• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for this odd system?!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nrobidoux

I'm putting together a mining rig and already ordered all the parts. I think it might've worked if I didn't want to OC anything. All the parts haven't arrived yet... actually only two GPUs LOL, but I think I might be short on wattage. I was looking at the EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 G 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 750W (x2) which is a vast improvement from the two generic 600W I have coming. But... when watching the video on newegg.com I became confused about PSUs.

VGA ports... SATA ports... CPU ports... Okay. When I saw the specs on newegg I saw only "6-pin 4x / 6+2-pin 4x" and was like, "Cool! That can handle 4 cards! Let me grab two!" That is until I saw SATA/VGA/CPU slots on the PSU.... which it only has 4 VGA... 2 cards. :-/

What would you recommend for this system:

• Intel Pentium G3220, 3.0 GHZ, LGA1150
  • ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer LGA 1150 Intel
  • Patriot Signature 2GB DDR3 PC10600 1333MHz (x2)
  • GPUs (4 on 1x - 16x powered risers)
    • HIS 7950 IceQ Boost Clock H795QC3G2M (x2)
    • XFX AMD Radeon 7950 DD (x2)
    • XFX Radeon HD 7970 DD Black Edition FX797ATDBC
    • XFX Radeon HD 7970 DD FX797ATDJC
    • ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7970 (HD7970-DC2-3GD5)
  • USB Devices:
    • High Power USB-Yagi Plug and Play directional WiFi Antenna 802.11n 2200mW
    • ADATA DashDrive UV150 8GB USB 3.0 (x2)
    • Raygo Wireless KBM Combo
    • Powered USB 2.0 10 Port Hub
      • ASICMiner Block Erupter USB 330MH/s Sapphire Miner (x1 .... eventually more... maybe)
  • Linux of undecided distro... looking at Arch

I'm looking at watercooling right now and will more than likely get that as well... 2 pumps maybe... I'll figure that out. I plan to disable everything I'm not using on the mobo to conserve power, only the GPUs will be overclocked.

Thoughts?

Difficulty is at 1.2B, BTC p/ block is at 25 (and I think 12.5 w/in 2 years).

You can NOT mine using gpu's anymore, just like cpu's..

ASIC miners are where people are turning. USB versions like what you have hit the market too late.

Cointerra has 2TH/s miners, not GHs, but THs..
These are already made to fit in server racks, use little electricity, and are already water cooled.

Many companies are shipping these new products soon. Difficulty is going to rise to 2B-5B in a few months, since all of the cards are suppose to be shipped beginning Januaray to March.

I would return everything you got. Look into investments before you buy them. If you do not believe me, take the estimates of what eac card should produce, and your power consumption, and price per kwh, etc into a bitcoin calculator and see your "profits."

Spikes in difficulty already happen at 15-25% per jump, which is every 10? days - BEFORE these ASIC miners flood market.

TOOLS:
Power Supply Calc
Profitability calculator
TerraMiner's 2TH/s

Last edited:
You're looking at a 1500w PSU for that setup. It'll be a while before that pays itself off, if ever.

That said, my favorite 1500w unit is Enermax's gold thing. It's very nice.

Difficulty is at 1.2B, BTC p/ block is at 25 (and I think 12.5 w/in 2 years).

You can NOT mine using gpu's anymore, just like cpu's..

.... Look into investments before you buy them. ....

This isn't for BTC mining, or any SHA-256 coin mining. 'cept for the USB ASICs but at $20 a pop it's just something to fill my USB slots with. It's for scrypt mining.

I looked into this a little before I hopped into my kayak down class 5 rapids, over a 100' waterfall, that I'll take my plunge into the deep-end with. :) Could I get burned? Sure. I have "free" power for now. If anything I'll have a mean folding rig in the end. $3300 in so far.... probably $4300 - $4700 with water cooling.

You're looking at a 1500w PSU for that setup. It'll be a while before that pays itself off, if ever.

That said, my favorite 1500w unit is Enermax's gold thing. It's very nice.

I was going to buy Rosewill's Hercules 1600W.... I saw a video of it, pictures, read reviews, but I can't find it to purchase anywhere. :-/

I guess my real question about the EVGA PSUs is that I'm assuming the 6-pin SATA can't handle the same current as the 8/6+2 pin VGA. If it can I should be good... if it can't... back to the drawing board.

I think I can recoup my costs in 4 months based on numbers I've run, what I'll mine, where/how I'll sell/exchange it, etc. If I can't get it done by then. I'll probably start selling the parts.... BUT.... in the mean time. Just need to get this running LOL. I'm not going to be back at my place until the 7th or so, but I want to have everything there and just start at it.

This may not be profitable... but it sure is a challenge and educational. That's part of the fun for me.

***EDIT***
Looked into the power supply you recommended. It falls short on connections... unless I can skimp on risers. 10 PCIe connectors = 5 cards, no PCIe remaining. 8/10 Molex connectors can be used for the last two, which leaves 2 powered risers not powered.
:comp:

Last edited:
I think I'm going with two FSP Group AURUM PRO 850W (AU-850PRO) .

Did some more reading... looks like I can't use the EVGA PSUs... and I won't have too much room for overclocking as I'll be pretty close to the 1800 watts the average household circuit can handle in short order.

Back