• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabretooth 990FX R2.0, BIOS 2104

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MediaJunky

Registered
Just wondering how other Sabretooth users are going on with the 2104 BIOS?

I've flashed it recently, setup 4.7GHz @ 1.464v but for the life of me it won't wake from sleep? It passes hours of Prime95.

Had 1903 previously and woke without issue?

Thanks

M_J, someone that sort of just uses the board may well see this and answer. What has happened over the last year of using the Sabertooth and the CHV-z and non-z boards is that many of us have migrated backwards to a very early bios. The FX type bios but not the Vishera/Piledriver bios. The earlier bioses just seem better suited for us clocking the pee out of our FX-8350s. So the majority of us that hang out and help regular are not likely to have used the latest bios.

I even have a bud using a Deneb processor on CHV and he is now flashed back to the first bios for the board that came before the first bulldozer processsor. Back to a bios that was for non-bulldozers. So really most of us use a bios best suited for the intended use. You may have to revert to the earlier bios also if 'sleep' no longer works for you.

Good luck man and maybe someone just using the board will have a clue.
RGone...ster.

EDIT:
Just did a pretty thorough g00gle search and cannot find a single hit for your issue. Not even reading thru the first two pages at the Asus forums by topic of the thread.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
I'm very content using ver. 803, works with the latest drivers and Win7, don't know about sleep though, never use that function.

M_J, someone that sort of just uses the board may well see this and answer. What has happened over the last year of using the Sabertooth and the CHV-z and non-z boards is that many of us have migrated backwards to a very early bios...

EDIT:
Just did a pretty thorough g00gle search and cannot find a single hit for your issue. Not even reading thru the first two pages at the Asus forums by topic of the thread.
END EDIT.

I'm very content using ver. 803, works with the latest drivers and Win7, don't know about sleep though, never use that function.

Thanks for the replies guys, I usually test out latest versions for a month or so then end up going backwards, would love to know who is doing the BIOS testing for Asus :rolleyes:

I had it in my head that it might have been my overclock but its been so stable i'm guessing its just the BIOS. Its worth noting I can't hit the same speed with this revision, I have managed 5GHz on previous versions although I wouldn't run it as an every day, 4.7 seems like such a sweet spot for this CPU.

I'll give 803 a try as I think that was an earlier revision of the one that came with my board.

Good luck M_J.
RGone...

Thanks guy, jumped back to 803 and as previously all is waking as per normal :)

Shame only way to downgrade is USB flashback, would be a lot similar through the EZ Flash :rolleyes:

Anyway, have a great Christmas and thanks for your suggestions.

I'd been running 1903 since it was released, with no issues at all. I popped in 2104 and setup my config again, and its been periodically BSOD'ing, even when idle.

Going back to 1903 today, unless I find something I missed.

Update... I was actually on rev 2005 prior to 2104. In any case, I did a flashback to 2005, and all is normal again. Been running for several hours with no BSOD.

Update...all is normal again. Been running for several hours with no BSOD.

That sounds about like mostly what the rest of us have had to do. I have no idea what the later bioses are supposed to fix. Increase compatibility is the reason given a lot of the time and if I am running fine...sure has h*ll am not going to ask for trouble. I have a buddy that has to flash forward to "see" and I just wait until he gets done and then don't have to flash. I am on the third release of bios for original CHV non-Z board and no reason to go forward.
RGone...

One difference I see is the ram, which is where the newer ones "seemed" to be messing up. Perhaps they made changes that favour your corsair.

Well, as my next cpu will be an 8350, so no real reason for me to flash forward at this point anyways. rev 2005 works fine, and my overclock is entirely stable. I suspect Asus will have another bios update sooner than later, I cant imagine them not being aware of the 2104 issues at this point.

Hi guys,
Im running my sabertooth w/ bios updated to 2104.
My cpu is fx9590, memory is PV316G213C1K (16GB), timing 11,11,11,30, 2133MHz, ecc disabled.
gpu is asus HD7870-DC2-2GD5.
Tried to install win 8.1, but after installation random reboots w/o no availability to do something.
Then I tried to installed win7 and system installed, tried to install drivers and all good (except if I installed driver for gpu from amd website, then random reboots, when istalled driver from asus site-all good.)
Then I installed eset-random reboots.
I formatted hdd, reinstalled win7 and drivers, all was ok.
So when I tried to install win updates, random reboots w/o no info. I also run aida64 stress test before win updates and assassin's creed brotherhood set to full details - both w/ no problem.
Im really freaking out.:(
I suppose its caused by the damn bios version.
But unfortunately I have no flashback.
Guys, please can you post here or send me to my mailbox (djsmeegy at seznam.cz) flashback files for version 1903 and 2005?
I assumed theres no possibility to just downgrade, am I right?
Thanx in advance, Jakub

The files for Flashback are just the regular BIOS files, but renamed. Download the version you want, stick in on a flash-stick, and rename the file according to the spec given in the users manual, last I saw ST990R20.CAP

Follow the instruction on page 2-12 of the users manual.

Thank you @KetoSoi, I also googled the flashback and found the steps on web too.
Today I'll test v.2005, and I hope it will be good, cause Im really mad from this random reboots.

Jake

I don't know if it will work properly with windows8 but I use ver.803. It works fine with my 9370. I think some of the newer bios ver. are a bit wonky and this one works great. One thing I want to ask though. When you installed the drivers were they the latest downloaded from Asus or off the CD? I do know there is a point in there where the bios and drivers conflict so use the updated ones from the site

I'm trying to use always the latest drivers from the site.
So I downloaded 0803, 0906, 1903 and 2005 and those I'll test how will be system stable.
I found on asus site, the 1708 bios would work w/ 9370 and 9590, but you mentioned, that 0803 is working well.

So what about your recommendations abt DRAM timing and clock?
I'd like to use their potential and those should be compatible with MoBo even on their clock 2133MHz, but should I test them on some nominal value 1st?

When flashing the BIOS first make sure your system is set to default to minimize risk. Once you get the flash done and system is stable and you have windows working then worry about the ram .

OK, thanx. So I'll reset all to default (as I remember it well the DRAM clock was 1600) and then I'll test stability.

Back