• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are you guys overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kingofsting

I have a Xeon L5639 and Supermicro X8STI-F motherboard. It doesn't appear this motherboard gives me the opportunity to OC the CPU.

Given how underclocked this CPU is, I'll like to overclock it.

Are you guys using specific types of botherboards, using some kind of hacked bios, or some type of software to OC?

Thanks!

You need a non-OEM motherboard to overclock your CPU, so you'll have the BIOS options needed (bclk adjustment and voltages). I guess it's possible to have a modded BIOS for your specific motherboard to allow overclocking, but I wouldn't recommend flashing a custom modded BIOS onto your board.

You need a non-OEM motherboard to overclock your CPU, so you'll have the BIOS options needed (bclk adjustment and voltages). I guess it's possible to have a modded BIOS for your specific motherboard to allow overclocking, but I wouldn't recommend flashing a custom modded BIOS onto your board.

What are good non OEM boards to use for over clocking?

Yea these overclocking motherboards are spendy. Probably money ahead buying more ram or a faster CPU to begin with

yeah any of the newer i5 cpu's will treat ya right for a while!

I only bought a L5639 to upgrade the MOBO I had from 5 years ago from my 920 myself.

Takes a bit of playing with.

Sounds like trying to OC the one you have might not work, if ya want to go faster might start another from scratch, about best bet than going backwards.

Last edited:
Back