• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS-7501 Mobo Questions and/or opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamakasi

So i have started a overclocking project

Stats in signature

Now idle it is at 30C

Under load 2 hrs goes up to 46C

i want to get it up to 4GHZ but seem to always run into problems. Is that even possible to get it that high? Thats a 1.2GHz over stock.

1. Is it safe to take 800MHz ram up to 1000Mhz +?
2. Not sure what im doing wrong
3. Let me know what other info you need

Thanks
Rusty

Start at the beginning...is best.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

You can upload more than 3 images by repeatedly use BROWSE for file to upload. Images will appear in the post in the order they are uploaded unless you physically arrange the images differently.

ok so everywhere i read said HT Link frequency was too high i want it between 1800 and 2000. Settings was on auto getting it too 2499.95MHz. I lowered it down manually now its at 1999.something MHz.

1. You are already at 1.5Vcore or slightly more. For 24/7 use I would not want to
run more as it will raise the processor temps, which though not yet over the recommended temperature cap...are right at the line.

2. That is a C2 stepping processor and they never seemed to quite clock as high as the C3 stepping processors. Usually because they required a little more voltage and then temps just seemed to run over the limit of about 60c. You are at 56c now.

3. Generally speaking without much heavier-duty cooling, you are right up there next to a limit. Most of those processors went to about 3.6Ghz with stability and then it took awesome cooling and a great piece of silicon to go much if any higher.

DDR2-1000 if stable during a full 2 hours of P95 Blend mode, should not be an issue. Most of my non-super-performance DDR2-800 ram generally became unstable at about DDR2-912-ish. I could of course get into windows higher than DDR2-912-ish but it was never stable during a full run of P-95 Blend.
RGone...

Last edited:
So thats pretty much it till i get a new mobo with cpu. Time to upgrade to ddr3 mobo and fx processor and see where i can go

Yes, that's about it. My 630 was in my daily rig and at 3.1 stable was enough. Pushing it higher after it's retirement was o.k., just couldn't get it past 3.3 without stability issues on the same H60 you're using.

ok new thought. Since i was told overclocking this wont go any higher 2.8GHz oc'ed to 3.5GHz. Ok lets say i get a 3.1GHz processor should i be able to oc to 3.7 , 3.8?

ok new thought. Since i was told overclocking this wont go any higher 2.8GHz oc'ed to 3.5GHz. Ok lets say i get a 3.1GHz processor should i be able to oc to 3.7 , 3.8?

There is certainly NO GUARANTEE that just buying a newer, faster processor will allow a major overclock. As Robert17 said he had the same board and cooler you have and he could not bust a big number. So it would seem cooling and mobo maybe the limiting factors, no matter the processor stuck in the cpu socket.

That said, I would think if you start with a faster processor you might wind-up at a faster overclocked speed, but the faster processor is going to take more power and it maybe the power regulation circuit on the mobo you have that is limiting your overclock now.

So sure thing if you get faster processor to overclock to X speed? No not a sure thing. Something to try if got the time an money though.
RGone...

Generally, a faster processor in the same product line is in large part faster because it has already been partially overclocked (in effect) at the factory, so there typically is not as much headroom to overclock as it's lower clocked brother.

Back