• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Install issues w/ga-f2a85x-up4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks

Got the upgraded fm2 mobo and have spent the last 2 evenings frustrated after numerous attempts to install Vista x86 and Win7 x64 so thought it best for my sanity to check in here for some help.

Before installing anything, I downloaded the most recent bios and all the needed drivers directly from gigabyte's and amd's webpages. Flashed the bios to the latest and greatest without issue. Went in to bios and left everything on default except for the memory timings (which I set manually) and disabling the cool n' quiet stuff. Inserted a usb drive with a stripped version of Win7 x64 and started the board. The Win7 install went as normal.

Once in windows, the first order of bidness was to install the chipset driver. All went well except that it didn't install a graphics driver. OK...so next I installed the graphics driver. All seemed to go well but oops....no graphic driver installed. Downloaded the latest drivers from amd and tried with those files. No success. I copied the full contents of the dvd that came with the mobo to a usb and stuck that in and tried manually updating the graphics driver using device manager. Nada :( Switched ssd's and launched the Vista x86 installation. As with win7, the intall process went as normal. From there...ran into the exact same problems as with the win7 attempt.

Dug through the bios and decided to try setting "Integrated Graphics" to "Force". Next I tried to again manually load the graphics driver via device manager. It worked in win7 (woohoo!!) but not in Vista (arrgghh!!).

Switching back to win7 (since it now seemed to have all the drivers installed) and started to install some apps. When trying to install pcmark vantage, the install craps out with a 1935 error during the c++ installations :( (am also getting the same errors in vista). Oddly...pcmark7 installed in win7 (haven't tried in vista yet). Did some googlin' and uninstalled/re-installed .net (didn't help) then tried another fix (from msdn) that I can't find atm (am at work) but it involved a reg edit to point to msiexec.exe and then re-registering it in safe mode. Neither attempt helped the situation.

What the heck's going on?!?!? Why is this giving me so much trouble? Anyone seen these issues before and have thoughts on what to try? Any ideas??

Thanks so much...really appreciate any help I can get at this point :/

Also...anyone know exactly what these things do and whether or not they should be disabled in bios?
- IOMMU?
- XHCI handoff?
- EHCI handoff?

Last edited:
Try rolling the sata drivers back to MS. I had issues on my Sabo because of that. It was a weird list of seemingly un related issues. The bios and chipset drivers didn't line up proper. If that helps you may want to roll back the BIOS

Sounds like ram or as "johan" said it could be the hard drive controller drivers. My money is on the ram timings you set.
RGone...ster.

Try rolling the sata drivers back to MS. I had issues on my Sabo because of that. It was a weird list of seemingly un related issues. The bios and chipset drivers didn't line up proper. If that helps you may want to roll back the BIOS
Thanks for all your help Johan45! I'll just do another clean install and skip installing the amd sata driver. Why would I want to roll the bios back? Skimming hwbot...there are many folks using the latest one.

Sounds like ram or as "johan" said it could be the hard drive controller drivers. My money is on the ram timings you set.
RGone...ster.
Thanks RGone. Not sure about the ram timings....am running stock timings and, checking hwbot...there are many others running the same ram without issues (as far as i can tell anyway). Am using 2x4GB sticks of 2400 tridentx. Should I give them a try on the dreaded 'auto' settings?

My thinking was just to get the driver version and bios to line up. And my experiences so far with the FX line, most recent BIOS isn't always the best bios. They add a lot of crap for Win8/8.1 that doesn't always seem to help, slight mods with the drivers etc.. You weren't specific about which processor you're using but I assume it's Bulldozer/piledriver based. With my Sabertooth I have found that 803 works the best for me with Win7/ newest sata drivers. I think they're up to 1600 something?? I'm not sure any of this will help , this is just what I have found works for me.

Going to run 5 A-series apus on this setup. Currently loaded is an a10-6790k.

PS- As an aside (and so this thread isn't all misery)...psyched on the repaired/updated/regassed ss! -49.7C @ idle, -44.7C @ load. Figure a 5C delta's pretty darn solid.

Going to run 5 A-series apus on this setup. Currently loaded is an a10-6790k.

PS- As an aside (and so this thread isn't all misery)...psyched on the repaired/updated/regassed ss! -49.7C @ idle, -44.7C @ load. Figure a 5C delta's pretty darn solid.

Giver kicker go Funsoul. Now if we can just get that OS straight.

No love from the mobo tonight :(

Win7x64- Tried clean install. Chipset driver forced the install of the amd sata driver but did manage to find the video driver. Same results as before. Rolled it back to the MS one but still same issue. See below for the error I'm getting. Tried this fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324516 but no go. No pcmark or 3dmark apps will run.

vista x86- Clean install. Chipset install let me un-check the amd sata driver but didn't find the video driver (the other fm2 mobo gave me the same issue) even when I tried to update in manually. No pcmark or 3dmark apps will run.

