• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4770k: ITX rig; 4GHZ OC, Help finding lowest voltage/temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mjolnir

Hey! I just recently moved into an ITX enclosure. Along with a Z87i Pro, 16GB G Skill 1866CL10 2x8GB kit, SFX 450W PSU, Noctua U9B-SE2.

I'm trying to maintain 4ghz with the lowest possible vcore... I've been using the machine at its current settings for a couple days, and they seem to be fine..? (LLC, Level 4 I believe), 4ghz, Sync all core at 40 multi. 1.075v.

I run Intel Burn Test Very High 10 passes 8 threads, and I max out at 88 degrees on the hottest core.. Noting this is during the day on a 30 degree day in Sydneys upcoming Summer weather/humidity. I really want to bring this max down to 80 or less and manage 4ghz. Is this possible? My setup also has the Noctua U9B-SE2 with a single 92mm fan on front, and the other 92mm that came with it is the cases exhaust. I've got a 120mm NoiseBlocker 800RPM E Loop intaking right just before the CPU cooler. I've built this rig around silence, so the 92mm fans are both running LNA (low noise adapters), but still pumping around 1450rpm each. The SFX PSU is the loudest thing in the rig, annoyingly..

I know very little about Haswell (jumping from a 2500k). I was wondering how this voltage is so far? I'm going to attempt to lower it, it seems stable, after 10 passes no issues, no blue screens thus far. No major issues either with anything after some initial glitches which have since been fixed.

I'll update my Sig in a moment...

Any help appreciated, as well as other peoples potential voltages for such a mild OC, etc.

Mjolnir, I also have a 4770k and the 2500k. The 4770k reminds me a lot of the Fx 8350 in my signature. They run hot when overclocked, significantly hotter then the 2500k. Your ambient temperatures are not going to help you at all. I can run my 4770k @ 4.5 with 1.23 Cpu V and stay in the high 70's/ low 80's. I'm using a Prolimatech Megahalems with push pull fans, my ambient temps are 21c.

As far as lowing the voltage, I'm not a big fan of IBT for stability, AIDA 64 or Prime Blend are my go to tests. That said the process is the same as if overclocking higher, Set 4.0 lower voltage stress, pass- lower voltage rinse repeat, fail- raise voltage rinse repeat.

Apparently prime 95 doesn't work properly with Haswell. Hence the choice of ibt. Yeah your heatsink is far superior for heat dissipation. Plus along with the low rpm fans in my rig and itx form factor. I'm sure the case insides are even warmer than external. Plus humidity. Blah.

Yeah will drop down to 1.050 and go from there. Trying to find where it won't boot. And go from what seems to already be stable (1.075). Trying to find the minimum to boot in. Then working the range to work with.

Cheers for the reply. Though yeah sometimes I wish I found a cheap used 2600k and a used Asus z77i deluxe instead of the 4770k/asus z87i pro... Just for the temp drops.

But then consider the 4770k at 4ghz is probably what. 4.7-4.8ghz on the 2600k? Roughly? So eh.

The high temps just means that's your thermal ceiling for the chip. Haswell may run hotter, but it's still using a lot less power and pumping out a lot less thermal energy than SB. The die is just so small the lid can't pull the heat out of it as fast as it could with SB when things were more spread out.

Lot less? I wouldn't go that far. According to my meter maybe 20w less? I suppose percentage wise that's a lot. But my 2500k was also at 4.5 vs the 4 now.

Yeah when I get more time I'll just keep playing with the voltage... Haven't got the time this weekend though will keep you updated. Thanks for the replies! :)

Either way this chip is going to last me quite a while to come. I'm done upgrading cpu/platforms for a good two years at least. And I don't game as much anymore anyway... So my silent 670 does me well. :).

Back