• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB 3.0 problems / cpu load when driver installed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

xHCI compliant host controller is the problem.

In any case, it's not in my sig yet, but I have the Gigabyte AM3+ 990fx UD3 rev 4 mobo. 8150 cpu with 2x4gb mushkin redline at 1833. Nothing overclocked for the purposes of getting this issue resolved first.

So, once a new Win 7 64 was installed, I figured all is well, but got some yellow uninstalled devices. Looked around and found the above, and sure enough, once installed, it installed USB Hub 2, USB Hub 3 and lastly at the bottom of USB section of device manager, xHCI controller.

Everything works fine, but there is a HUGE problem. When I have this driver installed, in idle, with nothing plugged in, it's using between 13 and 30% of my CPU, ALL THE TIME! I read around and haven't found anything to fix this so now I had to uninstall it (just uninstalling the controller uninstalls the hub 2 and hub 3 as well, and creates one uninstalled icon in unknown devices, called Universal Serial Bus Controller).

As soon as it's uninstalled, the CPU goes to 0% and temps fall back down to under 25, whereas with the driver installed, they are always over 40, with the CPU always working.

Now I know it's a VIA USB hub, but don't know if I can install from VIA directly, and Gigabyte one is horrible, as above. I ran into a thread that said that VIA has a patch for just this problem, but the thread doesn't go any further than that.

I'm now trying to download a huge 66MB driver package from VIA itself although it warns not to use it, but its for VL800/VL801 usb which is what I think I have (rev 1 of my board had etron usb ports right?)

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreaciated.

The driver on the disc that came with the mobo doesn't work at all, possibly because I installed some other USB drivers and it doesnt' recognize just this one by itself, I don't know, but in any case, please help.

http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp#driver

The above is what I'm trying now, but I'm scared to even try it. Hopefully I get a reply before I try it.

The driver that works but causes huge CPU load all the time is just called VIA USB 3 that I got from a gigabyte affiliated site. It's version 2.10C

Hmm.. just an update.. I just did it for the Nth time, and this time I ran this file called `modify registry.exe`afterwards, and now it`s all installed and no CPU load. Wow, I think it`s fixed. But should I bother with version 4.0 and 4.3 that I`m getting from the VIA site or just forget about it since it`s working

Well I don`t know if it`s working, gotta plug something in, lol

With my Asus board the last several bios updates put out by the company had to do with USB problems. Have you checked to see if Gigabyte has a newer bios out for that board that addresses USB issues?

Back