• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

970 ASROCK Extreme 3 overclocking guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isogamer44

AMD FX 8350 w/ antec 920 liquid cooling idel: 30 to 35c fullload: 66 to 72c
560gtx Ti amped w/ antec 620 liquid cooled
8gig ddr3 1600mhz
1tb western digital 7200rpm black
asrock 970

Hi so i have my AMD CPU a bit OC by changing the Cpu multiplier around 4200 to 4400mhz (eventually i will how higher by bit). When ever i change my volts or the FSB, my windows 8.1 gives me a crash error prior to log in, and askes me if i want to recover or restore to the previous point. I don't want that to happen since all my important files are in my HD. But why does this happen?

So what i end up doing is just changing the CPU multiplier only, and change everything either back to stock or just auto settings. And everything runs fine after that. Can some one give me a step by step guide to what my OC settings should be with my current hardware specs? I will post later a pic of my bios settings.

:welcome: To the forum abdin

To be honest the Motherboard can't handle an 8 core AMD. Your power section is too weak, that's why adding volts makes it crash, the board just can't do it. I would suggest leaving everything at stock and running prime95 to see if this is even possible before you try any overclocking. Keep a monitoring program open such as HWMonitor free version from CPUid. If the CPU temps get to 70 or the package temp hits 60 you're getting too hot.

:welcome: To the forum abdin

To be honest the Motherboard can't handle an 8 core AMD. Your power section is too weak, that's why adding volts makes it crash, the board just can't do it. I would suggest leaving everything at stock and running prime95 to see if this is even possible before you try any overclocking. Keep a monitoring program open such as HWMonitor free version from CPUid. If the CPU temps get to 70 or the package temp hits 60 you're getting too hot.

hi i am the same user abdin. Not sure what happened with my previous account but had to create a new one.

anyways thanks for the reply, ya i was thinking that it could be my mobo although it says it can support 8core. Now after messing around i am able to get it to 4.2ghz OC with the voltage bit up and ram mhz up, and rest is auto.

You don't think i can reach at least 4.5 to 4.6ghz with this mobo? Cause i think i read somewhere that some guy was able to do so with my type of MOBO..

No I really don't think so. Even if you did manage the Mobo will be throttling the CPU just to protect itself. You really need a better Mobo to run an 8 core CPU.

No I really don't think so. Even if you did manage the Mobo will be throttling the CPU just to protect itself. You really need a better Mobo to run an 8 core CPU.

i see, so right now my current OC settings are:-

CPU Multiplier x: 4200
CPU voltage : 1.350v
NB Frequency : x11 2200mhz
CPU NB voltage: 1.1625v

rest is AUTO

do you think my mobo still throttling my AMD CPU? Cause the games i have ran so far AC4 and BF4 it seems to be running bit better VS my stock settings. I will run 3d marks soon to see the true results.

If i can't go any higher then my current OC settings then the mobo i keep hearing about is the Asus Sabertooth 990FX. Is that a good mobo? Since it has a 990 chip set i should be good for OC this mobo with my AMD X8 CPU?

isogamer, mostly the Asrock 970 Ext 3 is not heavy duty enough to push an 8 core to 4.5Ghz reliably, day in and day out. There is always the lucky few that seem blessed to break convention and make everyone is believe they can do X as easily. It seldom happens that way.

Cause i think i read somewhere that some guy was able to do so with my type of MOBO.. = If you saw someone doing what you think you should be able to do then I would contact that particular person and ask him how he did it. Copy his setup and configuration. I mean no sense in REinventing the wheel. If he did it...you need to know his method. We don't have his method and certainly have not seen such results on a regular basis in the OCF AMD forum sections.
RGone...

EDIT:
Yes the Sabertooth 990fX R2.0 is a very fine board for overclocking 8 core cpus. There are OTHER things that play into the picture though. Cooling. Cooling and more cooling is the key. Fan over the VRMs even on a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 are a most relevant idea. Big Arse Water Cooling of the cpu for big numbers stable day in and day out is a more likely scenario. So you cannot just throw a single part at an 8 core FX processor and immediately run super fast. It most often does not happen that way at all.
END EDIT.

isogamer, mostly the Asrock 970 Ext 3 is not heavy duty enough to push an 8 core to 4.5Ghz reliably, day in and day out. There is always the lucky few that seem blessed to break convention and make everyone is believe they can do X as easily. It seldom happens that way.

Cause i think i read somewhere that some guy was able to do so with my type of MOBO.. = If you saw someone doing what you think you should be able to do then I would contact that particular person and ask him how he did it. Copy his setup and configuration. I mean no sense in REinventing the wheel. If he did it...you need to know his method. We don't have his method and certainly have not seen such results on a regular basis in the OCF AMD forum sections.
RGone...

EDIT:
Yes the Sabertooth 990fX R2.0 is a very fine board for overclocking 8 core cpus. There are OTHER things that play into the picture though. Cooling. Cooling and more cooling is the key. Fan over the VRMs even on a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 are a most relevant idea. Big Arse Water Cooling of the cpu for big numbers stable day in and day out is a more likely scenario. So you cannot just throw a single part at an 8 core FX processor and immediately run super fast. It most often does not happen that way at all.
END EDIT.

Hi thanks for your response, some good points .Right now i am able to clock my CPU to 4200mhz, if i go any higher thats when windows starts crashing for me. I thought it could just be my voltage settings that i am not inputting correctly? I thought if i go let say 4400mhz that means i need to match it up by bringing up my voltage settings? Isn't that how it works?

