• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much does a second gpu increase temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anthonyg45157

Gonna get a new PSU soon along with a 280x to crossfire with my 7970, was wonder how much temps would increase?

Right now my 7970 gets up to 75C after hours of gaming. I know this will depend on a bunch of factors.. But is there a general idea someone could give me, I have an antec 900, old mid tower case but has decent airflow... I don't have a side panel fan installed right now because a normal 120mm fan won't fit because my hyper 212 is too tall. I'm gonna order a "slim" fan to fit on the side door blowing right on the GPU areas. ..

General idea is all I'm asking for, thanks!

Going from a single 7950 to X-fire temps raised about 5-10c for me. Obviously it depends what your doing but yeh hopefully that will give you an idea.

skip the thin fan as most thin 120's dont push enough air to bother with them. Like ya said many factors come into play airflow being the biggest helper but even more is spacing between the 2 cards. without knowing more of your system it'll be hard to say for sure.

also can a 280 be xfired with a 7970?? I know there similar but I didnt know they were that similar

It also depends heavily on if they are blower style cards or custom cooled cards that often dump heat into the case. I used to have a pair of asus 6950 dcu II cards. Either one individually would run at around 60-65c load on a very quiet auto fan profile that stayed below about 30%. Both of them together in crossfire (triple slot cards so no real space between them and they dumped heat into the case) had the top card hitting 80-85c with the fan at an uncomfortably loud 75%.

also can a 280 be xfired with a 7970?? I know there similar but I didnt know they were that similar

As far as I know from what ice researched AMD made cards backwards compatible, a 280x is a rebranded 7970, with slight advantage. I've seen scaling results show a 280x Crossfired with 7970 get results than 2 7970s.

I'll upload a picture of my case as well, you guys might be able to help me move some stuff around to get better cooling, for example I have 3 HDDs blocking a lot of my airflow...

Here is a better look inside my case.. as you can see a second graphics card will fit but it will indeed be a tight fit and I will have to move some hard drives around.

any other tips for cooling would be great. the bottom two drive bays have 120 millimeters
fans

a3qa.jpg

qujp.jpg

6mrr.jpg

Too many variables to even guess man... it will add temps to the top card and overall case. To even guess with your case...... I wouldn't do it.

Any cases with AWESOME airflow and enough space for around 100$ would love full tower but probably not much in my price range.

So should I try crossfire? See how temps are and go from there? So you think 7970 crossfire is possible in a mid tower case? 7970 runs much hotter than my old 7870

I hate blanket statements and I just made one there. Chances are, it is not doing much if anything. Test yourself and see what temperature drops it is providing.

I will have to look at the pictures at home since my office blocks 3rd party hosts...

What Res are you running on and what is making you want to spend money to Xfire??

Is that a single VS247 in your Sig?? Or do you have more screens, just want to understand why!!

AJ.

I hate blanket statements and I just made one there. Chances are, it is not doing much if anything. Test yourself and see what temperature drops it is providing.

I will have to look at the pictures at home since my office blocks 3rd party hosts...

Thanks, would appreciate that!

What Res are you running on and what is making you want to spend money to Xfire??

Is that a single VS247 in your Sig?? Or do you have more screens, just want to understand why!!

AJ.

As of now single 1920x1080 screen. I'm not sure what VS247 you're talking about in my Sig.

That being said I'm really planning for the future, not only running msx settings on all "next gen" games but really considering a triple 1080 monitor setup or a single 2560x1440 display.. Not sure which route I wanna go just yet.
Any and all input is good

That thing isn't doing anything but making that gpu 'compete' for air. Get rid of it and see what happens...

As far as 3 screens or single 1440p, I'd do the latter. Simply because these days, a single high end card will be able to do 1440p. Whereas with 3 1080p monitors, you really need multiple high end gpus to get the job done ($$$$). That is more heat to dump, more power to use, and there are also occasional (read a lot more frequent than with single card) issues that can plague multiple gpu setups. It is just not something in reccomend to most, but especially those that are a bit green.

Not an expert or anything but going from my own long term plans with my current build.

I'd say remove that exhaust fan (is it really that effective?). That's the first time I've ever seen one (didn't know they even existed). Place the 2nd GPU there. Place an intake fan on the outside (not a slim one) of your case, if the HS is blocking it from the inside.

Wait...you have a Antec 900 case? Isn't slot over where your GPU is? You can't fit a fan on the inside to blow over the GPU? That's actually where I'd place the fan.

Also as AJ is asking, do you NEED this second GPU for something? Is the 7970 not doing the job on it's own? Your sig says you have a 7870, btw. Is that a typo? Also I think AJ was looking at my sig. :rofl:

Last edited:
Back