• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED To upgrade...or not to upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Organized_Chaos

Registered
My current setup (listed in my sig) encountered some kind of major hardware failure.

When attempting to power the PC on one night, it began rebooting repeatedly during the hardware check before it tries to boot windows. It had worked fine just a few nights before, so I was hoping someway, somehow that it was just some kind of weird fluke. But after a few attempts at booting the machine, it wouldn't power on at all. The only activity after pressing the power button was a brief flash of the fan LEDs.

My immediate thought was that the PSU had finally bitten the dust. Swapping in a new PSU led to the CPU fan spinning very very slowly for a few seconds and then...nothing. Removing all but one stick of memory and disconnecting unnecessary peripherals changed nothing.

I have no way to test either the CPU or the motherboard (most of my friends bought lynnfield while I went with bloomfield), but I feel like the problem is almost certainly the motherboard, as I've never encountered a memory, GPU, or CPU issue that prevented the computer from powering on completely.

The question I pose is - Should I bother trying to Ebay a used X58 motherboard for what will end up being close to what I originally paid for it years ago, or should I just go ahead and grab a 4770k and Z87 motherboard?

Are you getting any post beeps or anything?

I actually don't have a speaker on my motherboard. but the only activity from it was a few seconds of spinning fans. the next time I tried to boot it, it did nothing at all. I was convinced the motherboard was bad but early Wednesday morning I realized I never thought to breadboard it. when I did, it booted right up. I guess it was shorting out to the case somehow.

Back