• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could this be a bad mount?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tomwa

I recently purchased a new CPU cooler (My stock Intel fan died, simply stocked spinning) and the temperatures are a little higher than I expected after reading reviews from people with very similar systems.

CPU: Core i7 920 @ Stock
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asus P6T
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
Ambient Temperature: 26.7C

The minimum temp according to Core Temp so far has been 42C with the Max going as high as the 90s under load. Is this a bad mount? Did I not use enough thermal paste? (I followed directions and went with the small central pea method this time) Should I just wait the two weeks for the thermal paste to sit?

I oriented the heatsink so that it pushes air towards the large upper fan and airflow seems to be fine.
I've never mounted anything as big as this and I've never really had any experience with overclocking so I don't even know how abnormal these temperatures really are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry if my lack of knowledge in the subject has caused me to say anything too outrageous.

Thanks in advance.

Seems kind of a high temperature for such a well-rated heatsink. You say you have it mounted vertically with the fans blowing toward the top? How many fans are you using? And do you have good airflow in your case?

Thanks for the response cullam3n. I appreciate the use of your time.

Seems kind of a high temperature for such a well-rated heatsink. You say you have it mounted vertically with the fans blowing toward the top?
That was my thought exactly.

You say you have it mounted vertically with the fans blowing toward the top?
This is correct the top fan exhausts upward so it seemed like a good choice at the time.

How many fans are you using? And do you have good airflow in your case?
I have both fans on the heatsink, and the air flow in my case doesn't seem to be a problem though I admit I don't know of a great way to test this.

I also want to point out that all my cables are managed and run behind the motherboard out of the way of the fans.

Last edited:
HS fans are pointing in the correct direction and not fighting each other, right?
Pic of inside your case a possibility? :)

HS fans are pointing in the correct direction and not fighting each other, right?
Pic of inside your case a possibility? :)

If not this..... it's a bad mount.

When you take the heat sink off, take a picture of the thermal paste on both the chip and HS and post them.

I remounted the heat sink with new thermal paste and checked the fan direction (Both are indeed exhausting upward out of the case) and I run about 33 idle and about 60 under load. Is that as good as I'm going to get it? I can upload pictures if that will help.

What's my room for overclocking with my current temperatures?

Pics of your case always help. What is the ambient temp in the room?

Max temp on that CPU is 100 C, but I would not really want to see temps above 90 on a Prime 95 stress run (lower day to day).

HERE is a good guide.

Pics of your case always help. What is the ambient temp in the room?
I'll take a few quick shots as soon as my phone is charged then, the ambient temp in the room is 73F
or roughly 23C.

Max temp on that CPU is 100 C, but I would not really want to see temps above 90 on a Prime 95 stress run (lower day to day).
I did a few hour stress test with OCCT and the highest temperature achieved was 63C.

HERE is a good guide.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, that will help greatly with the overclocking but I just want to make sure I don't have something wrong first. My temps still seem high compared to others users of extremely similar setups.

Does that mean these temps are safe for overclocking? What range should I try to keep my CPU in?

Does that mean these temps are safe for overclocking? What range should I try to keep my CPU in?

Yes.

Keep your temps 90 or under during stress testing and you are good to go.:thup:

I would still like to see those case pics.........

Personally I'd rotate the cooler 90 degrees. That fan installed in the rear of the case would definitely help move air through the cooler.

Also that bottom fan is right on top of the video card. Can you move that video card down to the other blue PCI-E slot and see if that helps any?

Just moved the graphics card down 1 slot and rotated the heatsink so that the fans exhaust out the back.

Back