• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reliable Laptop Battery Seller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyGalaga

This is for an Acer Aspire AS5542-5416. Lots of websites I've never heard of, but it's hard to tell who's legit. Are there certain online sellers that are known for a reputation? Basically, who are the Neweggs and the Amazons of the laptop battery world?

But the hard thing with eBay is knowing whether or not the product is any good. I guess a lot of stuff on there is from Ch*na and I don't my apartment burning to the ground.

But the hard thing with eBay is knowing whether or not the product is any good. I guess a lot of stuff on there is from Ch*na and I don't my apartment burning to the ground.

Everything is made in China. That is why I said know what your getting. My laptop lasts an actual 12 hours with a few tricks from a $30 12cell battery.

The 100% certain way to get a legit and safe battery is to buy it from the manufacturer (Acer in this case).

Of course, downside is they are much more expensive.

Unfortunately, there is really no way to tell when buying from ebay. People lie all the time on ebay, even sellers with very good ratings, and when it comes to batteries, China makes a lot of cheap cells (Japan and Korea make the higher quality cells usually used in official batteries). Unfortunately, there is no way to tell, unless you are a researcher in battery technology, and have very expensive lab equipment. Even opening the battery and checking cells inside is useless nowadays thanks to the proliferation of counterfeit cells.

They may or may not perform the same as high quality cells, but will definitely be lacking in protection mechanisms, etc.

I've never really had an aftermarket battery (from eBay or Amazon) last very long. The closest I've had is a netbook battery that ran OK but I checked reviews and made sure it was supplied by Amazon directly. You have to be extremely careful with random batteries to the point where it's probably a better idea just to buy them from the manufacturer instead.

I am just asstonished on how many people actually buy from retailer. $100 for a 6 cell battery!? You might as well just repair your old one with new cells..

18650 cells go for about $10/cell from reputable sources.

And then if you pay yourself $40/hr...

As an electrical engineer that has designed my own lithium-powered devices and charging circuits, I still buy from retailers.

I am just asstonished on how many people actually buy from retailer. $100 for a 6 cell battery!? You might as well just repair your old one with new cells..

Back