• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS Unlocking for K8N Master2-FAR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fastvan67

Hello people! I have a couple K8N Master2-FAR (ms-9620) MSI dual s940 Opteron boards. I have been searching for ways to unlock the bios in hopes of overclocking these old boards.
I have found a reference to the k8t master but not the k8n master. I believe these boards have phoenix bios. Has anyone played with this model?
And yes, i know these boards are OLD. Lol

What bios are you currently on? I know you're using a bios modded for dual core support, but what is the version?
Unless you have the 're-worked' version of the board, you'll never have VID or FID control. I have a beta version bios from MSI tech with OC options but without the re-worked board it's no good to you.

Last edited:
The only mark of a re-worked board would be a MSI tech sticker on the back of the board marked "re-worked, a tech ID#, and the date it was done". It also says "All Warrantys Void".

Ok, ill pull the boards and have a look. What exactly is it that they do to "re-work" the board?

No idea. I would imagine that some traces are re-connected. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it themselves.

Hey Mr.Scott! Found the info! My boards are NOT re-worked, but I did find out how its done. I went to the MSI forum and there it was. A sticky on the main page.

Sooo, would you send me that beta bios? Would love to try it out!

Thanks

Back in the day I had a bunch of Dual Socket 940 Asus K8N-DLs and used to OC them via software using Clockgen. You could setup a "ghost Mode" where it loaded the OC automagically when windows started. I also had one MSI K8N Master 2 FAR (and several K8T Master2 FARs)but can't recall if clockgen worked with it or not.

Back