• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Urgent help required!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterEdwardss

Registered
So I've just installed my new mobo and amd processor after having an intel, everything is plugged and screwed in with the green led on the mobo, but it will not turn on. Is there something I need to do with drivers or something etc.?
Help greatly appreciated!

It wouldn't hurt to know what you're dealing with, parts wise. This wouldn't be drivers either. I would verify that the GFX card / ram and power connectors are all seated properly.

It wouldn't hurt to know what you're dealing with, parts wise. This wouldn't be drivers either. I would verify that the GFX card / ram and power connectors are all seated properly.

It's an asus m78L mobo (micro atx), radeon 7870 GFX card, AMD fx8350 with coolermaster EVO 212, 500W coolermaster psu, 12GB DDR3 1333mhz ram. I'll have another fiddle with connectors but I'm sure they're correct

I would always build the PC outside on the box first, before i would install it saves time and a whole load of hassle as well. Because you could have a short or grounding problem thats why it will not fire up. Or the front case connectors are crossed over and shorting out the power on etc!! Hmmm.

AJ.

I'm thinking the latter part of the above post assuming everything is plugged in on the mobo (8/24 pin pier leads).

Also in looking at the board it is not really made for such CPUs. It is 4+1 phase power. I cannot see as I am mobile but I would check to make sure that board and it's bios are compatible with the cpu in the first place with it being so old (760 chipset I believe).

Last edited:
just unseat everything/ RAM, GPU and unplug everything, then plug it all back in and re seat everything

is it beeping?

I'm thinking the latter part of the above post assuming everything is plugged in on the mobo (8/24 pin pier leads).

Also in looking at the board it is not really made for such CPUs. It.is 4+1 phase power. I cannot see as.I am mobile.but I would.check to make sure that board and it's bios are compatible with the cpu in the first place.

I've checked compatibility and it's all okay. There's one wire that I'm not entirely sure where it goes im trying to upload a photo. It's the coloured twisted strip coming from the power button

That would be either your Powere switch wire or reset wire. connects on the bottom right of the Mobo. You'll need to check the manual for proper orientation.
E_D has a good point. Have you updated to the latest bios release that will support the FX??

lets make this easier, remove the video card, leave it out and try to boot

if it is the same, you probably hooked up the leads to the mobo wrong

That would be either your Powere switch wire or reset wire. connects on the bottom right of the Mobo. You'll need to check the manual for proper orientation.
E_D has a good point. Have you updated to the latest bios release that will support the FX??

Yes I believe that's right. Haven't done anything like that yet, mobo comes with a disc so I was going to put that in when it starts

lets make this easier, remove the video card, leave it out and try to boot

if it is the same, you probably hooked up the leads to the mobo wrong

Yes I tried that and still no joy. I think the leads are wrong somewhere but I'm struggling to upload photos

Please don't tear apart your system before the power plug thing...

Again, it's in the manual where to connect it to. As far as uploading pictures...

OCFinsertimages.png

Yes I believe that's right. Haven't done anything like that yet, mobo comes with a disc so I was going to put that in when it starts

You can't update the bios from disc and it's hard to say which BIOS is alredy on the board. If this is new and you can still exchange it do yourself a favour and get a better board such as one of the AsusM5A 99 boards or the new Giga ud3 rev4. Even if you manage to get this thing up and running as E_D says that Mobo is woefully underpowered for that CPU !!!

Back