• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts about the screws for cpu block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

As seen in this pic i have a secondary nut with a spring to add tension to my water block how far should i screw them down?
During my last tear down i noticed my outer housing is bowing like ")".
Does that mean i'm putting too much tension on?
Whats your thoughts? If i put less tension on will i get worse temps?

20131218_000329.jpg

I hand turn it tight crisscross and than I used plier just turn it a little more. No issue on my Raystorm WB.

but how far do you turn them down? All the way or what? I have been taking my all the way down and my outer housing is bowing.

The spring is there, suppose you turn it all the way down until it stopped but I did not do that on mine. I only did what I said above and I have no bowing issue. XSPC hold down plate is not alumimun, turning it all the way down can definately cause bowing issue.

You could tighten them down till it stops. Tighten it before it feels like you're going to strip to head of the screw.

i can tighten the secondary nuts all the way till i run out of threads by hand. But if i do that then i am bowing my backplate, and i feel that isnt gonna help in the long run.

i can tighten the secondary nuts all the way till i run out of threads by hand. But if i do that then i am bowing my backplate, and i feel that isnt gonna help in the long run.

Oh I see what you mean. Sorry, I was thinking of the intel design. :bang head Yeah, I am not too familiar with the limits of the AMD format. Maybe some with AMD experience can shed some light.

Back