• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

max benching temp for gtx580?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi again folks

OK....my 2700k isn't a big winner (maxing out at 5.5GHz) but figure that, before moving on, will use it to do some sli 3d benching. Am running 2 gtx580's under water.

What's the max temp I should let them get to? Read that NV says 97C is the max but read elsewhere that they can go up to 120C before they shut down.

So...whatcha think? Shoot for a max of 110C and I should be ok or better not to go over 100?

Considering that these are water cooled i wouldnt go over 100C because you arent going to have any water left if you do that. I dont know how much you should try to push the chips before you start damaging them though.

Well...didn't need to worry about it anyway. In sli the cards just aren't overclocking nicely at all. They can push 956 with a minor bump in voltage and run under 45C at full load.

Adding voltage doesn't do anything whatsoever in helping raise the speeds and at some point (1.4v, iirc) it seems like some overvolt protection kicks in as the cards just shut down.

That seem weird to anyone else? Am I missing a setting or something?

Well...didn't need to worry about it anyway. In sli the cards just aren't overclocking nicely at all. They can push 956 with a minor bump in voltage and run under 45C at full load.

Adding voltage doesn't do anything whatsoever in helping raise the speeds and at some point (1.4v, iirc) it seems like some overvolt protection kicks in as the cards just shut down.

Bit off topic but how are you even getting the voltage to 1.4 funsoul? I can only get mine to 1.20 using afterburner, did you mod the BIOS?

That depends on the cards Funsoul. All the refernce design 580 had throttling to do with the VRM and current draw. They were popping. So Nvidia put something in there to stop power draw. Here's a thread about disabling it with Gpu-z http://www.techpowerup.com/134460/disable-geforce-gtx-580-power-throttling-using-gpu-z.html
I'm with Manny on that , I've modded the bios and got up to 1.213v and can consistently hit 980 and up depending on the bench but 1.4v is that a hard mod or jus a creative bios.

Nice...thanks for the link Johan45! Will give it a try in the next couple days and report back! Keeping my fingers crossed that that's the problem atm. Mine will hit 950 @1.212 but not much beyond that even at 1.3 :(

Back