• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD VS INTEL CPU for future gaming,prices,and overall performance!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isogamer

Okay so here is the thing. The current cpu i have is an AMD FX-8350 Vishera, and i would like it to go head to head with the Intel Core i5-4670 Socket LGA1150. The reason being cause in my canadacomputer store they are 5buks difference between the two, AMD 8350 being $195 and Intel i5 being $199. I was really debating which one i should get between the two since it was only 5buks difference, but then i started to see the type of motherboards it was coming with at the time which also effected for me in price. Intel having bit more pricier boards vs AMD. So that also changed my mind to get an AMD, and the cheap Intel boards that was upar price wise vs AMD boards only had like 2 ddr3 ram sockets to like one PCI express slot where has AMD boards had more features then that for the same price.

To keep this short i just want to know if i made the right decision overall? Cause gaming is my number one thing and games like BF4 to COD to Crysis 3 is what making me update my computer it order to play them at its fullest. So far i am able to play all the current games with my AMD 8 cpu, but wanted to know if Intel i5 4670 would have made a bigger difference? Plus also i like to multi task alot when it comes to using more then 1 program for video editing/ picture editing, and so far my AMD is giving me no issues on that part.

I also got AMD FX 8 chip cause of what Sony and Microsoft have invested in their current gen console systems, since both companies are using AMD 8 core chip. Isn't it a better investment to invest in a AMD fx 8 chip since the future maybe for multi threading gaming? Doesn't AMD win vs Intel i5 chip cause now game developers will use more multi threaded technology in order to make their games run better?

I don't like to favor one chip over another, but from all the online forms i been reading there are some hardcore intel fan boys that go nuts when ever any one says that AMD can be better VS Intel at times... I mean these guys just bash AMD like crazy. But reading all the online stats there isn't much difference between the two when it comes to this level of CPU performance. I am not fan boy of either of the two, i have both cpu multiple times over the years, and both served me well. Only issue i always have is Intel being more expensive, but as of now for the future of gaming it seems AMD 8 core seems to favor on that..

AMD FX 8350 w/antec 920 liquid cooling
560gtx Ti amped w/antec 620 liquid cooling
1tb western digital black HD
ADATA 1600mhz DDR3 8GIG memory
AS ROCK 970 Extreme 3 mobo
1000wat antec PSU

Last edited:
Edited because I opened my keyboard mouth before thinking :)
-----------

Neither CPU will be a bottleneck for today's games.

The AMD is going to give you more cores (8 vs. 4 in the i5), but the Intel chip has hyperthreading capabilities, which gives you 2 threads per core. Since there's no way to predict how game companies will code up future games, it's impossible to say which will have an advantage going forward. I think they'll continue to be roughly even.
This could very well be an advantage down the road as games begin to take advantage of more than 4 cores.

One thing you may have missed out on, going with the cheaper motherboard, however, is overclocking headroom. Clock-for-clock, in single-threaded applications, the i5's instruction set architecture has an advantage over the 8350's. You can offset this by overclocking the AMD chip a bit. How much you'll be able to do so, is determined by the quality of your motherboard.

Long story short, I wouldn't second guess your decision. I'd say it's a coin flip between those two chips. You'll be happy with either.

Last edited:
Neither CPU will be a bottleneck for today's games.

The AMD is going to give you more cores (8 vs. 4 in the i5), but the Intel chip has hyperthreading capabilities, which gives you 2 threads per core. Since there's no way to predict how game companies will code up future games, it's impossible to say which will have an advantage going forward. I think they'll continue to be roughly even.

One thing you may have missed out on, going with the cheaper motherboard, however, is overclocking headroom. Clock-for-clock, in single-threaded applications, the i5's instruction set architecture has an advantage over the 8350's. You can offset this by overclocking the AMD chip a bit. How much you'll be able to do so, is determined by the quality of your motherboard.

Long story short, I wouldn't second guess your decision. I'd say it's a coin flip between those two chips. You'll be happy with either.

Thanks for the response. Ya i was debating if i made the wrong choice or not, but so far i am happy. As for motherboard i got an ASROCK 970 Extreme 3, and so far not that good of a board cause its giving me bit of issues for overclocking. Down the line i am going to get the sabertooth Asus board with the 990chip, everything tells me that is a good mobo for my 8350.

I am also going to have to upgrade my GPU card since it is only a 560gtx Ti to getting like a 760gtx card, after that i should be set. But ya as in for now i think you can't go wrong either way for either of the chip.

You are correct, sir.

Sorry about that. The i7s have hyperthreading and the i5s lack it. Should have just slept in today ;)

Thanks for the response. Ya i was debating if i made the wrong choice or not, but so far i am happy. As for motherboard i got an ASROCK 970 Extreme 3, and so far not that good of a board cause its giving me bit of issues for overclocking. Down the line i am going to get the sabertooth Asus board with the 990chip, everything tells me that is a good mobo for my 8350.

I am also going to have to upgrade my GPU card since it is only a 560gtx Ti to getting like a 760gtx card, after that i should be set. But ya as in for now i think you can't go wrong either way for either of the chip.

The Extreme 3 shouldn't be too far off the mark. Definitely not the best, but far from the worst. I would absolutely look into a GPU upgrade before anything else. At 1080P, if you're wanting eyecandy, the 560 Ti will start to feel old soon, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Back