• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A88XM-A USB 3.0 Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Hello again Overclockers! Its been awhile!

I have a friend of mine who built his very first PC over the holiday break. It runs great, But he has not been able to get the USB 3.0 Host controller drivers to work. It reads power from it, so they work as a charger, but that's it... Windows doesn't recgonise them.

Some Pre-emptive stuff we did trying to fix it:

Updated Chipset and motherboard drivers,

Updated AMD Catalyst Suite, for the display drivers

--------------------------

System Specs:

AMD FM2 A10-6800K running in APU mode until he can afford a dedicated card*That was the idea, cheap initial buy*

Windows 7 X64

ASUS A88XM-A FM2+ Motherboard

8 Gigs of Gskill Ripjaws X CL8 1600 ram

Standard run of the mill 1 tb WD caviar black HDD.

--------------------------

This is the first AMD PC in recent years that I have had a friend of mine build, so I am somewhat lost. I searched ASUS's site for standard drivers install for it, but no USB 3.0 controller specific to the board. It uses the generic AMD controller AFAICT.

I have looked for days on end, to no avail. Any insight is appreciated!

What OS is he running? Windows 7? Windows 8? Windows 8.1?

A number of Asus boards have had USB issues. A couple of AM3+ boards from Asus I have both had issues, esp. with Windows 8/8.1. The last several bios updates offered on the website for both boards have all been issued to correct USB problems.

Which leads me to ask, does your friend have the latest bios installed on the motherboard? If you will download and install a free program called CPU-z and run it, it will tell you what version of the bios is currently installed on the board. Look under the "Motherboard" tab. Then go to Asus' website and see what the latest version for that board is.

Also try disconnecting all unessential USB devices from computer and see if it releases the USB ports.

The last three bioses for that board all say they are designed to >> Improve system stability. That includes the latest one A88XM-A BIOS 1003 which is the 3rd of Jan 2014.
No Usb talk at all for APU rigs. However the flash should not really hurt anything and maybe they meant Stable Usb. Hehehe. Not but maybe.
RGone...ster.

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

We tried to unplug the usb ports first, as one of the preliminary steps, and I live on the other side of the country, so I wanted to avoid a bios update*I do know its the stock bios that comes with the motherboard* As it IS his first pc build.

He is using 3 usb 2.0 ports. Mouse, keyboard, and WIFI adapter, All are essential, and that's all he has on it. He would like to access his other three for a thumb drive, A Game controller, and a headset eventually, but that seems like it might not work without a bios update :(

Had I known that usb problems were prevalent until a bios update, I'd have avoided that motherboard :(

Unfortunately, the motherboard only has 2 Onboard USB 2.0 ports and a third usb 2.0 from the case, Not being able to use the onboard usb 3.0 is a serious hinderance, especially considering he has a USB 3.0 Wireless adapter, which I'm sure the 2.0 can handle the throughput...But it might not be optimized for it. He has issues with connectivity, due to proximity*moving the adapter closer to the router worked, but not a permanent solution*, even though the bars say full, under high internet load it experiences some notable packet loss.

The processor put out more heat than I had anticipated, the stock heatsink/fan really is insufficiant if you plan to use the IGP, Solved that with a Hyper 212 EVO.

If a bios update is the only other solution that comes about, looks like hes going to be cracking out that laptop one last time for the webcam so i can monitor his bios update >.<

Last edited:
Page #50 of 68.

Section 2.6.3 bottom page numbering shows page 2-18 or page 18 in section 2.
Usb Device Enable. Default seems "enabled".
Legacy USB support Enabled seems default
Legacy USB3.0 support Enabled seems default.

THEN
USB Single Port Control
Allows you to enable/disable individual USB ports. HUMH?

If there are NO ports turned off in that bios menu setting, then I would be RMA'ing that motherboard as USB3.0 DOA. Because no search of the internet shows any Usb 3.0 issues with the chipset or that motherboard. The Usb3.0 is supposed to be native to the southbridge so the drivers from the CD with the motherboard should have USB3.0 working.
RGone...

