• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temporarily using new GPU, computer freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MunkyTOS

Hey OC'ers,

I recently had to RMA my 660ti to MSI and currently am stuck using a evga GTX 460 fermi. I would have posted this in nvidia gpu subforum but i wasn't sure if the issue was specific to that. My reason for having to RMA my GPU was due to fan failure (one of the two) and assumed it was something internally but after having issues with a previously known working GPU i'm not so sure. I have been having issues with my computer freezing for several seconds at a time, the cursor changing to a distorted, discolored version of itself and also the system hanging on occasion when shutting down or having gone idle for several hours (when i go to sleep). When I had installed the 460 drivers I was unable to find old driver files and looking online, people had mentioned the old drivers get removed when installing new drivers if chosen to but i dont recall if i had or not.

I was wondering what I could check to pin point the issues. My RMA is set to be delivered to me tomorrow so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

*edit*

After i had pulled my GPU i also had set my CPU back to stock clocks because of heat issues. I believe the settings I had saved were the correct settings for stock speeds. Another thing I've noticed is a bite of a wave of horizontal lines moving vertically on my screen, i typically only notice this on screens where theres a large area of a solid color and i believe its more specifically to browsing and dont remember noticing it while gaming. As a side note my capability to run games doesn't seem any off aside from the obvious of downgrading to a less powerful GPU.

Temperatures read 30-35 in real temp and around 40-50 for my GPU in evga precision x (temps in celsius) and these are idle

Last edited:
Back