As for cooling i think i am fine since it is antec 920 and cooling doesn't seem the issue for me. Cause when the crashes happens (when i am at 4300mhz) is when i just surf the net using chrome or firefox, and during that time the heat of my CPU idels around 40 to 55c, sometimes lower. So i am sure it ain't heat issues.

The reason why i bought this mobo cause it was on sale, and reading the specs number 1 being supports 8cores, is the reason why i bought it. And seeing its OC interface settings is another reason why i bought it, cause this MOBO from the looks of it is OC heavy. But didn't realized it would be an issue for 8cores cpu like mine. Cause eventually down the line i would like my CPU to hit 4.8ghz but would suck if i can't do that with this MOBO..

Cause eventually down the line i would like my CPU to hit 4.8ghz but would suck if i can't do that with this MOBO..

U will not do that with any 970 Ext 3 that we have seen. I suppose you could dry ice it and get that high since the cool goes everywhere and helps the weak VRMs by cooling them to some extent.

Of course you raise Vcore to support faster cpu speeds. These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

You can upload more than 3 images by repeatedly use BROWSE for file to upload. Images will appear in the post in the order they are uploaded unless you physically arrange the images differently.

Thanks for the response and guide, here is my info:

Attachments

• CPU 1 info.PNG
    CPU 1 info.PNG
    33.2 KB · Views: 6,565
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    21.7 KB · Views: 6,310
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    27.7 KB · Views: 6,334
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    20.8 KB · Views: 6,199
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

I do not see that in your uploads.

Disable C1E > C6 > Cool N Quiet > TurboCore > and in Windows Power Manager you need to set to performance mode so the captures are AT FULL speed and we get a realistic picture way off out there at your location.
RGone...

attachment.php

I do not see that in your uploads.

Disable C1E > C6 > Cool N Quiet > TurboCore > and in Windows Power Manager you need to set to performance mode so the captures are AT FULL speed and we get a realistic picture way off out there at your location.
RGone...

oops sorry here it is.. forgot to add that in..

Attachments

• Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    44 KB · Views: 6,310
Looking at your max package temps under load you have about 7c of temp room to overclock. That will disappear quickly once you start to add vcore in your overclock.

Looking at your max package temps under load you have about 7c of temp room to overclock. That will disappear quickly once you start to add vcore in your overclock.

So i should just leave the OC settings as it is right now? I don't want to risk losing any data in my computer. Cause i don't mind my computer crashing in order to see what settings i should end up being, but same time i don't want to lose my data.

Down the line i am going to get a Asus Sabbertooth 990 chipset. I should be able to OC very high on that? And do u think reaching at least a 4.6ghz on that type of mobo will be stable enough? I herd good things on that mobo..

So i should just leave the OC settings as it is right now?
You should run Prime Blend 2 hours just to make sure it's stable at that overclock. Making sure the temps stay in check with what was posted above.

Down the line i am going to get a Asus Sabbertooth 990 chipset. I should be able to OC very high on that? And do u think reaching at least a 4.6ghz on that type of mobo will be stable enough? I herd good things on that mobo..
You will most likely be able to overclock to 4.6 on the Sabertooth, though how good the cooling you have will be a determining factor.

You should run Prime Blend 2 hours just to make sure it's stable at that overclock. Making sure the temps stay in check with what was posted above.

You will most likely be able to overclock to 4.6 on the Sabertooth, though how good the cooling you have will be a determining factor.

well i have 920antec cooling for my CPU and i get about 35c to 52c idle, and on fullload i get about 65 to 75c when i play games, but if i put my fan speed on max it stables at 62 to 65c for gaming like BF4.

So i would like to think i am good with CPU cooling since it is liquid cooling, and this is all done at 4200mhz. I also have antec cooling for my GPU 560gtx ti which is also overclocked and that goes 44c max at full load..

Sucks that i can't go any higher on OC for my CPU on my 970 mobo.. i would at least like to reach 4400mhz.. but don't want to risk it since i dont' want to lose all my data.. I still have warranty return policy on my 970 mobo and have about 13days left on it.. if i can get a cheap sabertooth before the deadline then ill try and see if i can get it asap.. and return this 970mobo.. if only this 970mobo will allow me to reach 4400mhz at least.. :bang head

if only this 970mobo will allow me to reach 4400mhz at least.. :bang head

Try 4.4Ghz and see if it will go and be stable for two hours of P95 Blend testing. Just check and ensure the socket temps stays about <72c and the core/package temps stay <62c during the testing with P95 Blend. U have to give it some cpu voltage to get on up there though.
RGone...

Try 4.4Ghz and see if it will go and be stable for two hours of P95 Blend testing. Just check and ensure the socket temps stays about <72c and the core/package temps stay <62c during the testing with P95 Blend. U have to give it some cpu voltage to get on up there though.
RGone...

how much voltage would u recommend?

Man who knows really? This is all trial and error. I would give it what it takes but not more than maybe 1.525 and not so much the temps are un-managable.
RGone...

also i always read that Intel CPU chips takes less watts VS the FX AMD CPU chips... now not to sure about this but usually when a CPU runs at much cooler speed doesn't that usually means it takes lower watts?

Like does cooling help with that alot? I only say this cause my AMD FX 8 chip is running at the current moment at 28c!! This is though only using chrome, but also what i did was opened the window to my computer room thats making it go even below 22c sometimes.. ofcourse being winter here in toronto is what making it go that low. Anyways i just thought since AMD takes more watts from the stats i read online i thought it would run hotter then my current Celsius reading, or there is usually not a big difference between the two CPU giants when it comes to Watts consumption?

AMD says that their temps are mostly irrelevant/inaccurate below 40c. They are not in the thermometer business. They only care how hot it gets at max so they can signal a shutdown.

Back