• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking when connected to pci-e 4x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stingl

Hi guys

It seems that I can't overclock a Radeon R9 280x card which is connected to a pci-e 4x slot! Is this true? Can't find any info for this matter.
Card works fine, not for gaming but for calculating hashes for example...

Please don't ask why connecting to a pci-e 4x slot!

I tried different overclocking tools but values for gpu/ram/power are not adjustable. Another card (geforce) connected to the 16x slot is full accessible for overclocking.

So, is this because of the pci-e 4x connection?
If yes would it be the same on a 8x slot?

Card: Gibabyte GV-R928XOC-3GD-GA (REV. 2.0)

Thanks a lot

Hi guys

It seems that I can't overclock a Radeon R9 280x card which is connected to a pci-e 4x slot! Is this true? Can't find any info for this matter.
Card works fine, not for gaming but for calculating hashes for example...

Please don't ask why connecting to a pci-e 4x slot!

I tried different overclocking tools but values for gpu/ram/power are not adjustable. Another card (geforce) connected to the 16x slot is full accessible for overclocking.

So, is this because of the pci-e 4x connection?
If yes would it be the same on a 8x slot?

Card: Gibabyte GV-R928XOC-3GD-GA (REV. 2.0)

Thanks a lot

What happens when you try to over clock it?

My guess would be that there is not enough bandwidth available causing your issues. If the option is completely not available I would also assume the driver is self aware of what PCIe interface it was using and will adjust itself based on that.

Try throwing it in your 16x slot and see if it works?

Nothing happens. With some tools I can change values but they will not be accepted, with other tools fields are grayed out.
Thought that hardware config adjustment has nothing to do with bandwith...

This card is clockable, I'm sure. But change it to the primary (16x slot) display adapter is a lot of work on a well pimped multi OS PC... When you know what I mean.

Card is connected with a simple/cheap 4x to 16x adapter cable.

Btw. in Catalyst Control Center is the overclocking option not available at all. Only "CPU" options.

Back