• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-8350 motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dyl

Registered
Recently got an AMD FX-8350 to put in my Asrock pro3 970, though after seeing the state of the CPU socket when I pulled my old CPU out (which was actually in there a hell of a lot tighter then it should be; in the past CPUs have just slid straight out of motherboards once unlocked, this one was still insanely tight after been unlocked) I decided against risking my brand new $200+ CPU. Good choice that was; despite been aligned correctly I bent the pins of my Athlon II x2 270 while attempting to get it back into my motherboard.

Now my question is, what's a recommend MB to go with an FX-8350? Preferably not an Asrock after this experience. Hoping to get something I can slightly overclock it on, though this is not a must.

Edit:
Current hardware:
Power supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P
Graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce GT 610 Silent 1GB (I know... I'm upgrading it next)
RAM: G.Skill Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
CPU: AMD Fx-8350

Good move on upgrading the MOBO, the Ext3 would have been nothing but a headache for you. Not enough power to supply an octo-core CPU like the 8350. My first recommendation is always the Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0. I personally have run this board hard with the 8350 and 9370 and it can take it. You'll also want a very good cooler for that CPU.
Asrock makes the EXT4990 which seems like it would handle the FX fairly well but we haven't seen much of it in this forum or the EXT9 but it's still up in the same price range as the Sabo.
If you decide to go with a lower power phase like the ASUS M5A series they'll still run an 8350 but you'll be limited as to what you can do by heat.

I saw this on the HWbot looks like a new Motherboard maybe for the FX 8350 its been a while since a new board has been released. But i would humbly leave it to those who know about these things. To say yes or no as i would not know if its a rehash!!

1, http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Fatal1tyKiller/

Could be of some interest to the OP, Just click on the 990FX KILLER BUTTON!! ;) :thup:

AJ.

Good move on upgrading the MOBO, the Ext3 would have been nothing but a headache for you.

It's actually a pro3, even worse then ext3 sadly. That's another reason for upgrading.

Thanks for the help btw. :D

I saw this on the HWbot looks like a new Motherboard maybe for the FX 8350 its been a while since a new board has been released. But i would humbly leave it to those who know about these things. To say yes or no as i would not know if its a rehash!!

1, http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Fatal1tyKiller/

Could be of some interest to the OP, Just click on the 990FX KILLER BUTTON!! ;) :thup:

AJ.

Ya it's a Fatal1ty re-vamp which was kind of interesting since AMD hasn't extended the FX line AFIK. They did do some experimenting with the mSATA and it makes sense to try it on an AMD board since it has more PCIe lanes than the Intel boards can offer. It was still odd though.

Well my friend i suppose anything now is better than nothing, because you are running out of Motherboards right now. I think we are down to 3 contenders, so if this works Johan it would be great. Revamp or not!

EDIT: Just checked Newegg they have the Intel Mobo, but i can not see the AMD one yet!!

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57-358^13-157-358-TS&percm=13-157-358:$$$$$$$

These 3 are what myself and Johan would reconmend to you OP for your FX 8350 CPU! ;) :thup:

AJ.

Last edited:
Yes true but the OLD Fatal1ty worked fine. I just found it strange to re-vamp an AM3+ board since as far as we know the FX line is done and so is Socket AM3+, just leaves room for speculation that FX 9xxx may not be the end of line.

That's the same board but seems awfully pricey. Ah I see you're shopping down under. I checked out of curiosity the CHV-Z price and it was over $300. That still seems like alot when you compare currencies. CAD and AUD aren't that far off from each other. And the Sabertooth here is $180, I guess it must be because of shipping, ha ha even though China is closer to you than me.

That's the same board but seems awfully pricey. Ah I see you're shopping down under. I checked out of curiosity the CHV-Z price and it was over $300. That still seems like alot when you compare currencies. CAD and AUD aren't that far off from each other. And the Sabertooth here is $180, I guess it must be because of shipping, ha ha even though China is closer to you than me.

Australia's always a tad pricier, sadly. Cheapest for it here is about $215, though I personally prefer to pay the $10 extra (once you count the difference in postage prices between sites, it's actually about ~$5 extra with PCCGs cheaper postage) to get it from a site I know and trust; have used them many times in the past. Overnight shipping, arrives the next day. (Y)

Ya I tend to stick to certain suppliers that way I at least know what to expect. If I can I go to a local( about an hour drive) shop called CanadaComputers. They do their best to match or quite often beat the big guys like Newegg and TigerDirect. It helps when they recognize you and know that when you bring something back you're not making **** up. That you actually know what you're talking about.

Thanks for the help guys, going to go with PCCG for now though as I was having problems with the 8350 in the past and they'll be able to test it for me before I buy a new MB. If you count express postage, it's only $1 difference... Not counting any possible deals I can get from PCCG. :D

Well Dyl we can only but try, but they did mention free Delivery in the Blurb!!

Back