWM pumps can be better tuned for silence because they can run at slower speeds than the voltage controlled pumps. I think there's a few places selling PWM D5 variants, but it's a big pump and probably overkill for a single block loop like that. The MCP35x with reservoir top, a 360 rad, and some quiet fans should do very nicely for your needs.

This. I'd use an MCP35x pump though. The PWM pumps can be better tuned for silence because they can run at slower speeds than the voltage controlled pumps. I think there's a few places selling PWM D5 variants, but it's a big pump and probably overkill for a single block loop like that. The MCP35x with reservoir top, a 360 rad, and some quiet fans should do very nicely for your needs.
+1.. exactly. :thup:

Thanks a lot guys. I like the sound of that variable pump.

a 360 rad with 3 quiet fans will be more than enough. Probably around 600-800rpm would beat the stock cooler temps.

This is very helpful! So far I've seen the Corsair 800D, Switch 810 and maybe the Fractal R4 can all fit 360 rads. Going to keep looking around.

This is very helpful! So far I've seen the Corsair 800D, Switch 810 and maybe the Fractal R4 can all fit 360 rads. Going to keep looking around.

I don't think the fractal r4 will take a 360 without heavy modification, but you could get a 280 in front and 240 in the top. Just make sure the top one is slim.

Thanks, excellent video. The R4 is a tempting case, but a single 360 rad would be a lot less hassle than two smaller ones. I guess it comes down to trade-offs.

Thanks, excellent video. The R4 is a tempting case, but a single 360 rad would be a lot less hassle than two smaller ones. I guess it comes down to trade-offs.
Yea, I would go with the NZXT Switch if I wanted to run a 360 since it's made specifically for that size (or a 420) up top.

Speaking of the Switch, if you're spending the money for a custom loop, something like this looks pretty sweet, and could be done for way less than he spent:

My new R4 should arrive tomorrow, and I'm going with a Water 2.0 up top (with Noctua fans) since I'm going more for silence and stability than maximum OC, and I wanted to stay within a budget.

I have an h50 that I may put on the GPU later when I can get a Kraken G10. That should mount easily in the middle drive cage space on the R4, and it should all be nice and quiet.

Welcome to OCFs!

The 800D is an ok case for a simple CPU + GPU loop only with a 360mm rad up top unless you mod it. Air flow is mediocre for that case. I know from experience. :rofl:

+1 :thup:

I'd also look at the Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 if you're looking for a case other than the nice NZXT Switch. Lots of great cases out there. Figure out how much heat surface you're looking for and for future proofing as well.

Back