• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 9370 issues with Crosshair Formula V - Z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZeypherUndellus

First off, here are my current config. specs.

AMD 9370 (4.7 GHz at 1.51 volts),
AMD Reference R9 290 ( 0 modifications),
ASUS Crosshair Formula V-Z Motherboard with both eight-pin and 4-pin connected,
ToPower 1000W non modular power supply 80 plus gold cert,
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme with 2 PWM Corsair SP 120 performance fans (Using software to control inside the OS),
Creative THX certified soundcard X-Fi HD Titanium,
Corsair 750D with all stock fans in place (Slightly negative air pressure),
RAID 1 WD 300GB 10000RPM Hard disk (MAIN),
Seagate 7200RPM 1TB Hard dsik (SECONDARY),
Seagate Backup 2TB,
16GB RAM G. Skill 2133MHz 11-11-11-30 (Running at 1600 9-9-9-28),
Second latest BIOS,
All BIOS options unchanged with the exception of power saving features,

Now that the list is done (Tell me if I've missed anything important), my problem is... really weird. I had to by a new motherboard when my Gigabyte UD3 died and I bought the new AMD 9370 with it (it was the same price as the 8350 and I liked the guaranteed 4.4GHz clock). So, I build my machine all over again, get into setup, make sure my boot drives configured, yada yada yada. I eventually ran prime95 on stock CPU, RAM, GPU settings for stability purposes (I'm a heavy gamer and music editor). After twenty minutes i noticed some CPU throttling. We're talking about severe throttling, down in the 1400MHz range, and then it goes back up and fluctuates frequently between the two numbers. I install core temp and HWmonitor, and I start looking for trends in the temperature of the CPU.

HWmonitor provides 2 temps. One, I believe, is the socket and I know the other is the core temp due to... well, core temp! The cores stay well below what I am aiming for (50 degrees. My absolute is 72 degrees centigrade, because in reality it won't ever get that hot). So there shouldn't be throttling, correct? I'm pretty sure. Core temp says the chip's tjmax is 90 degrees centigrade. But it still throttles after 20 minutes of prime95. What the hell is going on? It has to be the other temp pin on the board. But how do I get to it?

I took off the windowed (motherboard front access) panel of my case and took a house fan too it. I thought the additional cooling would help cool off the VRMS and MOSFETS in the system where only air is being pulled indirectly over them. There wasn't a difference. So I took the other panel off and aimed the fan at the back of the motherboard's CPU socket and ran the tests again.

There was a dramatic effect. First, my CPU socket temps leveled off at 70 degrees centigrade (this is not the core temp). Second, the CPU throttling disappeared and I was able to do my 24 hour stability tests without worry.

HOWEVER...

I wanted to overclock the CPU, and I'd rather not have that noisy fan in the back of my open, supposedly silent, dust free case. I could go custom loop but then I'd cool the hell out of the setup, and I'd rather not spend north of $700 to fix what might be a $25 problem. I didn't have this issue with my 8320 (With broken pins, that's why I replaced and upgraded) overclocked to 4.4 at 1.53 volts on my UD3 motherboard. Had I really been planning I would have used an Intel solution, but hindsight is 20/20 right?

Any questions, comments, thoughts, ideas, etc. on the subject? Honestly, the computer works, I just thought it was an intriguing fix to the problem and I can't find my topic anywhere else on the internet.

The throttling is definately from the thermal limit on the socket temps. Best guess any way fans on the VRM section and one like this on the back will help alot.

Capturefan.PNG

I'm out for about 40 minutes. Will be back.

Ah. Interesting picture there I will definitely get something like that. As for the VRM, MOSFETS I believe that the slight negative pressure of the case forces air already over it, but the suggestion is noted.

We're talking about severe throttling, down in the 1400MHz range,
Do you still have cool and quiet enabled and c1e? Cpu dropping down to 1400 sounds like C&Q. Though it shouldn't with it under load. What about windows power is it set to performance or balanced?

That picture johan posted, doing that on the NB Vrm section can help as well.

I should mention that I have messed with BIOS settings. Yes, I have disabled all power saving features. If I may ask, what is c1e? I can't find that (or its aptly named cousin whatever it may be).

Based on what many of had to do with high current draw and high heat of FX 8 cores and using Water Cooling...you may not find a magic setting in bios if APM is really disabled.

Well knowing these two guys have pushed and adjusted and re-adjusted to push, they had to do this for VRM & Socket cooling. You may as well with water cooling since they are cooling with water also. Me too, but no pictures, but fans blowing on rear of board and VRMs.

Oh yes Johan45 has run his FX-9370 on his similar Sabertooth 990FX board while he waits on a CHV-z board to come in.
RGone...ster

attachment.php

Mandrake's fan over VRMs.

attachment.php

Johan45's fan on rear of mobo at cpu socket. Johan45 says >> This kind of set-up dropped my socket temps a lot.

Alright, I know enough about it to work with at this point. Thanks to all and I may come back sometime with my individual results with what I'll do.

Good deal man. Yeah, come back and grab this, your own thread, and let us see what is what. Luck man.
RGone...ster.

It'll be a bit before I can do anything. Finals and not being near the machine for winter break means it'll be a gap. Actually, I could use some help as to the custom liquid stuff as well. The water 2.0 extreme has a double 120 rad on it but I can go triple. Would that alone be enough to dissipate the cpu heat + gpu or should I get a second? There is plenty of room in the case for at least two dual 140 rads.

And what fan is that Johan45? (dimensions as well please)

On the Fx 8/9 Cpu + a Gpu if you don't want to need turbines to keep the temps down I think you'll need 4*120 in raddage minimum.

It'll be a bit before I can do anything. Finals and not being near the machine for winter break means it'll be a gap. Actually, I could use some help as to the custom liquid stuff as well. The water 2.0 extreme has a double 120 rad on it but I can go triple. Would that alone be enough to dissipate the cpu heat + gpu or should I get a second? There is plenty of room in the case for at least two dual 140 rads.

And what fan is that Johan45? (dimensions as well please)

I had that exact same AIO and it wouldn't have sufficed for my 8350 to run very high at all TBH. Even my 9370 which i'm going to find out soon will put it to task I'm sure. I'll know for sure in a couple days. My CHV finally came in!!
A lot will depend on your particular chip. What it needs to run!!

I personally love the board. But since it occupies the same room I sleep in I had to disable all the LEDs in the bios.

Never answered my question though as to the dimensions of the fan on the back of the board. I'm assuming it's a 60mm or 50mm.

Sorry it's a 50mm chipset fan. Very small so it fits behind the door.

Back