Tried with 2 other sets of ram (2x4gb mushkin redline 2133 and 2x4gb 2666 tridentx). Getting better-ish results (win7/amd install find/install the vga driver) since setting integrated video to force but still :/

Any ideas???
tia for any guidance

EDIT: Guess I'll try re-initializing the drives tomorrow night. Not sure that it'll do anything but it's all I can think of atm :/

Attachments

• 1935.jpg
    1935.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I found this about the error. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-package/ba85da33-2152-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5 They mention the .net framework and I do know for most of the AMD drivers .net is needed. Maybe your install version isn't current enough or conflicting with the AMD stuff. Before you force the drivers in possibly install the .net and C++ as a seperate download and see if this corrects things. I had wondered earlier if your stripped versions are missing something the x85 chipsets need??

EDIT : Giga lists different chip drivers for Vista and 7 don't know if one will work with the other??

Last edited:
Hi Johan45!

Yeah...I saw that one, too. Have tried the fsutil command line 'fix', no workie. Also tried un-installing, reboot, re-installing .net, again nada. Yes...have been trying the chipset drivers for each install (also tried the win7x64 ones on the vistax86 install....it's got the 'normal' bin and bin64 folders so tried the bin ones). Newp :/

Am at work so (with everyone's help) will try to build a list of things to try tonight and over the weekend. So far...will try the following:
- re-initialize ssd
- revert back to bios v F2
- clean install of the retail (full) version of win7x64
- download/install .net (before installation of the chipset drivers)
- download/install all versions of c++ (before installation of chipset drivers)
- install amd prescribed chipset driver for win7x64
- test if pcmvantage installs properly

If anyone has other thoughts, ideas or suggestions please chime in! Would really like to do some actual benching and stop farting around with getting things set up.

I think that's a good start, at least you can rule out the Win7 media this way.
See why AMD is so much fun :rofl: It's not a build it's a "project"
Usually though there aren't so many issues.

Got win7 x64. Since I followed the steps in order (skipping the re-initializing step), can't pin it down to the exact issue but I'm happier now :)

Will give vista x86 another try. Works for most 2d as it is.

Thanks everyone!! Will try vista tomorrow.

UPDATE: Wow! So many settings I've got no clue about. Time to search around

Last edited:
Still unable to get the stripped vista x86 properly installed. May have to look around for a full image. Did manage to shave another 46ms off my wprime32 sub with the a10-6790 (under vista x86) but check out the ram timings in the image below for weirdness.

The memory is manually set to it rated timings (9-11-11-31) in bios but showing as 12-17-17-40 in cpu-z. What the heck?!? Tried numerous times with 2 sets of ram. Why won't the board take the timings as set in the bios????

A little lost in the memory settings. Tried setting all those performance ones to 4 but it didn't seem to make a difference.

So...taking the thread a little sideways...now trying to figure out:
- how the heck to get this setup properly running vista x86 (may need a full image)
- settings optimization...help me get the most outta this thing

Thoughts? Ideas? Links?
TIA!

Attachments

• a10-6790-wp32-12.091.jpg
    a10-6790-wp32-12.091.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 82
  • bios-ram1.jpg
    bios-ram1.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 78
  • bios-ram2.jpg
    bios-ram2.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 79
At least you're getting somewhere. The only thing I could think of for the ram is som,e type of OC or ram profile set in BIOS. Check for something like that enabled maybe???

Got the memory issue squared away. Had the slots reversed :/

Overclock's decent and, so far, my 2D scores have improved substantially but still not getting the right bang for the buck on the 3D or pcmark benches. Boosting all the memory performance options didn't impact any of the 2d runs but did add to my 1 decent 3d score (aqaumark...went from 200k to 205k).

Looking through a lot of top subs for a10/a8...almost all are super high bclk with low multi so will reset everything and focus on finding the highest bclk then stepping up the multi and see where that gets me.

UPDATE: Hmmmm....having some trouble with raising bclk. I'm posting but the system hangs for a couple seconds at the windows splash screen and then re-boots. Getting the same results up to the max tested bclk of 125. Same results at anything between 111-125, 105-110 won't even post, 100-104 work fine. Been using the following settings:
- vcpu= 1.71
- vnb= 1.46875 (have tried from 1.25-1.53 but this setting seems to get me closest to making it to windows)
- nb clock= 1800 (have tried 1600-2200, 1600 and 2100+ won't post...didn't see a difference at 2000)
- cpu clock=38x
- sys mem multi= 18.66

Ideas?

Last edited:
Alrighty then....finally figured out the 'basic' thing I was missing. Based on a pm from TsunamiJuan (thanks TJ!)...did some more searching and found that with apus, bclk can go higher with a conventional sata drive (sata mode=ide instead of achi). Slapped win7 x64 full retail on an old raptor and bingo...120 bclk. Can't get higher or lower bclk for some odd reason :/

So...this seems to help the 3D scores since the ram runs faster (2564@11-11-11-35) a bit (even though I couldn't beat my 205k aquamark score) but 2d is better with the ssd/104bclk since I can get the cpu faster that way.

Only issue now (other than wishing my scores were better) is that the 3dmark and pcmark apps either don't finish or when they do finish, cpuz shows astronomical frequencies for both the cpu and ram. :/

Back