I do find it coincidental that ASUS has benn having USB issues across the line. I'm starting to think it may have something to do with all the OSa that these things are written for. I recall Trents having problems that a bios flash did fix. I didn't post this in any thread but I needed to flash my new Hero because of USB devices that would just quit working. The weirdest would be using the keyboard to enter bios and then it would no longer work while in bios????????????? It seems to have cleared it up for now. I did find something iteresting though .
VIA Sues ASUS For $138 Million Over USB Copyright Issues
VIA Sues Asus Group Companies and Executives for Damages of NT$4.137 billion in Trade Secrets Misappropriation Suit

Don't know if this has anything to do with it but it's quite coincidental.

"johan" I have just gone thru one of those Usb things. That is what I finally decided it was an wrote about in another thread. I have run 1102 Bios on my board from almost day one and then trying to do a cutdown of Win 7...the Usb stick and program got hung. The Usb stick was no longer recognizable and it gave me garbled screens all sorts of crazy azz shett I had never seen.

Finally flashed bios up and back and around and settled on 1503 which is the first bios in the CHV lineup that says fix some Usb compatibility issues. It seems to clock the same as the 1102 that I had stayed on for overclocking, but many of the bios issues with garbled screen and stuff seem gone

I did find out that there is a primary mouse port on the rear Usb ports and for CHV non-Z it is topmost Usb port next to the audio outs. I moved mouse to there and took the Keyboard out of the furtherest left Usb 3.0 port and all seems better for now But to have to do all of that after at least 1.5 years is odd.

But Usb seems an odd duck. I had DFI Intel 1056 board that quit working with a Usb WIFI adapter and pulled hair and bought 5 adapters and only a very old one that was 54G would still work. Got ready to swap another of the 'same' mobo in and went to get the bios for it that was running on the now acting up mobo. Got over there at DFI site and found that particular mobo had "one last" bios from DFI for that consumer mobo. Said fix some Usb issues. Flashed it and my older Usb WIFE adapter went to working and now anything I put in the Usb ports acts a dream. BUT the Usb stuff worked on that mobo for 3.6 years without issue then just took a dump.

These computers can be strange as heck when they work 3.6 years fine and then need the bios flashed to fix what was not broken for the 3.6 years. Go freeken figure.
RGone...

I didn't realize there might be a port set aside for the mouse. I've always used the ones beside the PS2 adapter since they were always tucked up out of the way. I also think it may have something to do with Windows TBH. How else cna you explain everything working for so long and then one day it just goes for a poop.

I also think it may have something to do with Windows TBH. How else cna you explain everything working for so long and then one day it just goes for a poop.

All models of winders unravel over time. PLUS, I do n0t upgrade shett like drivers until the next install. So it was not a newer driver issue. I think it was winders as you say.

On that Intel rig I noticed that it took longer than necessary to shut-down and then a crash and two crashes later the WiFI thing was gone. POS winders. Famous last words. Hehehe.

It was in searching for a workable AFUDOS to flash that I ran across the blurb to use that particular Usb port, since it was supposed to be 'good' even in DOS mode. Tells me it is primary Usb port.
RGone...

All models of winders unravel over time. PLUS, I do n0t upgrade shett like drivers until the next install. So it was not a newer driver issue. I think it was winders as you say.

On that Intel rig I noticed that it took longer than necessary to shut-down and then a crash and two crashes later the WiFI thing was gone. POS winders. Famous last words. Hehehe.

It was in searching for a workable AFUDOS to flash that I ran across the blurb to use that particular Usb port, since it was supposed to be 'good' even in DOS mode. Tells me it is primary Usb port.
RGone...

Ya TOOPID WINDERS , I'll actually have to read my manual and see what it says about both my ROGs, although since the bios flash I haven't had the probs I did before.

Back