• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So i have a disorder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamakasi

My computer specs are in signature.......

So this disorder...i decided i would buy piece by piece for a new build since im old school with ddr2. So PLAN was one piece a paycheck

so i bought the good ol corsair cx600m PSU cool. Part bought from this paycheck ...... then i hopped on ebay and was just browsing. Came across a mobo AM3+ FX support ddr3 USB 3.0 all goodies for a good price. Nah shouldnt buy it i made myself a deal. Next thing u know my hand took over and now its ready to be shipped. This ever happen to anyone?

Rusty

My computer specs are in signature.......

So this disorder...i decided i would buy piece by piece for a new build since im old school with ddr2. So PLAN was one piece a paycheck

so i bought the good ol corsair cx600m PSU cool. Part bought from this paycheck ...... then i hopped on ebay and was just browsing. Came across a mobo AM3+ FX support ddr3 USB 3.0 all goodies for a good price. Nah shouldnt buy it i made myself a deal. Next thing u know my hand took over and now its ready to be shipped. This ever happen to anyone?

Rusty

You have to be VERY careful about what AM3+ motherboard you choose. Do you remember which one you selected? I can look it up for you and tell you what CPUs are actually going to work on it.

Bulldozer and Piledriver based CPUs draw a crapton of current. They need a very beefy power delivery section, especially when overclocked.

Just LMK or LUK what mobo you picked. Hopefully quickly so you can still cancel if it's a pos.

You have to be VERY careful about what AM3+ motherboard you choose. Do you remember which one you selected? I can look it up for you and tell you what CPUs are actually going to work on it.

Bulldozer and Piledriver based CPUs draw a crapton of current. They need a very beefy power delivery section, especially when overclocked.
+1

should work fie for your x4

and yeah I have that disorder as well. Found a cure for it.

Its called being broke lol. no money the hand knows and doesnt take over. God I'm going to have to be careful come tax time lol when i get my refund.

ive just got done reading nothing but headaches about the heatsink issue. Hopefully still ends up ok. redoing case for MAXIMUM airflow.

Of course, you'll have to wait on the disorder to strike again in order to get the DDR3 RAM you need before you can use the new board.

Thats fine. im just worried about the vrm over heating now. now i feel like i wasted my 38 dollars

Before buying a new board I would try the one you have. The CPU you are currently using is not real demanding from a power draw standpoint. If you are thinking of upgrading to an FX in the near future then I definitely would look at a new board.

Before buying a new board I would try the one you have. The CPU you are currently using is not real demanding from a power draw standpoint. If you are thinking of upgrading to an FX in the near future then I definitely would look at a new board.
Ditto!

For a Phenom the Msi board you have or the Gigabyte board you linked is fine. If planning on going Fx 6xxx/8xxx or 9xxx series you need a quality motherboard with a stout Vrm section. Read this before you decide on a motherboard for a Fx Cpu, if that is the path you will be choosing.

here are my goals mind u im a little behind on technology due to a 3 yr prison term SOOOO yea trying to get back on the "horse"

i really enjoy oc'ing THATs my main goal FX most likely isnt going to happen. I just want to get up to 3.7 ish GHz off ocing. Not necessarily with this CPU but maybe with a 3.2 GHz stock cpu or so.

im not gonna buy right away if i did i would have like 7 mobos by middle of Jan. Not happening

Thanks for input guys

Rusty

For the money, an Amd 955be is a pretty good bang for the buck. You can usually find them on Ebay for around $75.00 and they are a hell of a lot of fun to OC. They will usually do around 4.0 with a decent Air heatsink, this also depends on ambient temperatures and air flow through the case. One thing to take into account, is your power supply, Kentek 750W. You may want to invest in a quality unit if overclocking. Kentek are junk at best and if it fails it may take out the rest of the system with it.

Phenom II X4 Deneb HDX955FBK4DGM x955 200 3.20 2M 6M C3 125
Phenom II X4 Deneb HDX955WFK4DGM x955 200 3.20 2M 6M C3 95

what is difference besides obvious wattage?

Phenom II X4 Deneb HDX955WFK4DGM x955 200 3.20 2M 6M C3 95 is an Original OEM Processor with an upward locked multiplier made by AMD for "system builders" with a bios that is not made for overclocking.

HDX955FBK4DGM is an OEM/tray microprocessor << This processor seems to also have an upward locked multiplier. So no overclocking the easier way by raising the multiplier. Did so more checking and this one "might be" multiplier unlocked. Maybe.

HDZ955FBK4DGI is an OEM/tray microprocessor
HDZ955FBGIBOX is a boxed microprocessor
Those two 955 cpus are stepping C2, BE versions and certainly have unlocked upward multipliers.

HDZ955FBK4DGM is an OEM/tray microprocessor
HDZ955FBGMBOX is a boxed microprocessor
Those two 955 cpus are stepping C3, BE versions and certainly have unlocked upward multipliers.

C3 stepping is considered to overclock a little better or use slightly lesser voltage to the cpu for X clock speed.
RGone...ster.

Phenom II X4 Deneb HDX955FBK4DGM x955 200 3.20 2M 6M C3 125
Phenom II X4 Deneb HDX955WFK4DGM x955 200 3.20 2M 6M C3 95

what is difference besides obvious wattage?

Back