• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, comments, ideas, suggestions, criticisms

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LawyerLynn

as the title says, looking to do a new build, cost under $2k. I have monitors, etc. just need a new case and "guts." Primary use will be WoW, Minecraft, school work and low level group bitcoin mining. Anyway, comments welcome.

1) SAPPHIRE 100362BF4SR Radeon R9 290 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card Battlefield 4 Edition

2) CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply & New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell

3) ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX gaming board with double-sided ROG Armor, 23C-degrees cooler CrossChill and 120dB SNR, 600ohm audio

4) Thermaltake Chaser Series A41 VP200A1W2N Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

5) CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMD16GX3M2A1866C9

6) SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5" 500GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

7) Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K

CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm

Looks good. Brand on some things is personal preference but my 2c

Why not an ASUS R9 290 to match the MOBO? Case is to... well gamerish for my tastes but if it's what you like :thup: But you obviously like Corsair, why not a Corsair Case as well? 400R, 550d 230T for example :shrug:

Looks like a solid build, but that motherboard is overkill. Get something half the price, IMO. Also, 8GB RAM would be fine, but I can understand wanting to have 16 with that kind of budget. I'm also not a fan of the case, I'm partial to my Corsair 500R, but that's purely taste.

I'm sure the 290 is fine card, but it's certainly overkill for WoW and Minecraft. If your primary intentions for the GPU is mining, I guess that's understandable why you'd want a high end card like that.

[edit]

Just noticed you're from Arkansas. Conway here, you?

Looks good. Brand on some things is personal preference but my 2c

Why not an ASUS R9 290 to match the MOBO? Case is to... well gamerish for my tastes but if it's what you like :thup: But you obviously like Corsair, why not a Corsair Case as well? 400R, 550d 230T for example :shrug:

Letting kid pick the case since he'll use it more than I will. I use my laptop most of the time. I'd take a Corsair 650D case if it was up to me. Asus video card is a possibility if price is similar, just grabbed the first 290 I saw in price range.

Looks like a solid build, but that motherboard is overkill. Get something half the price, IMO. Also, 8GB RAM would be fine, but I can understand wanting to have 16 with that kind of budget. I'm also not a fan of the case, I'm partial to my Corsair 500R, but that's purely taste.

I'm sure the 290 is fine card, but it's certainly overkill for WoW and Minecraft. If your primary intentions for the GPU is mining, I guess that's understandable why you'd want a high end card like that.

[edit]

Just noticed you're from Arkansas. Conway here, you?

Fort Smith :D

Kid is in 9th grade, taking computer classes and school and wants to study computer science in college. He wanted to ensure he had a computer that would last a while and could take some heavy duty stuff later on. He has an interested in Animation Technology and game programming so making sure we have a system that can handle a bit more than what it will be used for right off the bat was a goal. And yeah, GPU overkill is so he can work on bitcoin mining with a group of friends.

Fort Smith :D

Kid is in 9th grade, taking computer classes and school and wants to study computer science in college. He wanted to ensure he had a computer that would last a while and could take some heavy duty stuff later on. He has an interested in Animation Technology and game programming so making sure we have a system that can handle a bit more than what it will be used for right off the bat was a goal. And yeah, GPU overkill is so he can work on bitcoin mining with a group of friends.

Sounds like your kid is going places! I started out doing computer science at UCA, but didn't care for all the math that was associated with it... so I went with MIS instead. In retrospect, I should have stuck with computer science. :)

Fair enough justification for the RAM and GPU, but I'd still cut back on the motherboard, especially if it won't be heavily overclocked (ie, any clocks on air or water will be fine with a board in the $150-$200 range).

The 4670k does not need that motherboard for any measurable criteria. If the MB is an aesthetic choice, go for it.

Personally, I think water on that chip is far from necessary. A medium size air cooler of high quality is more than enough with a decent case.

Your build looks like a lot of fun to play with!

The 4670k does not need that motherboard for any measurable criteria. If the MB is an aesthetic choice, go for it.

Personally, I think water on that chip is far from necessary. A medium size air cooler of high quality is more than enough with a decent case.

Your build looks like a lot of fun to play with!

Backed off the Mobo some and went with http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813130692

Also backed down to the Corsair i80 cooler. Kid doesn't want a huge heat sink covering the Mobo and maybe blocking a RAM slot. Likes the idea of the fan and radiator on a case fan cut out and just a small plate on the CPU itself.

Back