• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF4: so how much system memory does the game actually use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I noticed the specs on the box say 8 GiB recommended. So what's the peak system memory usage for BF4? 4 GiB?

When I'm playing @ 2560x1600, I regularly notice around 6-7 GiB being used--system is in my sig.

That's what they say on the system requirements but when I upgraded from 8 gig to 16 gig I did notice a better game play. I also usually have several things running. 8 it ran good but 16 it seemed to run better.

Just depends how much is running in the background. Really thats the key point. They say so much because of how much people run in the background. Just because ram is being used doesn't mean its critically to be in memory.

Win7 for instance needs roughly .75-1Gig of memory to function normally for 64-bit.. maybe a little less. Question should be how much memory the physical program is using not the OS.

When I play its always less than 4 gigs although Im not monitoring at peak times and Im not running ultra settings either.

Just opened up BF4 for about 20min on Rogue Transmission, it seemed to stabilize around 3.33GB of usage. Also keep in mind my VRAM stays >90% (1900MB+, max 2048MB), so my RAM usage goes up and down depending what textures get off loaded to system memory from the video memory.

1920x1200 Ultra

Just opened up BF4 for about 20min on Rogue Transmission, it seemed to stabilize around 3.33GB of usage. Also keep in mind my VRAM stays >90% (1900MB+, max 2048MB), so my RAM usage goes up and down depending what textures get off loaded to system memory from the video memory.

1920x1200 Ultra

So if someone has 4GiB or 3 GiB of VRAM would that mean
they would end up using less system RAM when running BF4?

So if someone has 4GiB or 3 GiB of VRAM would that mean
they would end up using less system RAM when running BF4?

Lots of variables there. Resolution, map size, etc. I would imagine it would be in the same ballpark though; there's plenty of things that stay in system memory regardless.

Before I started the game my RAM usage was 8.17GB. When I got in-game it was about 10.5GB, and then it went up 100MB every few seconds up until ~11.5GB. It went up to 11.6GB a few times, but seemed to stay mostly at 11.5GB.

Depends what exe you use first of all...32 or 64 bit. ;)

I have 16GB in my pc and using the 64bit exe I rarely see more than 5GB total for my entire system.

What cullman is talking about is his 2gb gpus paging out to the system ram since at his res at default ultra settings it uses more than 2gb. But yes, if you are not using the capacity of the vram, it would not swap out to system ram.

Back