• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Gigabyte G1. Sniper Z87 Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Gigabyte's G1-Killer series motherboards bring a unique set of features coupled with a distinctive look, which makes them stand out in a crowd. We've already reviewed the G1. Sniper AMD offering and came away impressed with its performance, features, and rock solid stability. This time around, we move over to the Intel side and have a look at the G1. Sniper Z87.
... Return to article to continue reading.

As always, excellent review!!

I have always loved these boards...I went away from them because the last time I had one (z68?) I was unable to use the front panel audio as the ones included in cases didn't match their pinout and work. Did you by chance try that?

Hey Joe,
Here is the HD and AC97 pin assignments from the manual, hopefully that helps answer your question.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 85
Well, I have no idea what a default case pinout is. I just know that anything Soundblaster related needs a special cable for the front panel... at least when I rocked one.

Oh well, thanks! :)

I just compared the pinouts to a couple ASUS boards (M6F & M5F) and they are the same as the pic above. I have used those ASUS board's FP audio connections and they worked fine with the couple cases I used them with.

looks like a good board.
for the price quite alot of nice features.
the Killer™ E2200 LAN with high ESD Protection is kind of a joke imho i have it on my msi laptop both wireless and wired and run it with the software off its all gimmicks imho but thats beside the point.

The sound options are really nice looking good to see a board coming with some amplification for once.

To bad for like $175 they couldn't have gotten Bluetooth and wireless 300 Mbps included into that killer setup. lots of people complain about the wireless killer network stuff but on my laptop I've never had a better stronger faster wireless experience something i kind of wish was a standard in today's hardware sales due to rising wireless use.

As far as more sata 6 options i always end up disabling non native intel sata anyhow it just makes boot times longer in the end so i think that's a good move there to save costs also cant use intel software on the other sata controllers anyhow.

Although its alright to see it oc just as well as some of the other setups you have.

Perhaps for review purposes you might want to invest in a golden 4770k something that can clock further to push the limits onto the board 4.6-4.8 seems like a easy limit for any board with any kind of quality at all.

Even the intel DZ87KLT-75K can push a 4770k to 4.9ghz if it has a decent chip and as we all know these intel boards lack alot in the ways of ocing in general.

My DZ77GA-70K held my 3770k back 100 mhz which was a good example of the difference between the asrock z77 oc formula and the DZ77GA-70K intel sent me that's a example of seeing a difference due to board limitations and thats my point with getting a golden chip.

would have liked to see some memory ocing done also this seems to sometimes be a weak spot with certain boards.

Back