• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How far can i go ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1v0rteX

Hey guys,

i want to overclock my FX 8350 BE a bit. The problem is, im totally new to the topic and before i start messing up my computer, i wanted to ask for some advice.

My System:

CPU: FX 8350 BE (currently at stock speed)
MOBO: Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0
Cooler: Noctua NHU9B SE2 (maybe a bit underpowered for big steps in terms of oc?)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (installed 5 coolers with 140 mm)

Current Temps on Prime 95: After several hours of full load max 55 C° Socket and on the Cores 37C° if i read it correctly on HW Monitor.

Idle most of the time 28 to max 35 degrees...

So my Question is, are those Temperatures in stock ok and is there any room with my current setup to oc this thing in a way it actually is reasonable?

Best regards,

1v0rteX

Full load max temps we use around here are 70 C° Socket and on the Cores 62C° When viewed in Free HW Monitor.

A mind can do strange things to a person. There was a question I wanted to ask you and then I remembered, that I do not believe I have ever run P95 on an 8 Core FX processor with all the settings as AMD designed the FX to run. As AMD designed the processor to run. Meaning C1/E, C6, TurboCore, Cool N Quiet, APM; all set to Enabled and Windows Power Manager in the "Balanced Mode". So while your were running P95 in Blend test mode, did you happen to notice how many workers/cores were being used to ~100% all the time? Was P95 running in Blend mode, working all 8 cores to 100%?

That is key in guesstimating a little more about "how far can I go". I can give you what are generally considered as max temps and that is not a problem.
RGone...

Thx for the help at first :)

As far as i can judge, it seems that all 8 workers were loaded at 100 percent, yes.

Raise the multiplier one whole number and then run P95 for at least 20 mins or until there is a failure with P95 Blend mode and capture a screen shot of just HWMonitor menu stretched where we can see all voltages and the FX-8350 Package temp reading.

Overall we really need to see as below when you have made changes.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Ok i did like u told me too and raised the multi by one number. The result with prime was a shutdown after 6-7 Minutes testing. It was no bluescreen, windows just rebooted.

here is the screen of HW Monitor.

Attachments

• HWMonitor-OC.PNG
    HWMonitor-OC.PNG
    38 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Get you setup just right.

You May Need Help = We Need Info to Help.
MOBO > Model and Bios version.
CPU & Cooler > Be Specific.
MEMORY > Manufacturer & P/N & Size.
POWER SUPPLY > Manufacturer & Wattage.
VIDEO CARD > Make/Model/How Many.
HDDs/Optical drives > How Many? SSD? Raid/No Raid?
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard or Add-in?
USB > Usb Devices Plugged to Mobo?
O/S > Win? SP? Linux?
Case > Brand/Model/Fans Installed?

Need that informaton. WHEN you have enough posts you can go to user control panel at top and get in and make a signature that has that info showing with your every post. Make it easier for all to help.

Need that though now in a post so can see what is what. Try signature making as soon as possible.

If you did not take that capture of HWMonitor 'before' the reboot then that is not showing us system "loaded" information Try again after only two minutes of P95 capture HWMon since with up one on multiplier you have reboot.

Wanting all parts and pieces since reboot can come from weak power supply. Need to see what you have.

Have fun doing it too! It's like Dyno'ing a car, a tweak here a bit more there and strap it down and take it for a run. Play smart and have fun with it!

Back